The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Nutrient timing

Nutrient timing

I've been reading the article on nutrient timing and i'm quite lost (here's the article for those who haven't read http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...eting-collide/ ). I was always told to consume my protein shake within 15-30 minutes after a work out but the article says about an hour after. I'm also confused about the pre workout timing. When is it best to have a meal and or a shake?
    Last edited by tryme; 09-26-2009 at 11:10 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

thats the link i just posted mate. Thats what im asking about.

sorry, didn't read your post, just saw the title! Try here. The author has been posting and might respond.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126839

With that said, I think it pretty plainly states to eat one hour before out.
    A meal comprised of protein, carbohydrate, and even fat (which doesnít affect insulin nearly as much as youíve been told) consumed approximately one hour prior to training will provide the necessary insulin and substrates to both maximise anabolism and prevent catabolism (11, 12,13).
    Last edited by cphafner; 09-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah i'm more concerned about after wards. When to have my shake.

Thanks for your interest in the article Tryme and I was going to write you out a big reply, but on reflection, I'd only re-write the salient points that can already be found in that article.

But, although the above might not be what you want to hear, the answers you seek, really are in the piece I wrote. That said, if you can tell me what your calorie intake (and macro-nutrient breakdown) is per day and how you tend to eat (meal frequency and workout time) then I'll give you a template to work from.

If you'd rather not, then your pre-workout meal (if you choose to eat one) should either be a wholefood meal approx 1hr before training, or a liquid supplement approx 30min before training (those timings are for no other reason than to prevent gastric distress during training).

These nutrients will be in your bloodstream, during and after the session, so it is no national emergency if you don't get your post-training shake in that '15-30min'.

If you want to, then do so, if you don't then don't.

The important message is that you consistently hit your requirement for calories, (protein, fat and carbohydrate), day in and day out, the timing of those meals is of secondary importance.

Thank you for the reply.

A calorie calculator has said that I need 2317 calories a day. I would say I am consuming around that if not a bit more. I'm not sure how to work out my macro-nutrient break down, sorry. I am currently working on starting strength which I usually do around 2 in the afternoon which is every other day (as i'm sure you know) and no lifting on the weekend, although I do alot of cardio such as jogging for 2 miles each night or at least every other night. I usually eat the 3 big meals breakfast, lunch and dinner and I sometimes snack inbetween.
    Last edited by tryme; 09-27-2009 at 02:45 PM.

In my opinion you're putting the cart before the horse, you're looking for answers to questions that you don't need to be asking.

Before you worry about when to consume a pre or post workout shake (whatever that may be) you need to concern yourself with not 'usually eating 3 big meals and sometimes a snack in-between' but finding out your calorie intake (which consists of your predetermined protein, carb and fat intake) and always eating it, irrespective of timing.

By the end of every day and every week you need to know that you have eaten the required amounts of Protein, carbs and fat, not 'sometimes', not 'mostly' but 'always'.

Getting bigger, getting stronger, isn't a 2 week trip, it's an odyssey, you commit to it, for years, not months, with consistent and progressive training and consistent eating and when you do, you are rewarded.

Read the following article -

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...tion-or-is-it/

Not necessarily to workout your required intake, you say you already have, but more for how to split that into your protein, carbohydrate and fat intake.

To keep track of your intake once you've determined it, take a look at fitday.com

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Damn this is a lot to take in in such a short space of time. One thing I have done is right down EVERYTHING I have eaten and drunk in the past week and I was amazed how much crap i've eaten. I've also got a schedule for when I hit my weights and do cardio work etc. I don't know how to work out how many calories I need a day or week though.

Ok good effort on creating that log, the answers you need are in those two articles. Read and re-read - with regards food intake and timing both articles are about as simple as it gets with regards the approaches they recommend.

You don't mention any goals, you need to set some and work towards them, give your efforts a purpose.

Again, if you have a specific question, feel free to ask.

It might sound a bit vague and simple but i'm a short guy i'm 5 foot 5 i'm quite skinny although have a bit of a pot belly. I want to get bigger for obvious reasons and feel good about myself. I just want to be muscley. I don't want to be "that short guy" any more I want to be known as the short stocky guy lol.