The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Is this even possible?

Ok, so heres the thing. I work out with this guy after school 2-3 times a week. Hes about (liberally) 160 pounds. Hes ripped, but rather thin. Sophomore in High School.

We often do sets of 8, 6, 4, 2, and finnaly one. We both do the exact same weight- 165, 185, 190, 195, then 205. I can get through it rather easily- rarely failing on the last rep of each set. He usually doesnt have too much trouble either- though he usually needs me to help him a bit on the last two sets.

However, heres the thing- He claims the ability to max out at 245 pounds. Ive never seen him do it, and the only person that has witnessed the event is his cousin who soptted him. I stated I would be surprised if he could do 220 pounds- another friend of mine assured me that he had spotted him while accomplishing such a feat (though not without some difficulty!)

My question is this- How is this possible? I cannot even bench 220 pounds, as I have only restarted working out in the past few months. Yet I can rep much more easily-and repititions have usually been my weak area, not my strength.
    Could It be possible for someone who reps so poorly to bench 80 pounds above his body weight? He claims its the creatine.
    Ive looked at charts- it doesnt add up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is it possible? Sure.

Should you care? Nope.

Focus on yourself, and your progress. Encourage your lifting partner's progress.

Believe what he benches when you see him bench it. But quit wasting your time worrying about **** that doesn't matter.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well, if its true that changes the way I look at benching. I never knew there could be such a huge difference between reps and max.

It's not true, don't worry about it. And it's not 'the creatine'...

There can be quite a difference between reps and maxes in 2 comparable lifters. Having said that, do not underestimate people's ability to inflate their lifts by 20lbs or so (although I don't think you should call him out on it).

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Is it possible? Sure.

Should you care? Nope.

Focus on yourself, and your progress. Encourage your lifting partner's progress.

Believe what he benches when you see him bench it. But quit wasting your time worrying about **** that doesn't matter.

+1...

I love when people talk about lifting and the weight they do, obviously referring to benching, as if it's the only lift in the world.

I'm going to assume your talking about benching.

I wouldnt doubt it. My buddy who is 150lbs benched 260 at 17... I personally pressed 230 @ 160 and i'm far from genetically gifted.

A better question though is what does he squat and deadlift?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I love when people talk about lifting and the weight they do, obviously referring to benching, as if it's the only lift in the world.
    So true. Sadly, to most it is. Stats are Bench: XXX Curl: XX. *insert depressing waaw waaw wawawa sound here*
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Seriously, I hate that. I can't tell you how often people ask me "How much can you lift?" So annoying.

Banned
    1. dont worry about it
    2. focus on your lifts, not his
    3. chances are, his cousin touched the bar and atleast held it a little
    4. read some bench press form articles and see if you can improve your form, this is how i went from a 205 bench to a 225 pound bench.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Seriously, I hate that. I can't tell you how often people ask me "How much can you lift?" So annoying.
    Hehe...I had a buddy come over last month or so, and he asked me, "so what do you lift?" Obviously he was referring to my bench, but taking him literally I told him what I deadlift, which is double my bench. He didn't believe me, actually bet me $10 I was full of it. I loaded up the bar, deadlifted it, and he refused to pay up. Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzCatDRP View Post
    Hehe...I had a buddy come over last month or so, and he asked me, "so what do you lift?" Obviously he was referring to my bench, but taking him literally I told him what I deadlift, which is double my bench. He didn't believe me, actually bet me $10 I was full of it. I loaded up the bar, deadlifted it, and he refused to pay up. Punk.
    Haha, I'm definitely going to pull that on someone.

I personally pressed 230 @ 160 and i'm far from genetically gifted.
    Same here. I consider my bench my weakest and crappiest lift, but last time I maxed I got 230. I'm hoping to have at least 240 in my now, even despite losing 3lbs. Right now I'm doing a 5x5 of 205lbs and got 5,5,4,4,3, my first go at it last week.

I admit that I'm conscience about what other people I know can lift, but in the end as long as I'm progressing I don't care about others that much.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.