The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Pectorals

Pectorals

I am relatively new to weightlifting, but I have a simple question that I could not find the answer to when I use the search function. I benchpress often and I have been doing it for a while, the only thing is, is my pecs are good at the top, but it seems that the muscle isn't really building as much on the lower part. I am a bit heavy and I want to lose some of the fat on the lower part of my pecs, but it seems that benching doesn't really build too much muscle on that lower part. Is there a special way to get that part of the pectoral, or will it all even out eventually. Thanks for the help, I apologize if this question has been posted previously.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan9108 View Post
    I am relatively new to weightlifting, but I have a simple question that I could not find the answer to when I use the search function. I benchpress often and I have been doing it for a while, the only thing is, is my pecs are good at the top, but it seems that the muscle isn't really building as much on the lower part. I am a bit heavy and I want to lose some of the fat on the lower part of my pecs, but it seems that benching doesn't really build too much muscle on that lower part. Is there a special way to get that part of the pectoral, or will it all even out eventually. Thanks for the help, I apologize if this question has been posted previously.
    No, theres not any way to target that part of the pecs anymore than regular flat bench pressing or flys.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 04-09-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

It'll probably all even out...depending on your genes, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want, you could clean up your diet and you'd lose a little weight (I'm sure you know you can't target your chest for fat loss).

I'm aware I can't target my chest for fat loss. I'm evening out my workouts and I'm running 5 miles a day. I usually work out an hour every other days, and my workouts are vigorus. I'm making a lot of progress for only being into this for half a year and I guess I have age on my side, i'm 16. I'm limiting all my food intake because I have the right build to put on muscle. The last thing I need to do is gain weight. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Try doing lots of dips.

Gonnabebig
    get used to doing pushups, and lots of them. keep your hands one and a half to two shoulder widths apart. do them slowly and obviously go all the way down, but dont let your body touch.

search youtube, theres hundreds of videos of different chest exercises. whatever works for you...
    "If you're not fighting for something you're dying for nothing."

18 y/o, 5"6', 151.6lbs.
    Goal: 160 LBS by July (under 10%bf)
    Bench: 195
    Squat: 205 (Outdated)
    Dead: 205 (Outdated)

No, I'm not going to claim that dips will develop your "lower chest" more, but I will say that I never saw significant pec development until I started doing dips.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I'm aware I can't target my chest for fat loss. I'm evening out my workouts and I'm running 5 miles a day. I usually work out an hour every other days, and my workouts are vigorus. I'm making a lot of progress for only being into this for half a year and I guess I have age on my side, i'm 16. I'm limiting all my food intake because I have the right build to put on muscle. The last thing I need to do is gain weight. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

How do you expect to gain muscle without gaining weight? Body recomp?

And what do you mean by "I have the right build to put on muscle"? Muscle is built by food, exercise and rest. ANYBODY no matter their build can put on some muscle...unless they have serious health issues or something along those lines.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.

I am thick with broad shoulders, I don't need to pack on weight right now, I'm just getting more toned I guess you could say. I'm not going to become a bodybuilder, so i'm cutting down on portion size but i'm still getting the protien and nutrients required to be healthy and lift weights. I'm just not trying to put on huge amounts of muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    EAT!!!
    Originally Posted by azma
    Most dudes don't grow boobs from drinking milk, but, if you do grow boobs, just hope they're shapely. If so....PM me?

I am thick with broad shoulders, I don't need to pack on weight right now, I'm just getting more toned I guess you could say. I'm not going to become a bodybuilder, so i'm cutting down on portion size but i'm still getting the protien and nutrients required to be healthy and lift weights. I'm just not trying to put on huge amounts of muscle.
    EAT!!!
    ...Tired of post happy people flooding the good content with empty posts...

Ok, I'll weigh on the issue... the only way to lose fat is to diet right. It sounds like your doin everything right so far, just keep it up and the boob weight will disappear. For a lot of people, (including myself) that boob weight is the last to come off. Until you get down there to something like 12-13 BF, you might not see any definition in your lower pecs. Doing decline bench and decline flies will help build that area, so will cable crossovers but until you lose the fat, your boobs might just getting bigger.

if u want to gain muscle on the chest you are gonna have to eat more and gain weight as well. Are u squatting at all?

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

ya know, ive come to the conclusion that running doesnt do much for you. you will have a kick @$$ healthy heart when your old, but lifting and serious change in diet can either make you loose a bunch of fat or bulk up, your choice. id turn that extra 3-4 miles into good lifting time.
    cardio can assist on a bit of a calorie deficit
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

I do squats also, as I do many other workouts, I don't only bench. I heard squats are good for losing a large amount of fat, so I will probably begin squating more than i'm benching now. I figured lifting is good for putting on muscle and running would be good for taking some extra fat off and staying more fit. I am eatling much less but more often, around 5 small meals a day.