The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Power Clean Question

I tried teaching myself powercleans this past summer and gave up because my form was bad and I couldn't seem to correct it no matter how hard I try.

I understand all the movements, except the part where your elbows come up and your arms are parallel with the ground, like in this picture:

I have no clue how the hell you guys hold your arms like. It hurts like hell and I don't even get close. I don't knw why but my arms just don't bend that far back. I can just barely couth my shoulders with my fingertips alone, I don't even come close with the back of my hand. Am I the only person like this, or am I missing something.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm hardly an expert, but try to get your elbows pointing as high up as possible, and point them outwards as needed.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Stretch your triceps and wrist flexors like crazy. Also try doing front squats with a clean grip.

If you notice, his wrists are outside the shoulders. It takes time, but you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Stretch your triceps and wrist flexors like crazy. Also try doing front squats with a clean grip.
    Yeah, I've tried doing front squats with that grip and there's no way in hell, lol.

When you do catch the bar, what position are your arms in?

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Yeah, I've tried doing front squats with that grip and there's no way in hell, lol.
    lol, you just gotta man it up. Also starting out with a really wide grip would probably be more comfortable, and you can gradually narrow it down.

Also, I cannot emphasize stretching enough.
    Last edited by Notorious; 04-05-2008 at 01:46 PM.

I tried some low weight today focusing on form. Practiced with the bar for a while then went to 135 lbs. I think most of my form is alright, it's just the elbow/wrist part thats driving me nuts. I tried as hard as I could to pull my elbows up and it felt like my wrists were gonna snap in half. Maybe I'll post vids in a couple weeks to see if I'm doing something wrong.

I honestly don't think you should be doing cleans at all until you can at least hold the bar comfortably in rack position. If you can't, it will most likely interfere with your form quite a bit.

So I guess I should just never do them. Good advice...

How could I possibly learn the rack position if I don't even practice with light weight.

I think means learn how to hold the bar probably via front squats and such before attempting to clean the bar up onto your shoulders. I also have a hard time getting my wrists back into a comfortable position. As stated above try using a wider grip and slowly move it in. And stretch your forearms as much as possible. I try to stretch mine several times throughout the day because I want to get into Oly lifting and racking properly is essential.

One more tip, try overloading the bar a little bit and just stand under like your going to unrack for a front squat and just pick it up a bit and set it down. This will help you stretch a little and get used to the feeling of it pulling your hands back.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

So I guess I should just never do them. Good advice...

How could I possibly learn the rack position if I don't even practice with light weight.
    Like I said, stretch triceps and wrists like 3x a week until you are sufficiently flexible. Also start front squats, or maybe even put some weight on the bar and stand in rack position for as long as you can if you don't want to front squat. It will probably hurt, but you just have to suck it up.

Wannabebig Member
    I had a similar problem, and the advice about getting about front squats is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Like I said, stretch triceps and wrists like 3x a week until you are sufficiently flexible. Also start front squats, or maybe even put some weight on the bar and stand in rack position for as long as you can if you don't want to front squat. It will probably hurt, but you just have to suck it up.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to try loading the bar up and just standing there. I do front squats every other week so I'll try using that grip when I do them as well.

Also in case you may have not noticed the do not have full grip of the bar rather is rolls onto the fingers. The guy in the pic has it on his fingers too.

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Good video Sensei. I honestly think a lot of my trouble is just my build. I've been known to have almost no flexibility. Heck I have trouble scratching certain parts of my back. The stretching you did with that white rod..... yeah there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to do that.

I felt exactly the same when I first started a few weeks back. I found isometric holds in the racked position helped stretch out the relevent muscles/joints. For me, a good 8 sessions over a few weeks cleared up the flexibility problems. Originally I felt, like you, that I wasnt flexible enough, and thought the pain in my wrists and shoulders meant I should stop altogether - but it goes pretty quick if you stick at the them.

You can rack the bar with just the finger tips on it. No need to choke hold it.

Using a hook grip will allow you to keep the bar in the finger end and makes it easier to rack on the finger tips.

I have horrible flexibility, often when I do a full clean I only have 2-3 fingers under the bar with the rest hanging out int he full squat position. When I stand explosviely I flick the bar off my shoulders so I can get my fingers back under for the jerk.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-06-2008 at 04:57 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Good video Sensei. I honestly think a lot of my trouble is just my build. I've been known to have almost no flexibility. Heck I have trouble scratching certain parts of my back. The stretching you did with that white rod..... yeah there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to do that.
    Like I said in the video, it takes diligence and time. If you're only doing something once every other week, it will never happen. If you want to be more flexible, or develop a reasonable clean grip, you're going to have to be doing it at least 2-3x/week.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/