Thread: How much protein

Wannabebig Member

How much protein

I take a protein shake (with a complex carb mix) before and after my workout. This seems to cause my stomach to be upset, but I am taking the maximum amount before and after my workout. How many grams of protein are really needed before/during/after a workout? Just want to know if maybe I am taking too much and that is the reason for the upset stomach (I am also going to try water instead of milk to see if that helps).

Thanks,
    ACFalcon

Experiment with quantities and mixture. Also, some people find certain brands give them stomach problems.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Wait, you're drinking milk before your workout? That might be it right there. I couldn't even imagine how bad I'd feel after doing that.

Also, what do you mean by "the maximum amount"? There isn't really any such thing as a maximum amount of anything unless you've just run out of room and can't cram any more down your face.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Banned
    Yeah that maximum amount thing kinda gets me.... i dont get it.. u say before/during/and after... SO basicly threwout the day?

I dont see how milk would be that bad? thing is i used ot FILL my shaker cup... cuz the protein was nasty... and i can see how that would make u feel crappy... but i knwo the protein i mix up only recommends 8 ounces of water.. the milk just makes it easier to drink... but 8ounces any one should be able to knock that otu in 5secs... soo im on to water now too...

But ive read that on the average day for a steady normal person protein intake should be about .4g of bw.... now for people looking to grow they stated about .8g... ive seen as much as 2.0g for everypound... which sounds rather crazy to me... but some people have the recipes where one sitting laone of proteins damn near 100g.

I think thats what maybe what u meant?

I go for about .8 grams per pound of body weight... Works wonders for me!!

Use protien shakes AFTER workouts. The microscopic tears in your muscles after lifting is where the protien goes. Go by the DV%. I normally take 100% of the daily value as a supplement, and eat protien rich foods to be sure I get enough.