Thread: Finally

Wannabebig Member

Finally

I joined a gym. Money is short as I'm a student but after 1 year of doing workouts in my flat and getting basically nowhere I got pissed off and decided I would pay for a 6 month gym membership!

When I started in March of '07 I had good results to begin with, I didn't do any compound exercises and didn't even eat differently. I then stayed the same for months. I bought creatine and loads of protein, I added more compound exercises and cut down on the isolations. I ate and ate, loads of peanut butter and whey protein. I wanted to get into a nice shape for my holiday - I got fat. I put on basically 21lbs of fat! I got slightly stronger but I could hardly see any muscle growth just a gut!

So now I'm 2 months into my gym membership - the guy that owns it is huge and has won numerous body building awards. He's given me a programme to follow, basically no compounds involved tho. I've been eating as much as I can, mostly clean. I have 90g of protein a day from my shakes. I've put on 10lbs and it's basically all fat again.

I'm at a complete loss at what to do. No matter what I do I just seem to get fat - only on my gut mind you! My arms are skinny, my legs are skinny, my chest is skinny - my gut is fat. After 2 months I feel like I want to go on a diet, I hate being fat. People have come up to me and said "Wow you're getting tubby" Marvellous! I had 1 compliment about 1 month ago, "Have you been working on your triceps?" Well I had but I knew it wasn't because of the exercises, they looked like that a month ago. I play golf, alot of it, and it tones your triceps like mad!

Any ideas how to really build muscle? I eat and clean too, if I just ate anything surely I'd just get mega fat? I don't use any other supplements apart from protein.

Is there a specific time I should intake most of my protein? I have my shakes before I go to bed and before a workout, on off days it's first thing in the morning and before I go to bed.

Thanks for reading

Whats your height/weight/body fat%? Also, what does your routine and diet look like?
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

bulk, cut, bulk, cut repeat. Its the way of the bodybuilder man

you need to take before and after pics because you're probably making gains, you just don't know it.

also, how are you cutting? If you're just not eating as much, you may be losing your muscle along with the fat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    bulk, cut, bulk, cut repeat. Its the way of the bodybuilder man
    which is completely different of the PLman's way of things...its more fun that way anyway

Bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk, die

You should measure. You can pick up some tape at any suppliment store. I bought some at GNC way back. It allows you to measure by yourself. Without that tape I wouldn't think I made gains either. I gained over a inch in my arms and when I look in the mirror its not obvious. The main reason is because it happens slow so anytime you watch slow progress you can't tell the difference. So measure stuff write it down somewhere keep up the work and measure again in a couple months. If you feel you have gotten fat and out of shape maybe its time for a cut.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by elbow View Post
    I joined a gym. Money is short as I'm a student but after 1 year of doing workouts in my flat and getting basically nowhere I got pissed off and decided I would pay for a 6 month gym membership!

When I started in March of '07 I had good results to begin with, I didn't do any compound exercises and didn't even eat differently. I then stayed the same for months. I bought creatine and loads of protein, I added more compound exercises and cut down on the isolations. I ate and ate, loads of peanut butter and whey protein. I wanted to get into a nice shape for my holiday - I got fat. I put on basically 21lbs of fat! I got slightly stronger but I could hardly see any muscle growth just a gut!

So now I'm 2 months into my gym membership - the guy that owns it is huge and has won numerous body building awards. He's given me a programme to follow, basically no compounds involved tho.

There's one problem right there

I've been eating as much as I can, mostly clean. I have 90g of protein a day from my shakes.

What other protein sources do you have

I've put on 10lbs and it's basically all fat again.

Then you are eating too much, or the wrong foods

I'm at a complete loss at what to do. No matter what I do I just seem to get fat - only on my gut mind you! My arms are skinny, my legs are skinny, my chest is skinny - my gut is fat. After 2 months I feel like I want to go on a diet, I hate being fat. People have come up to me and said "Wow you're getting tubby" Marvellous! I had 1 compliment about 1 month ago, "Have you been working on your triceps?" Well I had but I knew it wasn't because of the exercises, they looked like that a month ago. I play golf, alot of it, and it tones your triceps like mad!

[

Any ideas how to really build muscle? I eat and clean too, if I just ate anything surely I'd just get mega fat? I don't use any other supplements apart from protein.

Is there a specific time I should intake most of my protein? I have my shakes before I go to bed and before a workout, on off days it's first thing in the morning and before I go to bed.

Thanks for reading
    Post your routine and your diet. Once you do that we can see where the specific problems are. Until you do, we can only offer general advice.

Wannabebig Member
    I will get it up tomorrow.

Thing is, I eat alot but I do alot of exercise. I'm hopefully turning golf pro this year, I spend atleast half a day at the course, either practising or playing. I also have 2 dogs that I have to walk, so that's an extra 1.5 hours walking everyday. :S

If you think you're putting on too much fat then slow down the bulk. Don't eat so much fatty.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)