The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm definitely not suprised at comments like this. I never said I don't respect geared lifters, and have never said they aren't strong as ****. I remember reading a long thread on powerliftingwatch a while ago questioning gear and that's pretty much the kind of response half the people threw out there. "So what are you calling people that used shirts weak!!!111??? Right lawl none of us are strong."
    No offense bud, but why does it matter to you? If you don't like the gear, don't compete, and lift raw, then by God go about your business.

If you've gone to the length to hijack the thread with these thoughts tells me you've thought about what you could do in the gear. I can tell you for certain, being a raw lifter up until recently, that it takes just as much effort in it as it does out of it. It is different, but a ton of effort just the same.

I have all the respect in the world for people that get to the gym, do what they can and make progress. It takes a ton of willpower to make that decision and to stick with it. I have somewhat less respect for people that try and belittle people for a choice in the fed they compete in and what gear they use when the belittlers don't compete themselves.

I could be totally off base here. I am new. Invain, do you compete in any strength sport including bodybuilding? Just curious...

I wasn't trying to belittle anybody, I asked an honest question. You're right, this thread has been taken off topic and I apologize.

And no, I haven't competed yet, but I most certainly plan to for the first time this summer here in Michigan.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Good luck to you Invain - have you picked a contest yet? Feel free to respond via PM so we don't hijack this thread any further. I just know that when I actually pick a contest and pay the entry it makes me that much more focused for the event.

Sure equipment plays a part, but give somebody like tiger a cheap ass set of clubs and he'll still play amazingly. What you're missing is, for all the sports you reference to, the equipment has to be used. You can't cycle without a bike, you can't golf without clubs.

You're right, but you don't need graphite shafts or an 11lbs, road bike to compete either. People use these things because they enhance their game. It's no different than PLing.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Sweet! Another raw/gear debate.

In my experience, the raw guys cry because they're afraid or just plain can't learn to use the gear.

Lift how you will. The geared guys never bash the raw guys. It's always the other way around. Seems like jealousy to me.

i have respect for raw lifters...that being said...

i like gear. it's fun. it adds a different element to lifting, different technique, and plus you can lift more weight.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thanks for letting the geared thing drop guys.... If you really want to keep "debating" though I'd love to argue via pm's.

Powerlifting STARTED as being all about lifting the most weight possible using just your humanly strength.
    that *might* be how powerlifting started, but thats certainly not how powerlifting is today, even in the raw feds. Technique always plays a large role, and I'm willing to bet that rarely does the strongest lifter win. So really its your "humanly strength" plus a great deal of technique.

And powerlifting stopped being a pure display of this "humanly strength" whenever technique started playing a large role (when lifters started benching with an arch or squatting with a low bar and wide). Who knows when this was. If you're looking for a pure display of strength, you're in the wrong sport (strongman might be slightly better, but I think even THAT requires a great deal of technique, depending on the event).

When it comes right down to it, I'm willing to bet you would have the same top 10 powerlifters with gear or without. Maybe the order would change around a bit, and the numbers would be lower, but thats all. So why does it matter if the gear goes way out of hand? Its still the same guys (for instance, If I have my info correct, kennely has the raw bench record and is real close to the equipped).

When it comes down to it, I think most of us see your point: the gear in powerlifting is different in than the gear in other sports. To oversimplify things a bit, equipment in other sports falls into two categories: a) the sport couldn't exist without the equipment, (like a bat and ball in baseball), or b) its there to protect the players (pads in football). There is some argument to be made that gear protects the lifters, but I think most would agree that that is untrue. Regardless of the category that equipment falls into, somewhere down the line its used to the players advantage. Powerlifting is unique in that gear doesn't really fall into either category - you can certainly lift without gear and it doesn't really keep you much safer (at least this is what I believe to be the general consensus).

Invain: you seem to believe that this is a bad thing? I don't really see why. MAYBE it would be bad for the sport's image - when I tell most of my friends that everyone who has squatted over a thousand lbs or benched over a thousand uses gear, they seem to be dismissive about it -"why don't they just use a forklift!" sort of talk.

Hell, maybe it would even be good for the sport; I could see a one thousand lb eqiupped bench drawing a much bigger crowd than a 600 unequipped.

So what it really comes down to is whether or not gear is good or bad for the sports image, I don't think any of us, even you Invain, would really know.

Now, as for whether or not the max bench will surpass the max squat, hell, maybe it will. It would certainly be an awesome display of strength. I've never competed in gear ( don't have the money, honestly) so someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't it turn the lift into a sort of accommodating resistance lift? So if I have my understanding correct, wouldn't gear turn a 1200 lb bench into a 500-700 lb lift off the chest and a 1200 lb lockout? Putting everything else I've said aside, I think that would be an insane accomplishment. A 1200 lb lockout is impressive enough, but doing but your max lockout AND your max press from the chest (around 500-700 lbs) in the same lift is just sick.

Anyways, I know that is kind of long and I spent most of the time off topic feeding the troll, but I think I made some decent points.
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 04-09-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

haha no thats not what gear is like but I do certainly appreciate your willingness to acknowledge the amount of skill required for using gear.

Invain, you're the one that made this into a gear argument, little odd that you're now calling for it to stop

In the end, this subject has been hashed over, rehashed and then hashed again. Lets make an attempt to move on since this discussion does nothing but raise the irritation level in all of us on the board

wanna lift raw..lift raw..

wanna compete with the big boys and go for the bucks..gotta do what they do...

doesn't matter. Lifting is lifting..why fight amongst ourselves when we should be trying to bring it all together and make more people want to become apart of what we do? wanna make powerlifting bigger? Brothers in iron baby... make it happen. I don't like using gear but don't have a problem with it what so ever. It's my choice..

we're all on the platform to do one thing... put on a ****ing show!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

oh yeah..the fact that there's even talk about the kennelly and his benchpress possibly coming close to breaking the all time squat record can atest to the living legend that man is today..and what legacy he'll leave behind!

That dude is a MONSTER! Just like watching bolton pull a grand...watching kennelly bench over a grand is awe inspiring!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post

Anyways, I know that is kind of long and I spent most of the time off topic feeding the troll, but I think I made some decent points.
    Wow lol, now I'm a troll. I'm glad you know so much about me.

There's plenty of other people way stronger than me and with many years of experience that feel the same way I do. If anybody has the Feb. 08 edition of Powerlifting USA go to page 46 and read the article there. He author doesn't necessarily dislike gear'd lifting, but the brings up some good points against it.

Also: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/7533
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/5860

http://keithpayne.homestead.com/file...onaugust03.htm

Paul Bossi:

Paul Bossi

Keith I feel with all the new technology in powerlifting as far as suits and shirts go it is a joke. 1st of all the sport is being hurt with all the equipment be cause everyone knows you can't lift the weight the shirt does most of the work. Karin's Extreme power Shirts have claims of as much as 245lbs added to a bench. What's wrong with this picture when a man can only bench press 365 and with a shirt can get 600lb bench? That is a joke because the same shirt only gives another guy 40-50 pounds. and now you have double and triple ply and guys using 2 shirt and elbow wraps. It is all a joke. More guys are bombing out now at meet because they depend on the shirts or suits too much. At Bench America 3 of 5 bombed out in the 181 class and 2-3 bombed out in the SHW class or it may have been a different heavyweight class. Lots of others bombed out, why? Because they all depended on the shirts. When was the last time you saw a RAW guy open with a weight that buried him to the bench? Or when was the last time you saw 10 out of 56 guys bomb out of 1 competition. Well, it happened at Bench America. 1 out of every 5 guys bombed out and that is a joke. At least with a guy going RAW all men are on equal playing field and may the strongest guy win. There is only 1 thing better than that is RAW with drug testing and then you will really find who is the strongest person in that weight class with integrity through hard work and dedication with any man made chemicals. Equipment is a joke and is making the sport look like a circus.
    Last edited by Invain; 04-10-2008 at 07:17 AM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah this is an argument that can go on forever gear v raw, it comes and goes

now honestly i know the gear does assist lifts and the lifters and i dont think the two can be compared in any fashion of the imagination, thats why people choose to do raw vs suited meets. ill prefer to compete in a non suited meet cause it seems more pure, to me

but both sides are right, the gear does help, but the lifter is still doing the work.

**** i can take a bicycle and lay it on its side i dont care if its made of the best **** in the world if no one gets on and rides it worth a crap its not gonna do anything

i can play football without helmet and shoulder pads, but playing with them made the game safer, but someone came out with better and better stuff, allowing people to be more and more safe and deliver bigger and more punishing blows without hurting themselves.

now can i play football without pads? yeah, but if im competing agaisnt people with pads its an unfair contest. same as raw v geared

now does the gear help someone lift more weight? yeah without a ****ing doubt it does. but in the same way a better bike helps people ride better, better clubs hit the ball further and allows me to deliver bigger hits in football and move faster with better equipment.

so its a part of the game, choose to compete or not

stop bashing one another

but also

dont compare ur shirted bench with my raw one either......lol

lets all just get along fellas
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 04-09-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    INVAIN:

Please remove my answer to a 2003 question.

Thanks a lot,

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 04-10-2008 at 07:32 AM.

I removed it like you asked, but I'm sad you think it has nothing to do with the thread. Would you take back what you said in that quote?

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    I removed it like you asked, but I'm sad you think it has nothing to do with the thread. Would you take back what you said in that quote?
    Unfortunately, there will probably always be a debate between raw-vs-equipped lifting. Since their are several federations that offer divisions for raw, single, double & triple ply equipment. I think that everybody should be happy & content. Powerlifting companies are huge sponsors of many meets throughout the USA

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 04-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Banned
    FWIW - Invain and I figured out our differences. He's a cool cat and should not be made the scapegoat of this argument.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    FWIW - Invain and I figured out our differences. He's a cool cat and should not be made the scapegoat of this argument.
    Man Ben, your in such a better mood now that you got your CPAP adjusted

Banned
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    Unfortunately, there will probably always be a debate between raw-vs-equipped lifting. Since their are several federations that offer divisions for raw, single, double & triple ply equipment. I think that everybody should be happy & content. Powerlifting companies are huge sponsors of many meets throughout the USA

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Yeah, I know. There's really no point in arguing, everybody has their own opinion. Sorry for de-reailing your thread J.T.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolfe View Post
    I think the bench is about as far as it is gonna go for a bit. I wont be surpised to see Ryan hit 1100 seeing as how he is Ohh So close. But the question here is when do Bones really come into play? No matter how much a shirt can help how much can the body/bones really withstand?
    I know of one lifter that has sustained a stress fracture in the forearm going for a 700+ bench. There are probably others out there too. Considering 1100 lbs is adding another 400 lbs to the lift, I would say we are already starting to play fast and loose with what kind of stress the bones can take. We'll see what the future holds... One thing is for sure, there are some strong SOBs out there moving some massive freakin' weights!

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Sweet! Another raw/gear debate.

In my experience, the raw guys cry because they're afraid or just plain can't learn to use the gear.

Lift how you will. The geared guys never bash the raw guys. It's always the other way around. Seems like jealousy to me.
    Damned right I'm afraid of a bench shirt, but I would love to give it a go! Looks like fun to me!
    Last edited by Tim K; 04-10-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    The bench wont be close to the squat record.
    1300 squat is possible in the near future.

i think 1100 is probably the top bench we will ever see in our lifetime.
    your body can only take so much of a beating and gear can only give so
    much. Health issues come into play once your body gets so big.

The bar always wins in the end.

I dunno. I mean look at the video of Ryan's last attempt at 1100. It was pretty freakin fast. I think there's an 1120 video of him off a 1brd. i think Ryan has at least 1150 in him before he's done

As far as the bone issue goes, my 2 cents is guys just need to spend more time cycling in and out of the shirts. If you give them time to heal, they'll slowly become more dense and strong (obviously only to an extent haha) but sometimes guys jump in a shirt and are very good at it. Then they don't get out of it for 2 months or take a deload week or two and then their bones take a beatin.

I dunno, thats just what makes sense to me. Benchin with a shirt is alot of fun though

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I know of one lifter that has sustained a stress fracture in the forearm going for a 700+ bench. There are probably others out there too. Considering 1100 lbs is adding another 400 lbs to the lift, I would say we are already starting to play fast and loose with what kind of stress the bones can take. We'll see what the future holds... One thing is for sure, there are some strong SOBs out there moving some massive freakin' weights!
    Tommy Harrison broke his forearm a few weeks ago benching 950. Man, I can't even comprehend how that much weight must feel when it's heavy enough to break a freakin bone. Crazy.

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    ryan is a beast.