Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too many eggs?

Milk is your friend Vicioustorms's Avatar

too many eggs?

I've started eating 3-4 eggs everyday..is that too many? or can i eat more. i heard theyre high in cholesterol and block your arteries or something..
    16 years old
    181cm

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    3-4 eggs is fine. the cholesterol in the yolks wont block your arteries up. ive eaten at least 2 eggs a day for the last 8 years and have no problems with cholesterol or blood pressure

must eat more
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    the cholesterol in the yolks wont block your arteries up.
    LOL

i guess the entire medical community, the pharmaceutical industry, and years upon years of scientific research is dead wrong.
    Last edited by nzk; 04-05-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    nzk

Built, what about 10 hard boiled eggs a day? Yay or nay?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzk View Post
    LOL

i guess the entire medical community, the pharmaceutical industry, and years upon years of scientific research is dead wrong.
    If theyre the same idiots who venomised dietary fat then yes

There a good read i found ages ago located here fitnessuncovered.co.uk/nutrition-articles/all_about_eggs.php

Banned
    LOL

Actually, there's a chance they are: http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060506/food.asp This is from 2006 so I assume some follow-up work has been done, but I haven't looked for it.

I could imagine people on farms back in the day eating well over half a dozen eggs, and whole milk, and pieces of large meat with fat all over... Were fine dont worry.

must eat more
    ok, seems everyone is doing ok in the US eating high cholesterol fried foods. i guess the reports of cardiac disease being the number one killer and stroke being number three in this country are also false. seems like those fat farmers are doing just fine. never mind that statin therapy has been shown to reduce heart attack risk up to 20%. its got nothing to do with cholesterol cloggin up those arteries.

small studies published in internet magazines do not qualify as good studies, especially when theyre endorsed by the american egg board (yes, those same fat farmers). its like getting your daily news from the grocery checkout line. just pick up any decent medical textbook and the link between choletesterol and heart attacks and strokes is written in plain english.

but this is the internet generation and everyone is an online expert these days, so here's one from a respected journal looking at large randomized trials on statin therapy and cardiovascular risk: http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/.../full/28/6/664

genetics also play a role in how one's body handles cholesterol excess. so what is cholesterol excess? one egg has 70% of the DV of cholesterol. so 3-4 eggs would be excess.

of course anything in moderation is ok, so eat ur eggs. but to believe that eggs dont do harm when eaten in excess, is pure fiction. which is what i think the OP was asking.
    Last edited by nzk; 04-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    nzk

Banned
    small studies published in internet magazines do not qualify as good studies, especially when theyre endorsed by the american egg board (yes, those same fat farmers). its like getting your daily news from the grocery checkout line. just pick up any decent medical textbook and the link between choletesterol and heart attacks and strokes is written in plain english.
    The journal of experimental biology is small internet magazine?
    Greene, C., et al. 2006. Plasma lipoprotein particle size and carotenoid content are positively influenced by egg consumption and the response to dietary cholesterol in an elderly population. Experimental Biology 2006 meeting. April 1-5. San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I could imagine people on farms back in the day eating well over half a dozen eggs, and whole milk, and pieces of large meat with fat all over... Were fine dont worry.
    My dad lived on a dairy farm as a kid. Had eggs fried in bacon grease every morning, drank milk fresh from the cows every day, every dinner was some form of meat, and my grandma almost always had a pie for dessert. Nobody in his family has ever had trouble with cholesterol/high blood pressure/heart problems.

What does this have to do with anything? Eating a few freaking eggs a day is absolutely fine.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

must eat more
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    My dad lived on a dairy farm as a kid. Had eggs fried in bacon grease every morning, drank milk fresh from the cows every day, every dinner was some form of meat, and my grandma almost always had a pie for dessert. Nobody in his family has ever had trouble with cholesterol/high blood pressure/heart problems.

What does this have to do with anything? Eating a few freaking eggs a day is absolutely fine.
    sigh. everyone has a "my uncle ate this, my grandma ate that etc. and is doing just fine." story. this is really solid research u have there. my father in law had a similar diet, he had a major heart attack and had a quintuple bypass at the age of 52.
    450,000 people died in 2004 from heart attacks in the U.S. alone.
    diets high in cholesterol are proven to cause heart disease.
    3-4 eggs is more than 200% of ur recommended dietary intake of cholesterol.
    am i not being clear enough?

maybe the american heart association can help:

http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3006030

7. I recently read that eggs aren’t so bad for your cholesterol after all, so I guess I can go back to having my two eggs for breakfast every morning.
    One egg contains about 213 milligrams of dietary cholesterol. The daily recommended cholesterol limit is less than 300 milligrams for people with normal LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. An egg can fit within heart-healthy guidelines for those people only if cholesterol from other sources — such as meats, poultry and dairy products — is limited. For example, eating one egg for breakfast, drinking two cups of coffee with one tablespoon of half-and-half each, lunching on four ounces of lean turkey breast without skin and one tablespoon of mayonnaise, and having a 6-ounce serving of broiled, short loin porterhouse steak for dinner would account for about 510 mg of dietary cholesterol that day — nearly twice the recommended limit. If you’re going to eat an egg every morning, substitute vegetables for some of the meat, or drink your coffee without half-and-half in the example above. And remember that many other foods, especially baked goods, are prepared with eggs — and those eggs count toward your daily cholesterol limit. People with high LDL blood cholesterol levels or who are taking a blood cholesterol-lowering medication should eat less than 200 mg of cholesterol per day. Learn more about cooking for lower cholesterol.
    nzk

Banned
    nzk, did you purposely avoid my question?

nzk - you are aware that eating deep fried dough isn't the same as eating healthy sources of fat and protein like eggs, right? That it's not healthy animal and monounsaturated fat that clogs your arteries, but rather, damaged vegetable oils, trans fats, and grains that are involved in the "deep fried America" phenomenon you are referring to, right?

I HAD high cholesterol - on my lowfat diet. I brought it DOWN eating more fat - including eggs and cheese - and less grain.

Nzk if I'm bored later I'll find some studies for you about dietary cholesterol and it's effects on a person's actual cholesterol levels.

I ate 4 - 5 eggs every morning for months and I'm doing just fine.

Another thing to remember nzk: When you read the nutritional suggested guidline, you have to realize that it does not hold true for everybody. I'm going to assume that you eat way more protien than the suggested 50 grams a day. One thing to realize about cholesterol is that it is a neccesary nutrient for the living cell. People who push their bodies like most of us in here do everyday, require more than the suggested amount. Now, like you said, moderation is key. I would say 10 a day would be too many, But if want to eat 4 a day and are in good cardiovascular shape then I say go for it.

Keep in mind I'm no biologist, just a normal guy. But I do have some knowledge in this, as does Built I believe.

Abstract from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Extensive research has not clearly established a link between egg consumption and risk for coronary heart disease. The effects of egg intake on plasma lipids and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) atherogenicity in healthy populations need to be addressed. RECENT FINDINGS: The lack of connection between heart disease and egg intake could partially be explained by the fact that dietary cholesterol increases the concentrations of both circulating LDL and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in those individuals who experience an increase in plasma cholesterol following egg consumption (hyperresponders). It is also important to note that 70% of the population experiences a mild increase or no alterations in plasma cholesterol concentrations when challenged with high amounts of dietary cholesterol (hyporesponders). Egg intake has been shown to promote the formation of large LDL, in addition to shifting individuals from the LDL pattern B to pattern A, which is less atherogenic. Eggs are also good sources of antioxidants known to protect the eye; therefore, increased plasma concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin in individuals consuming eggs are also of interest, especially in those populations susceptible to developing macular degeneration and eye cataracts. SUMMARY: For these reasons, dietary recommendations aimed at restricting egg consumption should not be generalized to include all individuals. We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet.

Somebody make me a cholesterol supplement (I'd prefer powder form).

i drink 50 eggs a day, raw, with butter, olive oil, and a shot of Tequila.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    i drink 50 eggs a day, raw, with butter, olive oil, and a shot of Tequila.
    That reminds me of a guy I know who used to crack two raw eggs into his Guiness and down the whole thing. Strange dude.

must eat more
    Invain: i think thats the same study redspikey's article referred to. i didnt say to restrict egg intake, just not consume to excess. also ur a young guy, therefore, u havent been consuming that level of cholesterol for a long period of time. i never wish ill on anyone, but over a lifetime the damage accumulates. cardiac risk goes up dramatically for men after age 45. its not because they all started eating bacon and eggs for breakfast on their 45th birthday.

Redspikey: i didnt say the journal was small, some of the studies it was referencing are. but besides the point, no where in the articles it references does it say its ok ot eat 5-10 eggs a day. they all say "dietary restriction is not needed." which i infer to mean "resume normal dietary intake of eggs" i.e. 1-2 eggs a day. also one of the authors of those studies quoted is the VP of United Egg Producers.

BigE: i see ur point but excess protein does little if any harm. excess cholesterol, absolutely.

Built: i was reffering to the common examples given of my uncle eats deep fried bacon/egg sandwiches everyday and farmers eating a dozen eggs and grandmas eating tons of beef etc. not to healthy fats, grains, and protein. again genetics plays a role in cholesterol control, but as u learned, diet does as well.

this forum is not only about getting big, but doing it the right way. every food has its limit. why test the limit with something like eggs? i would suggest eating a normal amount of eggs and obtaining those additional protein, calories, and healthy fats that u want from other sources with less cholesterol.
    nzk

Banned
    Redspikey: i didnt say the journal was small, some of the studies it was referencing are. but besides the point, no where in the articles it references does it say its ok ot eat 5-10 eggs a day. they all say "dietary restriction is not needed." which i infer to mean "resume normal dietary intake of eggs" i.e. 1-2 eggs a day. also one of the authors of those studies quoted is the VP of United Egg Producers.
    To each their own. I would take "dietary restriction is not needed" to mean exactly that.....eat as many as you like.

Depends what's normal. I know lacto-ovo vegetarians who eat over a dozen eggs daily. Genetics my eye - nobody is born obese or with high cholesterol - but we are born with genetic tolerances to varying levels of carbohydrate. I dropped carbs way down, increased dietary fat - animal and plant - and my cholesterol dropped from "high enough to medicate" to "enviably low".

I am not unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Depends what's normal. I know lacto-ovo vegetarians who eat over a dozen eggs daily. Genetics my eye - nobody is born obese or with high cholesterol - but we are born with genetic tolerances to varying levels of carbohydrate. I dropped carbs way down, increased dietary fat - animal and plant - and my cholesterol dropped from "high enough to medicate" to "enviably low".

I am not unusual.
    That's a lie and you know it!