The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adjustable Kettlebells

http://uskettlebells.com/productinfo.html

any thoughts? any suggestions on better alternatives?
    Sarvamangalam!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=108090

Here's some homemade ones nddillon posted about.

I don't know anything about kettlebells so I have nothing more to input
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I have made an adjustable one, like deeder posted, it is great for swings and basic stuff; however if you are getting more advanced and using alot of cleans and presses try looking up the kettlestack.
    kettlestack.com i think
    Great product and a third of the price of the one you posted; although you have to supply the plates for it...check it out.
    Too pricey for me. I am melting down tire weights and pouring my own made of lead and concrete.
    Where there is a will there is a way!

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    I have made an adjustable one, like deeder posted, it is great for swings and basic stuff; however if you are getting more advanced and using alot of cleans and presses try looking up the kettlestack.
    kettlestack.com i think
    Great product and a third of the price of the one you posted; although you have to supply the plates for it...check it out.
    Too pricey for me. I am melting down tire weights and pouring my own made of lead and concrete.
    Where there is a will there is a way!

you are melting down lead? are you serious?

Safe up the extra money and buy a series of real KBs. They're worth it in the end.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Safe up the extra money and buy a series of real KBs. They're worth it in the end.
    well, if i could do that then i would not have started a thread about adjustable ones.
    Sarvamangalam!

Then go ahead and spend your money instead of waiting a bit longer.

save up for a real set, well worth the investment, if the adjustable ones were any good....everyone would be using them
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Moe View Post
    Lead is safe as long as you don't ingest or inhale it (lead dust).

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    well, if i could do that then i would not have started a thread about adjustable ones.
    Well, you DID ask about alternatives...

It depends on your goals/purpose for using kettlebells, but there's a lot you can do with one or two kettlebells (w. a set weight) - you don't need a whole set. JMO. http://www.russianreds.com/
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Well, you DID ask about alternatives...

It depends on your goals/purpose for using kettlebells, but there's a lot you can do with one or two kettlebells (w. a set weight) - you don't need a whole set. JMO. http://www.russianreds.com/
    i DID ask for adjustable alternatives to non adjustable kettlebells. thus the title of the thread

thanks for the info.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 04-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yep,
    MUCH cheaper,
    much more dense than iron,
    its got a relatively low melting heat and poured into glass jars placed inside empty weigh protein containers with quikrete around it with truckbed spray on it they are by far the best ones I have ever used.
    My 86lbs Kb is the same size as a DragonDoor 63ish.
    Plus its a great learning experience. My generation sucks at fabricating things because we were spoonfed everything and if we didn't have ebay we wouldn't survive.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=109432

rant rant rant...I am better
    Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    save up for a real set, well worth the investment, if the adjustable ones were any good....everyone would be using them

As for saying that if adjustable kettlebells were that good everyone would use them...Barbells use to be non adjustable also, and look what happened! Give it time, friend
    Last edited by nddillon; 04-08-2008 at 06:07 PM.

As for saying that if adjustable kettlebells were that good everyone would use them...Barbells use to be non adjustable also, and look what happened! Give it time, friend
    Adjustable KBs, for all intensive purposes, suck. The handling is vastly different than a real KB and you end up beating the **** out of yourself.

They suck because you say so? Everyone is differant, the handling of a kettlestack and a dragondoor are the same, in fact I like the feel of the handle on the kettle stack more, as your the beating yourself up comment, you are going to have to clarify what you mean.

Which adjustable ones are you referring to?

They suck because you say so?

Yes they suck because I say so. I've handled a kettlestack and couldn't stand it at all. The clean feels incredibly different, as does the snatch. The stack bangs the forearm much more so than a traditional kb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Adjustable KBs, for all intensive purposes, suck. The handling is vastly different than a real KB and you end up beating the **** out of yourself.
    I think some people just don't want to hear it Chub...

Look, I know there are a lot of people who think kettlebells are nothing more than a "cash grab" (to quote another at these boards), but there is a tremendous difference when you snatch a decent kettlebell vs. snatching a piece of crap. It is a balance/weight distribution issue and it is a craftmanship issue. If all you'll ever do are swings, then yeah it probably doesn't matter that much as long as it doesn't fall apart as you're swinging it, but if you ever plan on doing high-rep snatches, or clean & jerks it definately does matter and you'll be very glad you invested a few extra $$ into a quality piece of equipment.

The adjustable KB the OP has linked costs about the same as a decent fixed-weight 53lb kettlebell. IMO, as someone who's definately done his share of kettlebell work, I'd go w. the fixed weight.

Have I tried the adjustable ones? No, I have not, but I don't need to. If someone asked me if they should buy a "Sports Authority" (a sporting goods store) barbell that came with a buttload of plates and collars vs. an Eleiko barbell of the same cost without the accoutrements, I'd say buy the Eleiko NO HESITATION WHATSOEVER. I don't need to test out the other barbell to know that.

There's **it and there's shinola people - know the difference.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-08-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Lead is safe as long as you don't ingest or inhale it (lead dust).
    if you touch it, it is dangerous, if you melt it particles become airborne and ARE inhaled as well as ingested.

I actually have studied lead for about 15 yrs now, I promise this is not just idiot bull****. But, it is your brain, your fertility and your skeletal structure, hormone function etc a so have at if you want. I was just really shocked anyone would even think of doing it.

Banned
    Yep,
    MUCH cheaper,
    much more dense than iron,
    its got a relatively low melting heat and poured into glass jars placed inside empty weigh protein containers with quikrete around it with truckbed spray on it they are by far the best ones I have ever used.
    My 86lbs Kb is the same size as a DragonDoor 63ish.
    Plus its a great learning experience. My generation sucks at fabricating things because we were spoonfed everything and if we didn't have ebay we wouldn't survive.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=109432

rant rant rant...I am better

man, I want to see pics of that thing!!!

Bro, kettlebells have been the same way for years, The reason the solid ones are superior is that they are balanced, if some parts were heavier and some parts were lighter, itd take the whole balance away, sensei is spot on, theres a huge difference between snatching a good one and a bad one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

I can't compare it to non-adjustable ones as I haven't used them, but my kettlestack works fine for me.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    I can't compare it to non-adjustable ones as I haven't used them, but my kettlestack works fine for me.
    I wish I could've gotten ahold of a traditional KB and brought it down there awhile back. There was a couple of those lifts I was showing you that just don't go smoothly because of the balance and shape of the kettlestack. The transitions are a lot more rough and you end up getting banged around. I kinda compare it to pulling with a stiff bar and pulling with a powerbar or DL bar.

are all solid kettlebells made more or less equal? or do you suggest that russian red brand?

and are suggested starting weights in your kettlebell thread sensei?
    I incline DB Bench a couple of 110s for 5 reps/ squat 335/ DL 415
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 04-09-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

if you touch it, it is dangerous, if you melt it particles become airborne and ARE inhaled as well as ingested.

I actually have studied lead for about 15 yrs now, I promise this is not just idiot bull****. But, it is your brain, your fertility and your skeletal structure, hormone function etc a so have at if you want. I was just really shocked anyone would even think of doing it.
    Why have you studied lead, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd really like to see studies on the dangers of simply touching lead. I've always been taught that it's only dangerous when ingested or inhale. Have you ever been fishing and used a lead anchor? I also believe things like lead get over-hyped sometimes. How many other things that we encounter daily can be considered "toxic" or a known carcinogen. Here's a good example: http://cancer.immunodefence.com/2007...e_more_da.html I'm not downplaying the toxicity of lead, but I don't see a problem with touching it.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    are all solid kettlebells made more or less equal? or do you suggest that russian red brand?

and are suggested starting weights in your kettlebell thread sensei?
    I incline DB Bench a couple of 110s for 5 reps/ squat 335/ DL 415
    No, they are not equal. Some kettlebells are good, some are horrible. The Russian Reds are good and reasonably priced - I would recommend them. There are others I'd recommend, but most of them would probably cost more and I respect that cost is an issue for most people.

I can't tell you for sure what you should get because those numbers you gave don't always translate so well to the KBs, but I'd say the 53lb or a 35lb. If you buy a 35lb, you'll probably grow out of it pretty quickly. A 53lber will probably be too heavy to do some exercises for some time however. I guess I'd probably go w. the 53lber if I were you.

I say buy a 24kg and a 32kg if you can spend the dough. If you can't, go with the 24kg.