The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Power cleans video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u0d23XfB0gw

Ok some things I can see...

1) My hips seems too high
    2) I'm not getting under the bar enough
    3) The bar isn't moving fast enough
    4) I cant think of anything else but there has to be more

If you noticed I looked at the guy in the black right before my last rep. The douche decides to pull the catch bars out in the middle of my set. I tell him I am in middle of my set. He just says "Sorry" and proceeds to CONTINUE what he is doing rather than move out of the way. I get angry (I am an angry man lol) do the lift, drop the weight, and leave. I hate being interrupted. Luckily it wasn't a PR or I would have flipped my ****. There is no floor space at this gym and I try to make the best of it, but man he can see im lifting there!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm far from and expert, but I think your elbows should be whipping under the bar at the top of the movement. It looks kind of like you are trying place the bar on your shoulders instead of catching it on your shoulders. It's hard to tell from the angle that you're filmed at, but I think your last rep was the best in that regard.

Really? Because on that rep I was pissed off hahaha.
    I realize it isnt the best angle, but my elbows are high (I made sure of it). Although I do agree that I may be placing instead of catching, I will definately remember that net time.

I have the same problem with not getting under the bar enough. Really concentrate on sticking your ass out back when you catch the bar -- it's been helping me so far.

u wan to drive ur hips through the bar and shrug hard, don't just upright row/curl it. PM fuzzy or wait til he checks this out, or JHarris, and either one will be able to really help u out.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

I need more work on the hips, and I assure you I am not row/curling it up. I made sure of that, although I can see why it would seem like that due to the slow bar speed.

Footballer
    I'd say the first portion of your lift is two fast. You should slow down bringing the bars to your knees and work your explosiveness once you get to the knees. If you watch the lifters in the olympics they're triple extension and shrug is almost a separate move from everything else in the lift.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Ok... were to start.

From the bottom!!!

You had good arch but this got worse as the set progressed, remember the arch, bring the ass lower. The shoulders have to be a fraction over the bar, you are over doing it.

There is a sign of a hip drive, I think you are capable of doing it and are showing an attempt but the main hindrance is your racking.

Use a hook grip, pin your thumbs to the bar. As you get the bar to the top you seem to wrestle it onto the shoulders, this may be quite challenging on the wrist. You want to keep the bar in your fingers, not so much the palm, this will allow you to rack with finger tips only and as such be much more comfortable.

Whilst there is a sign of hips, there is NO shrug what so ever. Your traps should touch your ears.

Simply for the next session,

Use the hook grip, get comfortable with the front squat position with just the finger tips.

Keep the ass down back arched.

Shrug the crap out of the bar and keep those hips coming in.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Thanks fuzz!
    I seem to have trouble timing the shrug, I will work on it.

Tried again today, better but still some probs

1) I dont know when to shrug. I know it should be natural but I just dont know when I should be shrugging hard
    2) My hands are too small for an effective hook grip... how much of my thumb should be grabbed?

As much thumb as you can grab man.

The shrug should start as you are rising on your toes and have pushed the hips through to their max extension.

In all honesty, take my prior advice, stick to clean pulls, not power cleans.

Stop ****ing around with racking, hips and shrug first.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    As much thumb as you can grab man.

The shrug should start as you are rising on your toes and have pushed the hips through to their max extension.

In all honesty, take my prior advice, stick to clean pulls, not power cleans.

Stop ****ing around with racking, hips and shrug first.
    Yes Ma'am!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Ok... were to start.

From the bottom!!!

You had good arch but this got worse as the set progressed, remember the arch, bring the ass lower. The shoulders have to be a fraction over the bar, you are over doing it.

There is a sign of a hip drive, I think you are capable of doing it and are showing an attempt but the main hindrance is your racking.

Use a hook grip, pin your thumbs to the bar. As you get the bar to the top you seem to wrestle it onto the shoulders, this may be quite challenging on the wrist. You want to keep the bar in your fingers, not so much the palm, this will allow you to rack with finger tips only and as such be much more comfortable.

Whilst there is a sign of hips, there is NO shrug what so ever. Your traps should touch your ears.

Simply for the next session,

Use the hook grip, get comfortable with the front squat position with just the finger tips.

Keep the ass down back arched.

Shrug the crap out of the bar and keep those hips coming in.
    is there any exercises you do to increase the wrist flexibility in order to catch the bar in that front squat position. i find myself holding it in my palms as my wrists are not able to bend all the way back...thanks

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Quote Originally Posted by motoko013 View Post
    is there any exercises you do to increase the wrist flexibility in order to catch the bar in that front squat position. i find myself holding it in my palms as my wrists are not able to bend all the way back...thanks
    You DONT hold it in the palm, you just have 4 finger tipes on the bar, you dont need to choke grip it