Thread: Questions..Questions..Questions. ROUTINE!

~Seyborg.

Questions..Questions..Questions. ROUTINE!

This IS my first post, so I'll introduce myself! Justin is the name. I'm only 18 at the moment, and this summer . . . I ship to MCRD PI for the USMC.

Needless to say, I don't have ALOT of time, but I have been working out for the last 2 and half months. Before I started, I was never fat, just inactive. I was inactive for about a year and a half. Before that period of inactivity, I ran track for two years. I regularly worked out, usually push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. Needless to say I was a ripped little kid! (Kid being 15-16).

I have NEVER been BIG. Never. I have never WANTED that appearance of bulk. I do however want mass gains. I do want to be able to lift more weight. I want a balanced look. I don't want to be all cut and no strength, and I sure don't want to be big and bulky and not have definition. I want an "inbetween". I want to have mass, be able to move as well as I do now (I run A LOTand I am VERY flexible)and have definition/edurance. IS THIS POSSIBLE

I could use some HELPFUL comments and maybe some insight. My routine I have now is decent. I don't rest but maybe one-two days a week. I do back/shoulders, bi's/tri's, chest, and legs (atm I don't do legs because I'm more of a runner than body builder). That's how I work my muscles on a given day. I don't know how much rest I need, I'm not sure about alot of stuff.If you all can help..I'd appreciate.

$$$

The way you grow is going to be based on how you train, but also on your genetics. You can't get more muscle mass without eating more so you should increase your calorie and protein intake. Eating healthy foods will help you gain lean muscle mass, but you can't eliminate fat gain completely. Running long distance will definitely hinder you progress, so I suggest you sprint instead.

Compound lifts are your friends. They build practical and explosive strength. Bench, deadlift, squat, bent rows, push press, etc.
    Last edited by cmaggs; 04-07-2008 at 08:05 AM.

~Seyborg.
    thanks.

I would have to say my genetics are pretty decent to get big. I have HUGE shoulders, and a very broad chest. Long legs/arms. I eat well and I try to let little fat in. With these compound lifts, 3 sets of ten reps?

Ready to be educated!

$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyborg View Post
    thanks.

I would have to say my genetics are pretty decent to get big. I have HUGE shoulders, and a very broad chest. Long legs/arms. I eat well and I try to let little fat in. With these compound lifts, 3 sets of ten reps?

Ready to be educated!
    3x10 is excessive. Rippetoes "routine" suggests 3x5, but anywhere between 3x4-8 is acceptable. Consuming fat is essential, but stay away from trans fat and unhealthy sources of saturated fats. Also, you aren't going to want to do all those compound lifts on the same day. Space them out.

Resting is key also. You get stronger in the gym, but bigger while you rest

Straight up, if you are leaving this summer, I would cocentrate of eating decent and getting is great shape. Build up endurance and strength, but not get caught up in gaining a bunch of weight.

The reason being, is that if you are not naturally built, you will likely lose most, if not all the lean mass you gained.

I am not saying give up attempts to put on some muscle.

I just wouldn't get caught up trying to gain a ton.

I did the same before my basic training, and I lost 20 lbs of lean mass in 6 weeks. It was very depressing.

Go ahead...laugh..
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...4&postcount=52
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 04-07-2008 at 10:50 AM.

$$$
    Yea slim is right, you probably will lose most of the mass you've gained. The way I see it is if you eat a lot and lift a lot you'll get stronger and bigger. You'll lose most of the weight in basic training, but you're strength isn't going anywhere.