The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

how long should it take for me to start gaining weight with weight gainer?

I've been taking weight gainer for about the last 5 weeks, and started WBB1.1 at the same time. Also at the same time, i started eating more than i had been before. i'm literally still sitting at 150-151lbs, and it doesnt seem like im going anywhere. last week sometime, the scale tipped over to 154lbs, and i was actually getting excited that i was starting to gain weight, but this morning before starting my work out (i always weigh myself before the work out) i was back down to 150

on food alone, im doing about 3500-4000 calories a day, plus a weight gainer shake immediately after the work out.

what the hell is wrong with me?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    weight yourself in the morning after using the washroom, it's more consistent.

Hate to break it to you, but if you're not gainin weight you need more calories. Try making your weight gainer with whole milk, olive oil and/or cream.

Banned
    Eat more food. McDonalds once a day

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Eat more food. McDonalds once a day
    i've been eating reasonably healthy since i started working out back in like september. i can no longer eat mcdonalds. i tried, once, and it wasnt pretty.

I am going to start taking a weight gainer soon, and hopefully i don't have your same problem. But i weigh myself a lot too now as it is, and I have started to eat a lot more, but I don't gain weight either. Maybe it is just that you have a really active and fast metabolism?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSallies101 View Post
    Maybe it is just that you have a really active and fast metabolism?
    That's what it means. And that's why you need more calories.

I am willing to bet you do not CONSISTENTLY eat enough. I know several people that use to go on "blah blah blah I eat SOOO much." They started tracking everything they ate, turned out they would be good one day and then horrible the next.

Do you count all your calories and know that you are eating 3-4k or are you just guessing?
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

P.S. Weight gainer is nothing more than calories, there is no special weight gaining effects about it. So it should 'work' in the time it takes it to get through your gastrointestinal tract.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

Moar!

Seriously, eat more. Liquify your food if you have trouble eating enough. There are some good shake recipes on this site.
    Last edited by bjohnso; 04-07-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGibs View Post
    I've been taking weight gainer for about the last 5 weeks, and started WBB1.1 at the same time. Also at the same time, i started eating more than i had been before. i'm literally still sitting at 150-151lbs, and it doesnt seem like im going anywhere. last week sometime, the scale tipped over to 154lbs, and i was actually getting excited that i was starting to gain weight, but this morning before starting my work out (i always weigh myself before the work out) i was back down to 150

on food alone, im doing about 3500-4000 calories a day, plus a weight gainer shake immediately after the work out.

what the hell is wrong with me?
    to gain weight slowly and not put on TOO much fat.. a lb or two a week is fine. If you're not seeing that kind of gain..take in more quality cals until you do! But once you grow...keep an eye out until you start to slow down and add a few more...obviously the mroe you weigh the more you'll need.

I'd suggest trying products like MAXIMUS or MASS STACK from atlarge and giving them a try. EASY ways to put the cals down..

adding 500 cals a day over what you take is usually a good place to start!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Moar!

Seriously, eat more. Liquify your food if you have trouble eating enough. There are some good shake recipes on this site.
    chocolate nitrean+two tablespoons of peanut butter+whole milk=liquid peanut butter cups!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I am willing to bet you do not CONSISTENTLY eat enough. I know several people that use to go on "blah blah blah I eat SOOO much." They started tracking everything they ate, turned out they would be good one day and then horrible the next.

Do you count all your calories and know that you are eating 3-4k or are you just guessing?

If you eat 4000 cal one day but only take in 3000 cal the next, you won't get anywhere. Been there done that. You have to be consistent day to day to make progress. Start tracking if you're not already and see where you are. If you are being consistent then just up your intake by 500 cal and monitor.
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by T FLEX View Post

If you eat 4000 cal one day but only take in 3000 cal the next, you won't get anywhere. Been there done that. You have to be consistent day to day to make progress. Start tracking if you're not already and see where you are. If you are being consistent then just up your intake by 500 cal and monitor.
    LOL @ the 150lb 6'1 guy giving advice about gaining weight!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Over the weekends, when i'm not lifting, i do find myself not eating quite as much and not taking the weight gainer.

i think what i'm going to have to do is start taking two of my shakes a day, including days off, and trying to eat as much on my non-lift days as i do the lifting days.

yesterday when i was in the gym i was back up to 152.6, ugh i hate my metabolism

Over the weekends, when i'm not lifting, i do find myself not eating quite as much and not taking the weight gainer.

i think what i'm going to have to do is start... to eat as much on my non-lift days as i do the lifting days...
    And BINGO was his name-O! You sound kinda like me early on. I never kept up my eating on the weekends either and that hurt a lot. Track calories and be consistent, Oh and lift big heavy weights

I know, I know, the 150 lb 6'-1" guy giving advice about lifting. Well I just weighed myself and I'm 152 so Blahhhhhhh. JK
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

Banned
    i've been eating reasonably healthy since i started working out back in like september. i can no longer eat mcdonalds. i tried, once, and it wasnt pretty.
    Therein lies your problem. You need to slowly reintroduce McDonalds to your diet. Why you would ever stop eating it is beyond comprehension, but we can't live in the past. Start with 1 Double CHeeseburger 1x per day. Once you feel good with this, increase this to any value meal you prefer (non-chicken) I recommend the #1 or #4 w/cheese. Also, wash it down with a large shake. That's an easy 1100 calories of just liquid.

Sad truth for you - you won't gain much weight eating healthy. It's just too hard to get the calories you need eating healthy foods.

Wannabebig Member
    i feel like complete ass when i eat garbage like mcdonalds. that crap is ridiculously unhealthy, and i dont care if it takes me a year to gain the weight i want to if thats how long it will take eating health-ier food.

i feel like complete ass when i eat garbage like mcdonalds. that crap is ridiculously unhealthy, and i dont care if it takes me a year to gain the weight i want to if thats how long it will take eating health-ier food.
    I have gotten to the point where I can give a f**** less if its unhealthy or not.
    Height: 5'11
    Starting Weight: 112
    5/15/08

Current Weight: 122 (+8)
    8/25/08
    Stage: Bulking

Wannabebig Member
    i drank a gallon of whole milk today. i didnt realize that i just cracked the gallon this morning until just now when i finished it. oops?

oh yeah, and i'm holding a steady 155, and i feel fat
    Last edited by JoeGibs; 04-17-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Banned
    i drank a gallon of whole milk today. i didnt realize that i just cracked the gallon this morning until just now when i finished it. oops?

oh yeah, and i'm holding a steady 155, and i feel fat
    Your last comment tells me you'll never get big. You're 155, dude. If the wind blows, you'll blow away. Make sure to hold onto something that's secured to the ground.

Wannabebig Member
    hey now, 5 pounds is a big deal to me, lol. i've been stuck at 150 or slightly below since i was like 14 years old, and i'm 22 now. i'm not stopping at 155, if thats what i made it sound like

Wannabebig Member
    I think the biggest problem I see is people expecting results too soon.

Bulking takes some time especially if you're trying to limit the amount of body fat. For example during my bulking phase I've gone from 155LBS to 165LBS in about 9 months. That's a gain of 1.11 LBS per month.

My best advice is stay consistent with your calorie intake and work out. Trust me, your body will have no choice but to grow.

Wannabebig Member
    Just eat. Stop acting all healthy. Eat what you want and lots of it. Don't worry how much protein is in it you can make that up with shakes. I have two shakes a day and just eat carbs all day it works and it's easy calories if i don't feel i've eaten enough in the day i feast with easy calories in the evening. Make eating your life style if you want gains. Eat one meal while planning the next
    Originally Posted by azma
    Most dudes don't grow boobs from drinking milk, but, if you do grow boobs, just hope they're shapely. If so....PM me?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Negi View Post
    Just eat. Stop acting all healthy. Eat what you want and lots of it. Don't worry how much protein is in it you can make that up with shakes. I have two shakes a day and just eat carbs all day it works and it's easy calories if i don't feel i've eaten enough in the day i feast with easy calories in the evening. Make eating your life style if you want gains. Eat one meal while planning the next
    That is seriously, some of the best, simplest advice I've ever heard. Brilliant!

Wannabebig Member
    hey now, 5 pounds is a big deal to me, lol. i've been stuck at 150 or slightly below since i was like 14 years old, and i'm 22 now. i'm not stopping at 155, if thats what i made it sound like
    Try to see if you can get insulin injections from a doctor, possibly down in Mexico. It will help you gain. What you want to do then is eat tonnes of carbs and sugars and stuff then inject the insulin. BTW use this strategy at your own risk ! It could result in death or coma !