The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Few Questions - Losing Weight while lifting.

I'm 6-3 and about 4 months ago it hit me that I was up to 279lb. I started doing a high intense cardio program from body for life and I lost 50 pounds as of 2 weeks ago. I watch my calorie intake as well. I started doing weights 3 weeks ago and as of last Wednesday, I got down to 224. I still do the cardio 5 to 6 times a week and lift 3 times a week.

For example, for chest, I do 3 sets of declines, 3 sets of inclines, 3 sets of benching. I push hard to do 10 to 15 and increase weight when I can do more for the following work out. In the 3 weeks, I've increased about 15 to 30 pounds depending on the muscle group. I'm assuming this is just the initial jump and will slow down.

My problem is I need to lose more weight but I really enjoy lifting as I want to get into shape. As of this monday, I weighed myself at 234. How do I gain 10 pounds? Eating habits have not changed. My dress shirts feel more snug and even my belt had to loosen some. I do notice size in my arms and chest even though I need to still drop the fat. I have actually felt like I feel bigger in a fatter way.

Today, I thought to change it up and ran 7 miles in 66 minutes which I've never done. Boy did my feet hurt . But I did burn 1000 calories. I also did about 2 hrs of upper body weights (chest, tri's, and bi's). Hopefully I'm thinking this might help. I do consume at least 12 glasses of water a day if not more on my harder days.

Am I retaining water? I'm not looking to put on weight, but to drop it. I was thinking my goal would be 217. I could continue putting on muscle mass while burning fat at that number. I did eat sushi the other night which I did consume some soy sauce but I can't see that making me retain 10 pounds in just a few days.

Any suggestions or helpful hints would definetly be helpful and appreciative.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jay24k; 04-03-2008 at 10:08 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    First off, forget about the weight... the main concern is your body fat%. secondly dont worry about how many calories you burn off. the way to lose fat is to increase oxidation and metabolic rate. this will use up more energy, increase your food intake and turn it over faster. you may have used up 1000 calories, but that will be from the glycogen first and foremost, not body fat which your body stores for emergencies, and only taps into oxidising when it really has to as its not the best source of energy for muscle contraction. it takes a while for your body to convert this for energy, so it always goes for the most efficient source first.

but remember as youre weight training and running (especially as youre running with so much mass) youre building muscle tissue. this obviously adds to your weight. but remember that muscle tissue causes an increase in metabolism too (it takes more energy to keep extra muscle mass). its not uncommon to see beginners have a shift in weight this high, when the nervous system has adapted, and your primary method of muscle gain becomes hypertrophy (generally at the beginning stages of weight training, the nervous system is responsible for the gain in muscle strength for up to a few months, which can show pretty good gains).

one other thing if youre concerned about the jump in weight. make sure you weigh yourself (if you really have to) at the same time of day, preferably on the same day each week, when you do the same training. sleeping, eating, going to the toilet, sweating, drinking, etc etc - your weight goes up and down allday and night (i checked myself before and i weigh up to 7 pounds less in the morning than the late afternoon).

just remember, its best to use the mirror and how you feel than the scales. using your weight as a goal will not tell you how much is bone, muscle, fat etc (unless you have those funky scales, but ive never trusted them since it said i had 55% bf - its actually around 10-12 haha).

the bottom line is to focus on the training, not be desperate to keep shedding weight. this makes your goals go arse about face, and the only weight you should be concerned with is the one that youre trying to stop coming crashing down on your head. the fat will shift in its own time, with proper training and nutrition. you could find that fat loss slows down (it usually does after a while) but youre adding extra muscle so your weight goes up.

make your goals training based. with hard work you can consistantly improve this, unlike weight which will shift both ways, and make you worry that things are going wrong. theyre not, the body knows whats its doing, its the result of billions of years of evolution of life. youll see results soon enough, and the fact youve kept at it, and not given up because results arent coming really fast like some novices is a good sign of your determination.

youve noticed the musculature in your body changing already, and you lost weight at first, so you know that results are definitely happening - one small set back is certainly no cause or alarm. but stick it out and forget the scales.

take a photo of yourself now, then in 6 months time and compare. then youll see what all your hard work has done

good luck!

joel

Wannabebig Member
    focus on weightloss. Weightlifting will make you look fatter if you have high bf%.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the comments. I dont look fat. I'd say you can tell I'm still about 10 pounds over weight but to me that seems like a lack of being tone/defined. I'm not looking to bulk up or get huge by any means. My main concern is to have some decent muscle definition and just be healthy for my wife and 2 little ones.

I will have to disagree just focusing on weightloss. Most articles/experts still agree on doing both as they are beneficial. I focused just on weight loss to drop that huge amount in the beginning and I feel I should focus on both.

Anyone recommend any sites that give you a pretty accurate body fat percentage with just measurements? It seems many say at 6-3, my weight should be 170 to 185 and if I got that low, I'd look sick.

Wannabebig Member frankzanewannab's Avatar
    good post joehall..
    to add in j24k, when you began to eat right and cardio for weight loss you eat your fat and your muscle. then when you started to lift you may have put your muscles in an anticatabolic state or an anabolic state. this will cause you to grow and repair more muscle then when you were not lifting. this will slow down your weight loss and even make your weight go up. hence the fat % being you result watcher instead of the scales.
    need hypertrophy

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks again guys. Information is very helpful. What is the easiest method to watch body fat? My scale has it but I don't find it accurate. I weigh myself always in the morning to keep an idea on where I'm at. I'm also wondering if maybe I'm not eating enough. When I was on the heavy cardio, I was only eating about 1300 calories a day. Now I'm up to about 1500. Many sites suggest 2500 to 2800 which seems kind of high.

Wannabebig Member frankzanewannab's Avatar
    yeah.. eat more. calories aren't bad if they are good ones. i'm not saying to jump to 3000 + but you need more than you are getting if you are active in the gym.
    need hypertrophy

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    fairly decent way to measure body fat is to get hold of some calipers. youre doc may have some, or any lah-de-dah gym.

Quote Originally Posted by AL_DA_GREAT View Post
    focus on weightloss. Weightlifting will make you look fatter if you have high bf%.
    This is silly advice.

Wannabebig Member
    It's far too easy to get focused on the numbers the scale says. Focus on the mirror. Take pictures of yourself every couple weeks so you can track visual progress.

Lot's of good posts... I would recommend tracking your calories (where they're coming from, you know, intake vs expenditure and all that good stuff) if you're not already doing so. www.fitday.com is by far the best program for this (IMO) and it's free. To be completely honest, the only people who succeed beyond all others in their fat loss and fitness goals are those who put a lot of effort into tracking their calories and modifying their diet. You can put on the headphones and run until your legs whittle down to toothpicks but you might never lose the gird-weight. You might be surprised at what you find after doing this, and I'll go out on a limb and say you are most likely in a caloric deficit below what you need to lose the weight. Diet is key, here. You can work out more efficiently by taking less rest time between sets and supersetting (for instance, on chest and arms days, include some rows or something that you can do between sets on bench do keep your heart rate up). Good luck!

Wannabebig New Member
    Also take into consideration if your workouts are as intense as you say they are, your body is probably burning roughly 3-4000 calories a day if not a little more, even if you did up your intake a bit to 2 or even 2500 calories a day you are still burning more than you take in, which in the end is what you are trying to achieve to tone/lose fat, dont overstarve yourself to the point of malnutrition, as long as you take in less than you burn, you're on the right track!!

Quote Originally Posted by savagepv88 View Post
    your body is probably burning roughly 3-4000 calories a day if not a little more
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

A lot of advice in this thread is questionable, at best. I would spend some time reading in the diet and nutrition forum.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys again. I appreciate all the help. I feel like I'm pretty good most of the day. When I get hungry for snacks, I eat some nuts. I've read pistaccio's(sp) are very good even though they are a bit high in fat. Unfortunately, my legs won't wittle down. My calves are solid and when I flex them, there is no pinching on them. They are 17 inches around at the widest part. My thighs I could stand to lose some though.

I watch and count my calories a day and am changing my diet to include alot more protein. I'll look into the method you guys recommend for body fat as well. Doing more weight training can be difficult. Full time job, wife, 2 little kids keeps me busy. I pretty much do 2.5 hours of weights and cardio tues, thursday, and sat/sun. The other days, I generally do the high intensive 20 minute 2.5 mile run suggested by BOL and I'm worn out afterwards.

I figure it will take me maybe longer then your average person but so far I'm really enjoying it and look forward to each new day.

Wannabebig New Member
    sorry i dont want to get into some heated debate but maybe you could just ellaborate a bit more when you say I dont have any idea what Im talking about. What would be more correct?

You have no idea how many calories he is burning. <----Period.

Two things...

First off great job so far. Really. Roughly 3 1/2 months and 50lbs lost. Keep up the good work, you've come a long way.

Second, if you don't already, take measurements once a week, too. Maybe one week you wont lose any weight...but you'll lose 4" overall. Good places to measure would be:
    around the largest part of the belly
    upper leg (right and left)
    lower leg (right and left)
    ankle
    chest
    upper abs (between belly button and nipple line)
    shoulders (around)
    arms flexed (right and left)
    and neck

I honestly think this will help you a lot (if you aren't doing it already) because it will keep you motivated, and it's another way to track your progress. So you gained a pound this week, but lost an inch from your belly...wait, and what's this, you put .5" on your biceps? lol See?