Thread: New to lifting: need some answers

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar

New to lifting: need some answers

Okay, so I am a male/15 years old/hardgainer/5'8"/130 lbs.

I started lifting about a year ago. 4 days a week (mon tues thurs fri) on a regular basis, rarely missing even a single day. Shortly after I began I started taking Whey Protein after workouts.

Okay, enough background, now for the questions:

1) I had been lifting for 45 min-1 hour time slots at the beginning, until I was told that workouts should only be 30 minutes long, because after a half hour, your body gains little or even nothing from what you do, and it could even end up hurting your body. Is this true?
    2) I have gained probably 10 lbs in a year of strict lifting and protein intake. This seems very little to me, especially since I am in puberty and I would almost expect that much gain w/o even picking up any weights. Are my standards just too high?
    3) This has been my schedule for over a year, tell me if I need to change anything in it:

Monday: Biceps/Back
    Tuesday: Chest/Triceps
    Thursday: Shoulders/Forearms
    Friday: Legs/Abs

I have 8 different exercises that I do for each muscle group and I try to vary the reps/sets I do on a regular basis so that my body doesnt get used to my routine.

If you can answer any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
    Last edited by LevesqueIsKing; 03-17-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Legs: Leg Presses, Inclined Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Calf Raises, Seated Calf Raises, Calf Presses.

Back: Wide-grip Pulldowns, Behind-back Pulldowns, Close-grip Pulldowns, Seated Rows, Lying Rows, Reverse Flys, Dumbbell Pullovers, Hyperextensions.

Chest: Bench Press, Inclined BP, Declined BP, Seated BP (this is what I call a machine at my gym which you sit down and push the bar away from you), Flys, Seated Flys, Dips, Pushups.

Delts: Seated Military Press, Shrugs, Upright Rows, Cuban Press, Lateral Raises, Front Raises, Dumbell Rows, Bent-over Reverse Flys.

(Numbers are mine)

1. What's your bodyfat? Your absolutely massive for a 15 year old.

2. 45 minute workouts are fine. I'd limit workouts to 1hr 15min tops.

3. 10 lbs a year is great, provided it's mostly muscle.

4. Your routine looks like it heavily favors upper body. Your routine should be built around squats and deadlift. You look like you have way to much volume, and way too many concentration exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    Legs: Leg Presses, Inclined Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Calf Raises, Seated Calf Raises, Calf Presses.
    Squats, Romanian deadlifts, glute ham raises, pull throughs, walking lunges... do 'em. Leg curls aren't proper hamstring work. Leg presses aren't barbell squats.

Back: Wide-grip Pulldowns, Behind-back Pulldowns, Close-grip Pulldowns, Seated Rows, Lying Rows, Reverse Flys, Dumbbell Pullovers, Hyperextensions.
    Ditch the wide grips - shoulder or narrower. Ditch the behind the neck stuff. Learn to do chins, deadlifts, cleans, t-bars.

Chest: Bench Press, Inclined BP, Declined BP, Seated BP (this is what I call a machine at my gym which you sit down and push the bar away from you), Flys, Seated Flys, Dips, Pushups.
    Flat and incline BB, flat and incline dumbbell, and dips are great. Flyes I like between chest exercises for the stretch, that's it. Ditch the pushups, the pec deck work, seated BP, and I'm not convinced incline bp does a whole lot.

Delts: Seated Military Press, Shrugs, Upright Rows, Cuban Press, Lateral Raises, Front Raises, Dumbell Rows, Bent-over Reverse Flys.
    Shrugs are a poor sub for deads. Upright rows are unnecessarily hard on the RC. Learn to do Arnold presses.

bjohnso: haha, when I read 'your absolutely massive' I started cracking up. Im 130 not 230, sorry, not the best typer. A 15 yo 230 lb hardgainer doesnt really make sense

EDIT: Built: Thanks for all the feedback, I am already working on making those changes and will try them out at the gym tomorrow.

DOUBLE EDIT: 44 views and no one has any advice for me? Im fairly new to lifting so any and all advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by LevesqueIsKing; 03-18-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Sorry in advance for the double post

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Squats, Romanian deadlifts, glute ham raises, pull throughs, walking lunges... do 'em. Leg curls aren't proper hamstring work. Leg presses aren't barbell squats.

Ditch the wide grips - shoulder or narrower. Ditch the behind the neck stuff. Learn to do chins, deadlifts, cleans, t-bars.

Flat and incline BB, flat and incline dumbbell, and dips are great. Flyes I like between chest exercises for the stretch, that's it. Ditch the pushups, the pec deck work, seated BP, and I'm not convinced incline bp does a whole lot.

Shrugs are a poor sub for deads. Upright rows are unnecessarily hard on the RC. Learn to do Arnold presses.
    I have a few questions.
    1) Can a guy do pull-throughs? seriously, I had heard of these, but had never even thought about trying them.
    2) Do walking lunges accomplish something that regular (stationary) lunges do not? Otherwise Ill stick with regular lunges.
    3) I apologize for not knowing very much lifting 'lingo'. Can you explain to me what chins (chin ups? If so, isnt that a secondary back exercise, and a primary bicep exercise? ), cleans, and t-bars are?
    4) Do you mean that you arent convinced that decline bp does a lot?
    5) Similar to #2, will arnold presses accomplish anything that a seated military press will not?

Thanks again

1. HeavyBomber has a vid of himself doing them. Also, look here.

2. unilateral work hits stabilizers, lots of advantages to these.

3. Chins. Do 'em weighted as they become easy. Nothing works your lats like 'em.

4) Declines are pretty much a waste of time if you're doing good flat and or incline pressing. To me at least, I'd rather spend my time on something more effective.

5) Arnies are a nice safe movement, good for rc, seem to hit side as well as front delt. I like to ss Arnies with side laterals as accessory work after heavy millies.

Welcome LeVesqueIsKing...we almost have the same last name!
    5'6", 145 lbs.

A couple of things I noticed.

You could not possibly know if you are a 'hardgainer' (whatever that is) at 15 with your training experience.

You don't mention sports - do you play any? If not, you should.

At yor age, I would do the following, 3 times a week

Squat
    SLDL
    OH press
    Bench press
    Chin
    Row.

After each workout, spend 15 minutes working other stuff (abs, arms, traps, whatever), however you like.

Eat everything your mom makes, including the vegetables. Ask for seconds. Moms love that, and it will make you big and strong.

Spend time doing stuff other than lifting. Run around. Play a sport. Chase girls, whatever. Stay out of the 15-16 year old trappings of smoking and drinking to look cool. You'll look cool when you are jacked.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 03-19-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    A couple of things I noticed.

You could not possibly know if you are a 'hardgainer' (whatever that is) at 15 with your training experience.

You don't mention sports - do you play any? If not, you should.

At yor age, I would do the following, 3 times a week

Squat
    SLDL
    OH press
    Bench press
    Chin
    Row.

After each workout, spend 15 minutes working other stuff (abs, arms, traps, whatever), however you like.

Eat everything your mom makes, including the vegetables. Ask for seconds. Moms love that, and it will make you big and strong.

Spend time doing stuff other than lifting. Run around. Play a sport. Chase girls, whatever. Stay out of the 15-16 year old trappings of smoking and drinking to look cool. You'll look cool when you are jacked.
    1. I understand your reasoning of why I couldnt not know that I am a hardgainer (a hardgainer is someone who makes less gains than the average person even when they complete the exact same tasks at the same rate/performance etc.), but I also know that nearly all (somewhere around 95%) ectomorphs are hardgainers, and I am an ectomorph, so that is what I was basing that assumption on.
    2. Golf, Basketball, and I run.
    3. Are you suggesting that I do all of those exercises every day, and then go on with my regular routine? I will add those exercises to my routine, but I like my schedule the way it is, and I have also read many sources that say doing the same exercises every day is bad training.
    4. Trust me, I eat the most out of any of my friends (ussually spend $6-$8 on school lunch, if that gives you a perspective) but again, I am an ectomorph, and I have an EXTREMELY high metabolism, and it just doesnt go anywhere. Again, to give you a perspective, if I eat all day, even if I am not hungry and full to bursting I continue eating, than i will be lucky to remain the same weight I was yesterday.
    5. Dont smoke, dont drink. Have a lot of friends doing it, but I will not be doing that ****.

Thanks for the feedback.

1) Calling yourself a hardgainer is an excuse. I used to call myself a hardgainer (I was built like a marathon runner), mostly because I needed an excuse for not working hard. I figured it out, and gained almost 100 pounds.
    2) Good. Keep at them
    3) Train 3 days a week. Do all of those each training session. Add weight every training session. Keep your training basic and simple. You don't need a 4 day split right now. If you like to train 4 days a week, use an upper/lower split.
    4) Then eat even more!
    5) Good. A little tidbit of wisdom from someone 21 years your senior: Starting smoking was the single stupidest thing I ever did. Stupider than marrying the wrong girl. Stupider than driving drunk and hitting a guardrail. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Trust me, I eat the most out of any of my friends (ussually spend $6-$8 on school lunch, if that gives you a perspective) but again, I am an ectomorph, and I have an EXTREMELY high metabolism, and it just doesnt go anywhere. Again, to give you a perspective, if I eat all day, even if I am not hungry and full to bursting I continue eating, than i will be lucky to remain the same weight I was yesterday.
    We've heard it before, you still need to eat more, and eat dense foods.

It seems so simple to me. For some reason it's a concept a lot of my friends fail to grasp.

Are you gaining weight? If the answer is no, then you're not eating enough! Eat
    More!
    "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

5X5:
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 216lbs
    Full squats - 235lb
    Bench - 260lb
    Deadlift - 345lb

Yeah, and along with what everyone has been saying I just want to emphasise something...

We all hear a LOT of stories about 'hardgainers' who would eat "massive amounts of food" and gain little to no weight...now, we'd hear these stories after they were all ripped and huge...and what do they always say? Come on...I'm sure you've heard a few stories yourself. They always say that dispite THINKING they were eating a ton, they weren't ACTUALLY eating all that much. Check out some of John Berrardi's articles (google it), he was a hardgainer, now he's pretty big.

Stagg knows his stuff, and I endorse his post 100%. I don't care where you read that performing the same exercises 3x per week is bad (probably bb.com), but given that you keep the volume low, it isn't.

Another vote for you eat less than you think. Eat more.

This thread is a year old.

Wannabebig Member
    well i have a question thats kinda off topic...if anyone can help...

will i get the best muscle growth if i lift every other day or every other 2 days?

is it ok to lift when you are sore?

Quote Originally Posted by emd023 View Post
    well i have a question thats kinda off topic...if anyone can help...

will i get the best muscle growth if i lift every other day or every other 2 days?

is it ok to lift when you are sore?
    I wouldn't go less than 3 days a week unless it's 2 fullbody days with a good amount of volume. Any way you do it, best muscle growth depends more on diet than training.

It's fine to lift when sore as long as it's not an injury.

Wannabebig Member
    so should i keep lifting every other day? or should i do a 4 day split type thing?