Thread: How NOT to build your own box for squatting

How NOT to build your own box for squatting

I figured this is where I'd choose to rant first.

If you ever plan to do this yourself, read on and learn from my mistakes.

So I wanted to make my own box with 3 different heights - 11", 13", 15".

So I went to Home Depot to buy some wood and spoke with someone about what I was doing to get his recommendation of which wood to buy and how to build it for best support.
    He told me 3/4" plywood is the strongest and cheapest they had and would hold 500+ lbs which I told him I needed without any support inside the box. I got it cut there as well and we agreed that we would need to cut (2) 11"x13", (2) 13"x15" and (2) 11"x15" in order to make the box. So I cashed out at $30 and took it home to get started on it.

First mistake - I never took into consideration each board will stick out 3/4" when I nail them all together.

Second mistake - All sides were the correct height except one. I ended up having 15", 13" and 12 1/2" ((11" + the (2) 3/4" sides)) to work with.

I was very happy with this outcome!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Moral of the story: Home depot sucks. The "sales associates" don't know their ass from a hole in the wall.

3/4" fir ply will build a damn sturdy box if built correctly.
    Last edited by Rusty; 04-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Moral of the story: Home depot sucks. The "sales associates" don't know their ass from a hole in the wall.

there better then lowes

I wouldnt trust that thing to hold more than 300lbs.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

what happens when you squat more than 500 lbs?

get a 12 inch box built. get 1 inch boards with velcro or even roofing shingles between them to as high as you need it. this is how i've seen a guy that trained at westside do it, and i've seen an SHW with 1000+ pounds on his back on it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

It's true. Good thing is, I had enough wood left over from that sheet I got him to cut double to make 2 boxes. I was going to give the other one to a buddy but now I'll just use it for a new box.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I wouldnt trust that thing to hold more than 300lbs.
    It does, man. It's the same thing they use for flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    what happens when you squat more than 500 lbs?

get a 12 inch box built. get 1 inch boards with velcro or even roofing shingles between them to as high as you need it. this is how i've seen a guy that trained at westside do it, and i've seen an SHW with 1000+ pounds on his back on it.
    Yeah, that seems to be the most common way to build it. It's a good idea. For now though, I think I'll make it with 3 different heights and play around with those heights. It will be a long time before I'm squatting 500+ lbs.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

That 500lbs capacity doesn't include your body weight, I hope. Otherwise you'll be exceeding capacity pretty darn quick!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yeah, building those things were a total pain in my ass. I build one 12" and one 18" box out of the 3/4" plywood. I did the tapered edges and everything. No clue how much load they could take but I've never doubted their stability. I got all nerdy with mine and calculated their dimensions on paper and found exactly the angle of cut for the bottom and tops so that it would sit flush with the floor and top piece. You really can't just wing it with these things unfortunately. Here are mine, if anyone wants the dimensions for the pieces, or instructions on how I assembled them, just let me know:

32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Yeah, building those things were a total pain in my ass. I build one 12" and one 18" box out of the 3/4" plywood. I did the tapered edges and everything. No clue how much load they could take but I've never doubted their stability. I got all nerdy with mine and calculated their dimensions on paper and found exactly the angle of cut for the bottom and tops so that it would sit flush with the floor and top piece. You really can't just wing it with these things unfortunately. Here are mine, if anyone wants the dimensions for the pieces, or instructions on how I assembled them, just let me know:

god, those are nice. a lot easier to just build a 12 in wooden box and use 1 inch boards on top of it!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    That 500lbs capacity doesn't include your body weight, I hope. Otherwise you'll be exceeding capacity pretty darn quick!
    Lol I wish I was squatting that now. It does include my weight. However, that's not a capacity. It's a number I threw at the rep to find out if it would hold and he said absolutely. Again, they use this stuff a lot for flooring in homes so I'm assuming it's good for quite a few hundred pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Yeah, building those things were a total pain in my ass. I build one 12" and one 18" box out of the 3/4" plywood. I did the tapered edges and everything. No clue how much load they could take but I've never doubted their stability. I got all nerdy with mine and calculated their dimensions on paper and found exactly the angle of cut for the bottom and tops so that it would sit flush with the floor and top piece. You really can't just wing it with these things unfortunately.
    Yours looks a little more solid than mine because of the construction of it. I used the other wood I had left over for the 2nd one and built mine tonight. Everything went fine and I'm just on my way out to buy some spray paint and paint it black and label the heights in white paint or something. I'll post some pics in here and my journal when it's done and dry.

Finally completed. I don't think I'll be adding anything else to my gym for a while. I'm really happy with my setup right now. I'll come back to this thread and let you all know when and what weight it breaks with...hopefully it won't happen.

At least it will give you a REAL reason not to get stuck on that box with 300lbs on your back.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Good point. But I always have the safety spotters an inch or two below what I squat anyways. So if it does end up breaking, I'll reconsider my innovative architecual design.