The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Holding Myself Accountable: My Journal.

I'm 6'0 and 142, I began my plan 2 weeks ago and have gained 6 lbs in that timeframe. I play hockey one or two days a week and that's part of what makes it hard to keep the weight on. Anyway, I'm making up this journal to hold myself accountable and hopefully see progress. My main goal is to build strength and gain some weight. I'm not looking for a huge gain, and I don't want to be a monster, I'd actually be happy around 160-165, strong but still a fast hockey player.

Naturally I am big in the chest but have skinny forearms and calves, which are two of my pet peeves. I'm forcing myself to eat around 3k calories a day, which is a ton for me because I'm used to about 1400! Thanks to everyone on this forum, because I would probably be lost without it.
    6'0" 185

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member

Done for the day

Went to the gym here at my place, went at it for 50 or so mins, which was my goal.

Chest, 6 sets x6, 84/96lb
    Shoulder Press, 6x6 72/84lb
    Lat Pulldown 6x6 72/84lb
    10mins on the E. Bike to warm up my groin and hopefully strengthen it.

Edit: 10 sets of 8 reps, bent over rows. I really wanted to work out my lats because I was too embarrassed to post a picture showing the pity that they are.

My post work out shake was protein, almond milk (delicious and won't give me a runny nose and bum stomach), peanut butter and honey. Est 400 calories, 30g protein, 20g fat.

Edit at 12:22 am. Just snuck in the bent over rows and will have a steak sandwich soon to finish the day off.
    Last edited by MisterX; 10-14-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    Really feeling the soreness upper and lower body today. Groin is sore as is all over above the waist. Today is a day off and possibly doing iso arms tomorrow. I'd planned to do legs but I think that might have to wait until Friday. I'm also eating cleaner today than usual, more juice and stuff.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    2700 cals already and I just made another meal. Atleast it's gonna be a healthy one, rice, spinach, corn and a burger. I've forgotten vegetables are part of a balanced diet. Cooking so much is tiring. I'm due up for Mickey D's or Chick-Fil-A tomorrow...
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    Just ate my last meal for the day. I had to run and drop off a few some friends, and my stomach wasn't feeling so great but then I came back and kept eating. I'm either committed or I should be. I'm going to have to work something out somehow tomorrow, although I'm not entirely sure what yet. My groin still isn't feeling good so legs aren't an option. I'll try to come up with something...
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    I've gained another 2 lbs in the past two days, I'm very pleased. I think the day of heavy lifting Tuesday was the catalyst. My shoulders and chest are still busted up today but my groin is feeling a little better. I'm going to use the school gym tomorrow and see if I can get in some leg work, squats, inner legs, etc.

I just bombed a ton of chick-fil-a, approx 1300 calories worth. I think I'm going to be on the steak and pasta train again later but I'm super stuffed for now.
    I was thinking about my ideal weight, I might just go for 155 now and then begin cutting before I think about another bulk later on.
    6'0" 185

Hows the squat#s coming along?
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey, starting them again tomorrow. Groin is feeling a little better so I'll try to take it careful! I appreciate it man.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    So I guess today was my official leg day. I made myself do some simple barbell squats so I could sort of recover my form, 6x6, 70ish lbs. I also did inner/outer thighs, and realized despite my groin feeling so poor, my inner was still stronger than my outer. Probably did 7x6reps on the inner thigh and 6x6 on the outer. I easily got to level 8 of 16 and probably could've gone way higher but am now smart enough not to overdo it.
    6'0" 185

Keep at those squats. Take hot baths and stretch. Curcumin is a natural anti-inflamatory and completely safe. You can get it at any vitamin shop. It goes well with some acetmenophin (sp?) and rest.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, I'll get my form back probably in a week or two so I'm ok with that. Did some work on my forearms just now. Sunday will be a complete upper body day. Just eating my way through friday night and wishing I lived alone...
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    Wow, my legs are super stiff today. I can barely move laterally, I guess I did something right! Tomorrow is going to be a comprehensive upper body day...
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

Cal'ing up

Up to 2800+ calories already and stuffed as hell. I'll probably have a final snack in a couple hours, in preparation for my massive upper body workout tomorrow.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

Up soon

My big upper body workout is coming up soon. I only woke up a few hours ago but have managed to pop in 1000 cals already. I'm planning a tuna sandwich post workout for the massive proteeen. I'm up to 144 now and actually feeling good. I'm pacing myself though b/c I've overdone it in the past.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

gr

Workout complete. Total time was approx an hour. I did 6x6 on the bench, max 108, 7x6 on the shoulders, max 84, lat pulldown machine, 6x6, max 96.

So I noticed I'm starting to get love handles already. 10 lbs in three weeks might do that to you. That's something I'm not thrilled with so I could use some suggestions. I went to TGI Fridays after my workout and was actually craving a salad, their Cobb was killer. I didn't even have to add any dressing. I finished it off with their Vanilla Cheesecake. I'm surprised I got a quality meal there. My only complaint is that it's impossible to find out the nutritional info for anything on their menu. I'm just gonna go ahead and guess 1300 cals and 60 g of fat, 50g protein from those two things (based on what I read from other restaurants salads etc).
    Last edited by MisterX; 10-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

B.O. Rows

Just squeezed off 6 sets of 7 reps on bent over rows. I used 70 lbs already and the weight was no problem. Can I be gaining upper back strength that fast? It reeks of AWESOMENESS.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sore all over today. Upper body from yesterday and legs from Friday, still! So today is a day off and tomorrow is a hockey day, which probably means Wednesday has to be a day off as well. I know growth occurs on off days, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.,,
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

Played

Played my hockey today, had a decent game. I've eaten 3200 cals to make sure I take enough in. I'd like to get back to hockey more because I love the game so much, but my goal is to gain weight and strength. Why? I want to be a power forward (but with good hands). I have the height and it fits my style of play, so probably another 20 lbs would do it. Eating all the time is a gd job though, and I sometimes hate it but am dragging myself through anyway. I'd most like to be chiseled at around 165-170 and I know that takes years, so while I might not get completely there, I want to make substantial progress in that direction. BTW: I gained another 2 lbs yesterday so I'm 147 and climbing now. And either tomorrow or Thursday will be another upper body day, with Friday being lower body.
    Last edited by MisterX; 10-22-2008 at 12:28 AM.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

I am de bear

I picked up some of my ol' favorite weight gainer, Russian Bear. I will be strong like ze bear! I realized I was eating too many grams of fat along with my cal and protein, so this supplement will allow me to get cals and p without eating all that fat...
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

all time record

I think my protein total today will exceed 200 grams, which has to be an all time best. I didn't even want to break 150, but it crept up on me. I'm taking more supplement so I can add more cals in without a ton of NASTY FAT! My muscles do repair much faster when flooding with protein though. This stuff is a little chalky, yargh. I'm hoping to gain 5 lbs within 10 days. I feel like it's time for a heavy upper body day tomorrow, I can hack it. I have some pain in my upper legs from a fall, well someone kind of tackled me, but it'll be ok by Friday I think.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    My shoulders are really torn up today, but my legs are rebounding well. Tomorrow will be my leg day, and Saturday will be upper body. I'm making clear strength gains and quickly, I cannot complain. I'm now focusing on cutting the fat grams down in my day, they were over 100-110 a day consistently.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    I'm disappointed because I seem to have lost a pound somehow lately. I'm finishing a protein shake now and will be at 3k cals, 100g fat and 140g P. This weight gainer really better help and soon. I'm planning to hit the leg exercises tomorrow and upper body Saturday. At this point, more than mass, I want strength. I realize this is a longer-term project and I'm willing to stick with lifting and eating more until the end of the year just to see what I can do. The weight lifting constantly being in a battle with hockey for my time is a pickle though.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

Legs done

Today was indeed my heavy leg workout day. I squatted 105+, woo hoo. Like 4 sets of that times 6 and a couple sets of 90 to warm down. I also did inside and outside though. My groin is strengthening back really well now, as I was able to do sets of 6 on setting 10 of 16 pretty easily. However, I'm surprised my outer legs aren't more powerful.

I've decided to eat a little less and bulk up slowly. The supplement from the past few days has resulted in my stomach feeling like shizit today. And I was definitely eating too much fat, I'm going to aim to gain weight a lot more gradually, with less fat along the way.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member
    I had a couple of hockey games monday and haven't done any lifting since Friday but I've been doing cardio and still eating a good amount. I slammed down a half lb black angus burger earlier and am so full now. I'm thinking of doing a strength workout later, e.g. low reps and sets with very high weight, 90% 1-2 RM max for a set of 4. I'll check in again soon and keep posting every couple days or so.
    6'0" 185

Wannabebig Member

Lift Heavy

I did a nice, 45 minute heavy workout. Beyond 1 warm up set, none of my sets went past 4 reps. I lifted heavy, short reps, fewer sets, 3 minutes in between them and was lifting really close to my max. I put up 108 on the shoulder press for 3 reps, 136 on the bench for 3 and 108 for 2 on the lat pulldown, which was my last, so I was fatigued. Basically doing this once a week, and legs will be done once a week, although they need some time off right now.
    6'0" 185