The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar

All Time Bp Surpass The All Time Squat?

The bench press has already surpass the deadlift.

Do anybody think that the bench press will surpass the squat?

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeh, by me.

hmmm. good question. i think it will be awhile before someone benches 1250. it'd be pretty cool if it did happen, though!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Not raw, that's for sure.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Nope.

If someone trians both bench press and squat equally, what is a typical difference in max? For instance, if someone can bench 300, than they can probably squat 350... Not saying those numbers are remotly correct.

I think the bench is about as far as it is gonna go for a bit. I wont be surpised to see Ryan hit 1100 seeing as how he is Ohh So close. But the question here is when do Bones really come into play? No matter how much a shirt can help how much can the body/bones really withstand?
    MONSTER MODE

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolfe View Post
    I think the bench is about as far as it is gonna go for a bit. I wont be surpised to see Ryan hit 1100 seeing as how he is Ohh So close. But the question here is when do Bones really come into play? No matter how much a shirt can help how much can the body/bones really withstand?
    I know of one lifter that has sustained a stress fracture in the forearm going for a 700+ bench. There are probably others out there too. Considering 1100 lbs is adding another 400 lbs to the lift, I would say we are already starting to play fast and loose with what kind of stress the bones can take. We'll see what the future holds... One thing is for sure, there are some strong SOBs out there moving some massive freakin' weights!

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Sweet! Another raw/gear debate.

In my experience, the raw guys cry because they're afraid or just plain can't learn to use the gear.

Lift how you will. The geared guys never bash the raw guys. It's always the other way around. Seems like jealousy to me.
    Damned right I'm afraid of a bench shirt, but I would love to give it a go! Looks like fun to me!
    Last edited by Tim K; 04-10-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I know of one lifter that has sustained a stress fracture in the forearm going for a 700+ bench. There are probably others out there too. Considering 1100 lbs is adding another 400 lbs to the lift, I would say we are already starting to play fast and loose with what kind of stress the bones can take. We'll see what the future holds... One thing is for sure, there are some strong SOBs out there moving some massive freakin' weights!
    Tommy Harrison broke his forearm a few weeks ago benching 950. Man, I can't even comprehend how that much weight must feel when it's heavy enough to break a freakin bone. Crazy.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

mythbusters!!... actually i bet that info is already out there somewhere
    Sarvamangalam!

yeah I doubt someone will hit the squat record. Vlad will probably break 1300 or close to it at his next meet.

I could see Kennelly hitting 1150 but he's probably not going to hit the squat record.

be pretty impressive if he did though!

I wannabebig!
    wait a minute... im sure a lot of peoples all time bp are higher than their all time squat =p

on a serious note... that would be some massive weight, not that what is being done now isnt.

Definitely no offense to any of you guys that compete equipped regularly, but the day the all time max bench surpasses the all time equipped squat is the day I lose all respect for powerlifting. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but in my opinion gear is getting way out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Definitely no offense to any of you guys that compete equipped regularly, but the day the all time max bench surpasses the all time equipped squat is the day I lose all respect for powerlifting. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but in my opinion gear is getting way out of hand.
    As the weight increases there is more danger and thus more/different gear is required.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    As the weight increases there is more danger and thus more/different gear is required.
    The danger increases because of the gear.

Don't for one second fool yourself into thinking that gear (even single ply IPF stuff) is for protection. It started off as a safety thing... But then someone thought, hey, I bet I could lift a lot more if I did this.......
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Yea BF, but like Deeder said, why is it so much more dangerous now? Shirts are not used to safely lift more weight anymore. The weight is increasing BECAUSE of the gear. Every year a company comes out with some new material in 20 million ply and bench records go up.

I don't want to stray from the topic but I've wanted to ask for a long time why gear is even permitted at all in meets. I think I've brought it up in the past but I quickly got shot down by guys that frequent the pl forums because they don't want to face the truth.
    Last edited by Invain; 04-08-2008 at 08:21 PM.

I don't want to stray from the topic but I've wanted to ask for a long time why gear is even permitted at all in meets. I think I've brought it up in the past but I quickly got shot down by guys that frequent the pl forums because they don't want to face the truth.
    You get shot down precisely because it IS off-topic. If you don't like equipment, compete raw and/or in all-raw federations. If you don't compete at all, why do you have an opinion (and I'm not necessarily talking to you)?

It has absolutely nothing to do with "facing the truth" - PLers who compete with equipment do so because equipment is already an integral part of the game. If you want to be a competitive pole-vaulter, you won't be using a solid wood pole. If you want to be a professional cyclist, you won't be using a Schwinn Stingray 5-speed with the banana seat ( http://www.antiquewhs.com/2005011.jpg ) even though you'd be cooler than cool if you did.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I agree.

It's already higher than the all time deadlift... That says something doesn't it?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Yeah, and about the bones, I thought I read somewhere that some of the top guys already feel their bones flexing (bending...) while they bench. Maybe even Wolfe experiences that.

Sensei, although your comparisons are a little similar, there's still a big difference. Powerlifting is about lifting the most weight possible using just your body/strength. You cannot deny that modern powerlifting isn't simply about being as strong as possible, it's about using the best possible shirt and having good technique to squeeze as much out of the shirt as possible.

Sensei, although your comparisons are a little similar, there's still a big difference. Powerlifting is about lifting the most weight possible using just your body/strength.
    Says you. Do you compete in equipped feds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain
    You cannot deny that modern powerlifting isn't simply about being as strong as possible, it's about using the best possible shirt and having good technique to squeeze as much out of the shirt as possible.
    Of course it is. Did I say anything to the contrary? And how is that different than cycling or golf exactly? Competitors in every sport exploit equipment rules as much as possible to achieve the best performances they can - so what? If you don't like it, don't watch, don't compete, don't bitch, don't sidetrack threads.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Of course it is. Did I say anything to the contrary? And how is that different than cycling or golf exactly? Competitors in every sport exploit equipment rules as much as possible to achieve the best performances they can - so what? If you don't like it, don't watch, don't compete, don't bitch, don't sidetrack threads.
    Sure equipment plays a part, but give somebody like tiger a cheap ass set of clubs and he'll still play amazingly. What you're missing is, for all the sports you reference to, the equipment has to be used. You can't cycle without a bike, you can't golf without clubs. What I'm curious about, is how gear got started in the first place. You definitely don't need gear to lift, but somebody using a multi-ply shirt is definitely going to have an advantage over somebody going raw, if they were competing in the same meet for example.

Sure equipment plays a part, but give somebody like tiger a cheap ass set of clubs and he'll still play amazingly. What you're missing is, for all the sports you reference to, the equipment has to be used. You can't cycle without a bike, you can't golf without clubs.

You're right, but you don't need graphite shafts or an 11lbs, road bike to compete either. People use these things because they enhance their game. It's no different than PLing.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Sweet! Another raw/gear debate.

In my experience, the raw guys cry because they're afraid or just plain can't learn to use the gear.

Lift how you will. The geared guys never bash the raw guys. It's always the other way around. Seems like jealousy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You know I don't. Do YOU? I should have re-worded that differently. Powerlifting STARTED as being all about lifting the most weight possible using just your humanly strength.