The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

20 rep sets for legs

A couple weeks ago I began to get frustrated at the halted progress my legs were (or weren't) making even though I was squatting heavy and increasing the volume of sets to 8 and trying all sorts of different things and just not feeling like anything was working. Well, a couple of weeks ago I started doing something different.

I began doing 5 sets of 20 reps with 135 (Not increasing the weight as I have done in the past). Within each set, I've been changing my stance after 10 reps, so for the first 10 reps I stand with my feet wide and toes slightly pointed outward, and for the latter 10 reps of my set I bring my feet closer together (0 degrees, shoulder width). I figure "with such light weight, why not front squat?" So, I have been doing this for a few weeks and my legs are not only getting more massive but I am seeing more definition, and doing extra straight leg deadlifts (because front squats seem to leave something lacking for me in the hamstring area) my deadlift has gotten stronger. Definitely a valuable tool.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Not sure about the rep change, but changing over to front squats has changed my life. I haven't squatted with a bar on back in almost a year. I love 'em. Well as much as I can love squats that is.

I like to superset front squats with back squats.. I'll do a set of 10 front squat put it down and switch to back squats..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Front squats are awesome, but I'm convinced that back squats are just as important. I found that after only front squatting for 3 months (not once even attempting to back squats, I was convinced the front squat was the superior technique, hands down) I tried to backsquat and I found that I couldn't back squat more that I could front squat, which isn't right. I was front squatting 225 ATG so my front-squat was good, but I felt like I should be back squatting at least 3 if my front squat is that strong. I started back squatting and doing more straight leg deadlifts to blast my hamstrings and bring them up to symmetry with my quads and this fixed the problem. Now, even though I said earlier that I front squat only for this routine, I do extra straight leg deads and Glute/ham raises to keep this problem from happening to me again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougyp View Post
    I began doing 5 sets of 20 reps with 135 (Not increasing the weight as I have done in the past).
    I like to 20 rep sets for legs I usually end up nearly tossing my lunch but it sure seems to work for me.

Many times I do this rep set for back squats
    and I try to add about 50 lbs each time

I have also used the striping method with good results as well.

I agree with you I seem to respond to higher rep sets esp on Leg extensions; the only problem being that its very hard on the mind to make yourself continue on and squeeze out a few more reps, compared to sets of 5-8.

i do a 20+ rep set for each leg workout. nothing else quite like it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Would you mind keeping us updated on your progress? Like maybe next time you make a significant change to what you're doing...maybe you add more weight, cut the sets down, whatever. I'm interested in the changes you'll make. (Even if you don't change it for a while).