The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

think ill be able to raw bench twice my body weight without supplements?

current stats are:
    135 pounds body weight
    225 max raw bench

going for:
    150 pounds body weight
    275 max raw bench

then:
    160-170 pounds body weight
    315 max raw bench

im hoping ill be able to do 275 by the end of this year and 315 by the end of my junior year. is it likely that i will slow down the gains if i dont use any supplements besides 100% whey protein?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I told you this in another thread: stop worrying about your bench press and focus on your squat and deadlift. Your strength is incredibly unbalanced -- work on that.

No one can answer this question for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I told you this in another thread: stop worrying about your bench press and focus on your squat and deadlift. Your strength is incredibly unbalanced -- work on that.
    never

Well you picked an appropriate username then.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by failed View Post
    never
    In that case, no you cant do it.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    i have bad lower back pain when i wake up in the morning and last time i deadlifted (which was yesterday). my lower back was in enough pain to cause me to walk around like the hulk. i do squat and deadlift but i will never max on either. i also have bad knees which makes it worse. (my tendons are shot from wrestling)

edit - sorry if i'm being stubborn and or rude but all i really care about for maxing is my bench press. since i started working out i always wanted to bench somewhere near 2x my body weight but i always think that since i'm probably going to be around 5'9 that i wont be able to. (as the majority of you know that shorter guys have an advantage on the bench)
    Last edited by frank; 04-02-2008 at 05:42 PM.

honestly if your squat is the same as your bench, something is not right. U should be more worried about doubling your body weight in squatting.

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motoko013 View Post
    honestly if your squat is the same as your bench, something is not right. U should be more worried about doubling your body weight in squatting.
    i can max squat between 275-315 but im not maxing. 225x5 is the most i have done.

man even I can squat more raw than I can bench raw. Not real smart to not squat. I knew a guy who was like you one time. He just wanted to bench 300lbs at 165. Well he got it but one day he took into a sprint real quick and tore his ACL. Just like that. When your body is that far out of balance, bad things happen.

You have bad knees at 15?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    man even I can squat more raw than I can bench raw. Not real smart to not squat. I knew a guy who was like you one time. He just wanted to bench 300lbs at 165. Well he got it but one day he took into a sprint real quick and tore his ACL. Just like that. When your body is that far out of balance, bad things happen.
    im not saying i dont squat, just not heavy. i do some sprints several times a week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    You have bad knees at 15?
    yeh when i wrestled, every time i went for a shot (sort of like a tackle for the legs for those of you who dont know) my knees would have a sharp pain for several seconds.

and like i said to you in another thread, you can injure yourself benching as easily as squatting or deadlifting.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    and like i said to you in another thread, you can injure yourself benching as easily as squatting or deadlifting.
    thats true but i know how to bench properly. (as in good form with my ass on the bench)

i tend to mess up my deadlift/squat form often but thats more likely because i dont squat/deadlift as often as i bench.

To be fair to OP, if his wrestling season just ended and his knee is banged up and squatting is aggravating it then he should try other leg exercises that do not bother his knee until he is able to squat normally again.

I know for me personally when I came off the end of my rugby season I couldn't do back squats without my right knee feeling like it was filling up with fluid on the first few reps and then sharp pain on any reps above 5. So i had to avoid squats for about 2-3 weeks.

i have bad lower back pain when i wake up in the morning and last time i deadlifted (which was yesterday). my lower back was in enough pain to cause me to walk around like the hulk. i do squat and deadlift but i will never max on either. i also have bad knees which makes it worse. (my tendons are shot from wrestling)

edit - sorry if i'm being stubborn and or rude but all i really care about for maxing is my bench press. since i started working out i always wanted to bench somewhere near 2x my body weight but i always think that since i'm probably going to be around 5'9 that i wont be able to. (as the majority of you know that shorter guys have an advantage on the bench)
    At 15, your pain is likely caused by poor form. If that's the case, that's not a good excuse not to squat and deadlift.

thats true but i know how to bench properly. (as in good form with my ass on the bench)

i tend to mess up my deadlift/squat form often but thats more likely because i dont squat/deadlift as often as i bench.
    right, because in essence it is tougher to squat and deadlift than bench. so my thinking is you do the easiest, funnest exercise the most because you are so young. i really think this comes down to an age thing based on all the comments i have read. it is hard to squat and dead heavy. it is fun to bench heavy.(Travis, BPM, and others who do specialize in having great benches and work hard at it, I am not saying it is easy to have a great bench or train bench, just that it doesn't tax the body like the other 2).

that said, a 315 squat at your age and weight is freaking sweet. if your form is shaky with squats and deads, back up the weight and get the form back. add weight slowly. you increase strength in these exercises, it will make your bench goal that much easier to attain. i think you will get the 2x bodyweight regardless, cause it seems like you have sick genetics. USE THEM to your advantage and become the beast the rest of us see you could be.

and,,,, keeping your butt on the bench won't stop your pec from tearing if you are banging away at bench too much. be careful with it.
    Last edited by joey54; 04-02-2008 at 06:39 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

This thread is absolutely ridiculous. You're a stubborn 15 year old. Absolutely ridiculous. A 2x BW Bench is like the low end of "strong". 2x BW Bench is definitely achievable. However, you apparently have the body of a 50 year old man so who knows. Like they've said imbalance causes injury. Due to the already beaten body you currently have, you probably will never be very strong because you'll likely destroy yourself. I might not be saying this very nicely, but the take-home point is something has to change. Don't get on here and ask if something is possible and then refuse suggestions.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    im not saying i dont squat, just not heavy. i do some sprints several times a week.

If you can sprint you can squat and deadlift. And in six pages of posting, why did you never say anything about your knees before...in fact on another thread you said

"that's why i don't squat/deadlift heavy, can hurt your lower back"

You will NEVER achieve your goals with or without supplements if all you want to do is have a big bench. You ARE though, much more likely to wind up with a muscle imbalance which may injure you so severely that you will never be able to work out again.

Sorry to be so harsh, but that is the way it is.