The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Robot Frankenstein themidnighter's Avatar

Progress -- Criticism?

Hey guys.

Looking for a little criticism on my bulk. Wondering if I'm making decent progress, so I can adjust my diet. I've gone from 147lbs to 154lbs in the last 7 weeks.

Let me know what you all think I should work on and where my weak points are. I think my chest has become a weak spot, and even though I'm consistently getting stronger, I'm not sure the progress is showing.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by themidnighter; 04-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Still lean, keep at it. You've probably gained 2-3% bf. How clean is your diet, how much above maintenance calories are you eating?
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

I'm actually suprised at how much of a difference 7 pounds made. Everything looks a little better, and your back especially looks wider.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Everything, especially your back, has benefited from the looks of things. Keep it up, dude. Good work so far.
    19 Years Old
    5'8
    147lbs

Journal:http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=102026
    RAW/Belt - Pre-2008 - Present - Goal
    Bench: ------- 185 ------ 200 ----- 225
    Squat: ------- 265 ------ 285 ----- 315
    Deads: ------- 355 ------ 405 ----- 455

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me [strong]. And when I [lift], I feel His pleasure. -Chariots of Fire(mod.)

Back got wider and wheels got bigger.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj View Post
    Still lean, keep at it. You've probably gained 2-3% bf. How clean is your diet, how much above maintenance calories are you eating?
    Cool, thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what my maintenance calories are... but I'm eating anywhere from 3500 to 4500 calories daily, averaging around 4000 per day. Is a 2-3% bf gain too much? Should I cut back on my calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm actually suprised at how much of a difference 7 pounds made. Everything looks a little better, and your back especially looks wider.
    Thanks man!

Yeah, I'm only 5'7", and I have a very narrow bone structure. Maybe that's why the gain made a difference?

That said -- I'm actually optimistic that I'll get to 170 by the end of the summer. What do you all think?
    Last edited by themidnighter; 04-07-2008 at 11:23 AM.

There is a slight improvement, but personally I think you should wait a lot longer than 7 weeks before taking the "after" pics. If you keep it up, in about 20 weeks there'll be a more impressive comparison.

I'm roughly the same height as you. It's always nice because small weight gain is always noticable. That being said it goes the same way for losing weight, anyways looking good man keep it up.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

In 2 months? holy crap
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I'm roughly the same height as you. It's always nice because small weight gain is always noticable. That being said it goes the same way for losing weight, anyways looking good man keep it up.
    At least there's one good thing about being short. That and easily being able to weave through crowds.

Thanks for the kind words. You're around where I want to be by the end of the summer. 170 by September, by hook or by crook.

Quote Originally Posted by themidnighter View Post
    At least there's one good thing about being short. That and easily being able to weave through crowds.

Thanks for the kind words. You're around where I want to be by the end of the summer. 170 by September, by hook or by crook.
    I'm 6'7" and I weave good too! Well, it's more of a plow-like weave, but just the same....

Great work though man. You can pack it on a lot faster than me. I'm jealous!
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I'm no green giant, but I'd much prefer to be taller than shorter in crowded situations.

Good work. There's a clear difference.

You are gaining some good size but u are gaining a bit of bodyfat. It all depends on your goals in the long run. You look very good for your height and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
    You are gaining some good size but u are gaining a bit of bodyfat. It all depends on your goals in the long run. You look very good for your height and weight.
    Yes, you're right about the bodyfat -- I'm developing a little bit of a spare tire.

Now... I've seen a lot around here about fat consumption in the last few days. I've read up on it, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting viewpoints. But, from what I gather, the body makes testosterone from fat, so eating a good amount of fat per day is a good thing. And that it's caloric excess that leads to bodyfat buildup, and not necessarily fat consumption. Have I interpreted that correctly?

I can tell I'm gaining a fair share of bodyfat (it isn't bothering me yet), and that fat comes as part of a bulk -- but I'd like to limit it, if possible. If I'm eating, say around 150g of fat per day, and around 4000 calories -- should I cut back on calories and fat, just fat, or just calories? Or should I not worry about it and forge ahead the same way?

(also, thanks for saying I look very good for my height and weight! )
    Last edited by themidnighter; 04-09-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    H: 5'7" W: 170lbs

Added about 2-3% BF but added some quality size especially to your legs. I'd give yourself a longer period of time before posting progress pics.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

170's a good goal for the end of the summer, i've been trying to hit 170 for about half a year. It's a pain in the ass to find the right intake where you gain enough to put on weight and muscle but not enough to put on bf% when you don't count calories. I personally like to take monthly pictures and post them in my pictures section but that's for my self to see progress, kind of makes a timeline. Anyways good luck with your goal.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Nah, lol you don't have a spare tire. You just happen to store more fat in your obliques area. I am the same way, so I can relate. Cards has a very good point about finding the right balance. Regardless, you are gaining a good amount of muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
    Nah, lol you don't have a spare tire. You just happen to store more fat in your obliques area. I am the same way, so I can relate. Cards has a very good point about finding the right balance. Regardless, you are gaining a good amount of muscle.
    lol -- it's funny, as I've never really had much fat before in my life -- to see where it distributes on my body. Needless to say, I don't like where it accumulates. lol
    H: 5'7" W: 170lbs

100-120g is probably a good fat ballpark figure for 4000 cals
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"