The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: DeFranco

DeFranco

I was looking at the DeFranco skinny bastards workout and some of the exercises, weighted dips for example, say max set 3-5 reps...What exactly does this mean? Is it saying do 3-5 reps for as many sets as possible? What are the advantages of this compared to the weighted dips I do now for the wbb1.1 which is 4 sets of 8-12 reps? Also I plan to get off the wbb1.1 for the summer and do the DeFranco Skinny Bastards workout that also includes running and other agility workouts somedays and it calls for supersets, I was wondering the advantages of supersets also. Thanks.
    Last edited by SteveW; 03-30-2008 at 11:28 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    I was looking at the DeFranco skinny bastards workout and some of the exercises, weighted dips for example, say max set 3-5 reps...What exactly does this mean? Is it saying do 3-5 reps for as many sets as possible? What are the advantages of this compared to the weighted dips I do now for the wbb1.1 which is 4 sets of 8-12 reps? Also I plan to get off the wbb1.1 for the summer and do the DeFranco Skinny Bastards workout that also includes running and other agility workouts somedays and it calls for supersets, I was wondering the advantages of supersets also. Thanks.

by dips i think he meant 3 sets of max reps. supersets work your muscles until you cant lift the weight anymore (ideally). its more of an endurance thing.

it means you work up to a set where you can only do 3-5 reps maximum

I feel like Defranco supersets opposing muscle groups. The advantage to this is that you can finish your workout faster without reducing your recovery time between sets.

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a question regarding this routine as well. What is the proper way to work up to a 3-5 rep max? How many sets should I do before? Do you find the proper weight for each set using percentages of your max?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    how I understand it: use a dip belt and attach plate(s) to it and do dips. this will take a session or two to get the weights right. use enough weight (bodyweight & plates) so that you can only do 3-5 reps.

I already do weighted dips with a 15lb dumbbell. It says work up to a max set, to me that says do as many sets as possible of 3-5 reps with a certain weight but to me that does not make sense. Here is the link, I would like some opinions on this workot if anyone has any.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm
    Last edited by SteveW; 04-01-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Jesus Christ people. Work to a set of 3-5 max is handling a weight that you can only lift 3-5 times. You don't jump right into max effort, work your way up to the 3-5 max set. Stop complicating the simple.

Start with bodyweight or a weight I already do 4 sets 10 reps of?

I warm up with bodyweight working up until my 3-5max.