Banned

UPA St. Louis

Just a quick update for you guys as I am beat

875 Squat
    473 Bench
    683 Deadlift
    2031 ELITE Total!!!

2nd highest total of the day, 1st in the 275's

I'll do a writeup tomorrow, but I am super pleased with everything (except my pathetic bench, LOL).

GREAT job Ben!!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Way to go Ben!!!!

That is freakin awesome for a first meet!!

great news ben!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wow, crazy man, awsome total.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

huge total man, nice job

Great job!

Banned
    Thanks guys!

UPA St. Louis

First of all, if you have never done a meet at Eagle Gym in St. Louis you need to slap yourself! This is a great venue with some great lifters coming out of that gym. Rob is quickly making a name for himself as a promoter and the meet was very well run even with the limited warmup space. I really appreciate him putting on the meet so close to us!

I arrived in STL Friday evening at around 5pm and went to the gym to weigh in. The lightweights were lifting on Friday night so I decided to stay around and watch them. Saw a lot of friends lift and even got to see Al Caslow hit a 770 squat and just miss a 809 at the 181 class weighing in at 176 I believe??? Nuts. I stuck around, had some gatorade and water to try bloat up a bit and had a burger while watching some great lifting. Left at around 8:30 and went back to my inlaws house to eat quite a bit along with some more hydration.

Woke up around 6am (I can never sleep very well the night before a meet) and went to meet Reko, one of my training partners, at Denny's to grab some food. Had a good meal, planned out my attempts the best I could and we left for the meet.

When we got there I registered for my UPA card since Rob didn't have any time the night before with the meet starting. Went up and figured out my rack height and relaxed for a few minutes before warmups.

I'm still drinking water and gatorade to make sure I don't run into any hydration problems later on. We started to warmup. I don't remember the exact pounds of my warmups due to the kilo plates, but here's what I remember:
    135x10, 225x5, add briefs, 315x3, add belt, 405, 555, add suit bottoms, 620?
    Fastest 600+ squat I've ever hit.

I opened at 798 just to make sure I got a lift in and make sure my technique was on. Went up, hit it smoothly and decided to hit close to my goal on the second attempt and go all out on the third. I hit 842 as a second and decided to hit a conservative 875 as a third. Had I had more time to prepare in the gear, I don't think 900 was out of the question. Many thanks to APT for getting me a 2.5m set of the black reapers for the meet. I love these wraps!

Many blood vessels lost a battle yesterday, LOL. My face looked grey after the squat was done. My eyes are blown today.

On to the bench, my least favorite lift, LOL. I hadn't had huge successes with the shirt leading up to the meet, so we decided to play it safe and open at 450. Warmups were as follows:
    135x10, 225x5, 315, add shirt, 405 to 3 board x 2

I went up, hit 450 ugly, and called for 473 as a second. I hit it a little better since I think I found a better groove but my lockout was still crap. I called for 490 as a third and just missed it at lockout. I think with a tighter shirt and a switch to poly I will be better next meet. Couple that with a crap ton of board work and I will hit a much bigger number next time out.

By now I'm tired, but not nearly as bad as I thought. I stretched my back out, had some Opticen mixed with a little gatorade along with a couple of granola bars and rested up. I layed down for a bit also just to relax.

The deadlift was the big uknown yesterday. I had never pulled after a big squat in gear and I was still pulling raw. Warmups were as follows:
    135x8, 225x5, 315x3, add belt, 405

I opened at 639 to be a little conservative and see how the back felt. I only needed 645 roughly to hit my 2000 total goal. I hit it handily and i felt good. Second attempt was at 683 which I hit to secure a 2031 total. I still felt great even though the lockout on the last one was somewhat slow. I called for 712 for a third which would have been a meet PR. I got it to about mid shin and knew I didn't have any gas left.

2nd highest total of the day to a 242 named Mark who I had heard was a former WPO guy. He made a 700 bench look silly! And even though he hurt his back on the last squat, he still hit 2100+. 1st in the 275 class.

Next goals: 925 squat, 550 bench, 725 deadlift

I want to take a chance to thank a few people:
    Kevin Rekowski: My training partner who drove over to St. Louis to help handle me. He is a great friend and really helped me throughout the day. Thanks bud!
    Will Noble: Even though he couldn't make it to the meet, he really pushed me to try out some gear and put my hat in the ring.
    Rob Kolberer: For putting the meet on! He really went out of his way to make sure the lifters were taken care of and you can tell he has a passion for this sport. Thanks Rob and I will be back next time you have a meet!
    AtLarge Nutrition: I really appreciate the help guys. You have no idea how much you've helped me and I will continue to support you however I can! Guys, visit atlargenutrition.com next time you need supplements!
    APT Pro Gear: Alan really went out of his way to help me get the gear I needed. Every lift yesterday was in some sort of APT wrap or at least the logo belt. Squats - black reaper 2.5m wraps, logo belt. Bench - convict pro 24" wrist wraps, logo belt. Deadlift - logo belt. Check out aptprowriststraps.com if you are looking for some great gear!
    Stoners Gym: Matt and Amy really came through in helping me get to this meet. I will continue to share stonersgym.com with anyone looking for some great gym wear or even stones and other items. They have a great business going and I couldn't have done it without them.

Great writeup Ben!

I think I will cut and paste this and send it to Daniel so that we can send our customers and members an email announcing how you did.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Great lifting Ben! Congrats on the Elite total PR!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Great writeup Ben!

I think I will cut and paste this and send it to Daniel so that we can send our customers and members an email announcing how you did.

Chris
    Sounds good Chris - thanks again for everything. I'll email you about the pics.

post em' up here!

Banned
    I'm waiting on them to be sent to me - believe me they'd be plastered everywhere if I had em, LOL

Banned
    wow thats really good job.

Banned
    Great work my brother...

Again my sincere apologies for not being there...Parents have a funny way of showing up to town when you least expect...

No get some vikings and a shirt that fits and lets do that UPA Iowa meet in June...Hopefully my knee will be 100% by then

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Just a quick update for you guys as I am beat

875 Squat
    473 Bench
    683 Deadlift
    2031 ELITE Total!!!

2nd highest total of the day, 1st in the 275's

I'll do a writeup tomorrow, but I am super pleased with everything (except my pathetic bench, LOL).
    Congratulations on your elite total

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.criticalbench.com/JT-Hall-Big-Willie.htm
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Great job hittin elite!

Banned
    Thanks guys!!! Will, that's the plan.

Ben I think thats the next meet I'm doin as well. Carp always puts on an excellent meet

Banned
    Awesome!

You had a great meet Ben... congratulations.
    your one thick man.. I'm looking forward to hearing how you continue to progress in powerlifting, you have tremendous potential.

Again, congratulations.
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

Banned
    Thanks Al! I had a great time watching you and your team lift. You're an amazing lifter!

I appreciate the kind words. I really hope that I can figure out a time to get some shirt work in with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I appreciate the kind words. I really hope that I can figure out a time to get some shirt work in with you guys.
    as soon as you find the time, just hollar, your more than welcome to stop by.
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences