Thread: Talent

Hybrid View

Talent

Talent.

If you don't use it, do you lose it?

Thoughts and insights please.

How can you lose it when you're born with it?
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

See below
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-02-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    How can you lose it when you're born with it?
    You may not be able to access it at some point. It's like a trapped memory, it's there but you cant get it.

And I don't like calling it talent... Saying talent implies they are naturally GOOD at something. But in terms of art, good is subjective. So rather than talent, I call it unique perspectives. We just view it as good because they are so different from what we are use to.

In terms of physical strength and the liking I refer to it as good genetics. A "talented" lifter IMO doesn't make sense as a lifter essentially is as good as his genetics and his training to a point. I'm sure to be the best you need a unique perspective no doubt, but this has a smaller contribution IMO.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-02-2008 at 04:31 PM.

"The worst thing in the world is wasted talent"
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    You may not be able to access it at some point. It's like a trapped memory, it's there but you cant get it.

And I don't like calling it talent... Saying talent implies they are naturally GOOD at something. But in terms of art, good is subjective. So rather than talent, I call it unique perspectives. We just view it as good because they are so different from what we are use to.

In terms of physical strength and the liking I refer to it as good genetics. A "talented" lifter IMO doesn't make sense as a lifter essentially is as good as his genetics and his training to a point. I'm sure to be the best you need a unique perspective no doubt, but this has a smaller contribution IMO.

Interesting perspective.

I guess what I meant is a talent that you know, and others recognize, that you have from a very young age. Like painting, or writing, or playing an instrument without formal tuition - that kind of thing.

Let's say you don't nurture these talents... rather you become a generic person who went to high school, did science, went to law/med/business school, studied your ass off, became a corporate stiff in cubicle kingdom...

You pick up your guitar one day after all these years, or you try to write a story like you used to be able to do so well..except that your effort is laboured, amateurish and poor. Has that talent you had been lost, because you did not "use" it throughout the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior10 View Post
    Interesting perspective.

I guess what I meant is a talent that you know, and others recognize, that you have from a very young age. Like painting, or writing, or playing an instrument without formal tuition - that kind of thing.

Let's say you don't nurture these talents... rather you become a generic person who went to high school, did science, went to law/med/business school, studied your ass off, became a corporate stiff in cubicle kingdom...

You pick up your guitar one day after all these years, or you try to write a story like you used to be able to do so well..except that your effort is laboured, amateurish and poor. Has that talent you had been lost, because you did not "use" it throughout the years?
    It's definately possible, don't see why not!

If you don't use your talent...you will just be marginal at whatever it is. I look at talent as just a head start.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    If you don't use your talent...you will just be marginal at whatever it is. I look at talent as just a head start.
    I agree with the man with a talentless screen name

i'm just bustin your balls, but i agree with what you say that talent is just a head start. You have to work at whatever your doing, otherwise you would be a prodigy (sp?)
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

You don't lose natural talent if you don't use it. Anything beyond that however, you will lose if you don't use.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

If you don't use it, how do you know it exists?
    33, 5'-10˝", 205 lbs.

2009 Goal is to join the 1,000 lb. club:
    335 Bench (previously achieved in 2005)
    335 Deadlift
    335 Squat

IronGrip IV's Online Journal
    IronGrip IV's "Before" Pics (03/25/08)