The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

1 year later and almost 2x bodyweight bench

I started back at lifting last March after about a 7 year hiatus. I currently weigh in at 224 lbs and hit a raw 420 bench this month. I'd like to get a 2x body weight bench this year. I was just wondering how common it is to be able to do this. I plan on dropping some weight in order to reach my goal quicker.

BTW my signature is outdated, been awhile since I posted.
    Last edited by jmccown; 03-24-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I guess I have to be in the 600 lb bench club to get a response over here. I'll post back in a year.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    I started back at lifting last March after about a 7 year hiatus. I currently weigh in at 224 lbs and hit a raw 420 bench this month. I'd like to get a 2x body weight bench this year. I was just wondering how common it is to be able to do this. I plan on dropping some weight in order to reach my goal quicker.

If you look at PLUSA Top 100 ranking and you'll see that it's very common for a lifter to bp 2x his body weight.

Check out my 5 Puzzles of Training Article:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.criticalbench.com/JT-Hall-Big-Willie.htm
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

pretty common like JT said, to a point. If you're a 300+lber then it becomes less common but given the right training its very doable to bench twice your bodyweight

What a pr! Double your bodyweight is still a big deal no matter where your at..but to be in teh elite category 2.5 or higher over your bodyweight is about where you need to be. it's definately doable and you're on the right track! sticking with a solid program, diet, and using good quality supplements like what Atlarge Nutrition provides us is crucial to be able to move that kinda weight and beyond. that kinda progress in a year... man that's just beyond kickass! Keep it up man! I FINALLY put 420 up again last week after a bad accident last year and it feels DAMN good to move that kinda weight doesn't it!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I also agree that it's not that uncommon...however, checking out the PL USA's top 100 is about as good as checking out the squat section of it, because those are almost entirely geared lifts. I'm all for gear, don't get me wrong...but this guy is trying to compare his raw bench here...not geared.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, though. I doubt it's a pat on the back. 2x bodyweight bench is respectable but not 'impressive'. Keep pushing yourself, man and try to reach your goals, etc. Good work.
    Last edited by Xellarz; 04-03-2008 at 11:23 PM.

its impressive to whoever thinks it is, hell, i think 420 is impressive, good job! i could only hope to move that kind of weight one day. and twice your body weight is very attainable. train eat sleep.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Not looking for any pats on the back. But thanks. It's just that I really don't have a gauge to go by. I have passed up all my lifting buddies at the gym and we done a "bodyweight" challenge a few months ago - bodyweight for most reps and I smoked everyone. But I am lifting over 100lbs more than the other big lifters and I need to set some more goals for myself. I do not take any supplements at all, just eat right and maintain a good routine. I bench twice a week on Monday and Thursday along with my other muscle groups on a 4 day schedule. Never even considered steroids and I don't think using any type of equipment is what this sport is about. I like it RAW.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Not looking for any pats on the back. But thanks. It's just that I really don't have a gauge to go by. I have passed up all my lifting buddies at the gym and we done a "bodyweight" challenge a few months ago - bodyweight for most reps and I smoked everyone. But I am lifting over 100lbs more than the other big lifters and I need to set some more goals for myself. I do not take any supplements at all, just eat right and maintain a good routine. I bench twice a week on Monday and Thursday along with my other muscle groups on a 4 day schedule. Never even considered steroids and I don't think using any type of equipment is what this sport is about. I like it RAW.
    It seems like you are looking for a bigger challenge to motivate you since you are outlifting all of your buddies at the gym. I strongly suggest you step up to the platform & compete. I have been doing it since 1994 & haven't stepped backwards yet.

There are plenty of feds that offer raw/unequipped meets. Also, equipment companies are big sponsors of many powerlifting meets throughout the USA.

Definitely, supplements can make a huge difference in your strength, size & recuperation. You should check out AtLarge Nutrition supplements.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php
    GOT ATLARGE NUTRITION MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 04-04-2008 at 10:42 AM.

I'm thinking about going to the next NASA meet. I haven't been to a meet since high school. I think there is one in either June or July at Ravenswood isn't there Willie? I am from Kentucky as well, Pike Co. Where are you from?
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

I'm thinking about going to the next NASA meet. I haven't been to a meet since high school. I think there is one in either June or July at Ravenswood isn't there Willie? I am from Kentucky as well, Pike Co. Where are you from?
    May 24 Ky State Championship
    http://www.nasa-sports.com/Entries/E...%203.24.07.htm

http://www.moreheadcc.com/
    111 East First Street

Morehead, KY 40351

Days Inn Morehead 606-783-1484 Ask for NASA & Conference Center discount when reserving rooms

Meet Directors: Greg & Susan Van Hoose

Route 1 Box 166

Ravenswood, WV 26164

(304) 273-2283 or e-mail greg@vhepower.com

KY Records Chairman: J.T. Hall nasakentuckystatechairman@yahoo.com

Weigh-in Times: Early weigh-in 8:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. Friday (All lifters) Regular weigh-in 8:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M. Saturday (All lifters) Rules Meeting/Equipment Check will be at 9:15 A.M.
    Lifting will begin at 10:00 A.M.

July 12th- West Virginia Open, Bench Press, Push Pull and Power Sports & Pro Qualifier, Ravenswood, WV. gvhl@wirefire.com

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.criticalbench.com/JT-Hall-Big-Willie.htm
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Wannabebig Member
    [QUOTE=NASAKYCHAIRMAN;1903072]If you look at PLUSA Top 100 ranking and you'll see that it's very common for a lifter to bp 2x his body weight.

I thought that list is for guys wearing bench shirts.? If 2x body weight raw is common , I must train in a gym with some weak dudes. I always thought a double body weight raw bench was impressive. When I looked at the power watch site they had raw lifts posted and there were not that many over 2x? JUst curious?

man, i'd love to lift 2x body weight. My body weight gains are going faster than my bench gains, lol. Gotta stop eating doublecheeseburgers and McD's.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9