The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: weak triceps?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117

    weak triceps?

    I have extremly weak triceps and need help...for example

    current bench 250.....5 board 285
    thats only 35 lb difference between bench and 5 board!

    Another thing is when doing overhead jerks (power jerks) I have it within 3" of lock-out (I have good leg drive) but my arms can support the weight good, for example I was do 240 the other day and got it to lock-out but my arms are not strong enough to hold the weight?

    BTW: my arms are kinda long since I am 6'2".
    Last edited by Guido; 03-31-2008 at 08:37 AM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    I sleep with pizza Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nobleton, Ontario
    Posts
    610
    First off, it's 'triceps' not 'tricepts'.

    Do heavy tricep work. 3-5 boards, chains, bands, JM's, CG bench

    I don't really know what you want us to tell you.
    Last edited by Rusty; 03-31-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    First off, it's 'triceps' not 'tricepts'.

    Do heavy tricep work. 3-5 boards, chains, bands, JM's, CG bench

    I don't really know what you want us to tell you.
    ok I will try those.

    EDIT: how do you use bands like which one should I get?
    Last edited by strongkid963; 03-31-2008 at 08:35 AM.

  5. #4
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    First off, it's 'triceps' not 'tricepts'.

    Do heavy tricep work. 3-5 boards, chains, bands, JM's, CG bench

    I don't really know what you want us to tell you.
    Fixed.

    Strongkid, I agree with Rusty. All oft hsoe things will help your tricep strength and lockout. I would also add weighted dips and floor presses to the list.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Fixed.

    Strongkid, I agree with Rusty. All oft hsoe things will help your tricep strength and lockout. I would also add weighted dips and floor presses to the list.
    ok I was doing floor press for 3 weeks but then went back to regular bench and it felt weird. About the same.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,329
    What does your typical week look like right now? There's not really a magic combo to make your triceps stronger. It's just alot of work. It may be as easy as adding some more volume in.

    BTW, I have the same problem.

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by strongkid963 View Post
    EDIT: how do you use bands like which one should I get?

    elitefts.com

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    What does your typical week look like right now? There's not really a magic combo to make your triceps stronger. It's just alot of work. It may be as easy as adding some more volume in.

    BTW, I have the same problem.
    well here is the past week
    _____________________________
    monday:
    front squat-oly style
    135x4-more upright then normal,good
    225x2-no belt, no struggle
    275x1-w/belt super easy
    315x1-knee wraps, dumped it 3/4 up but was good enough to count(slipped)
    power jerk
    135x5
    135x3
    185x2
    205x1
    225x1-solid, good rep
    235x0-so close, weak arms
    200x4-good
    bench press
    135x2
    185x3
    225x1
    255x0-falied at 1" off chest, any suggestion?
    205x5-cg
    185x7
    arch was really good today, back got tired quick.
    back squat-oly style
    135x3
    225x2
    315x1-belt, deep
    405x1-woooooooooooooo new record, apf paralell, w/knee wraps
    225x4
    135x10-wide stance
    pitcher squats(ask for description)
    185x10-cramps for 1.5 hrs after ward, right now as I am writing this quads are ready to cramp and I got a game in a hour.
    hammmer curls
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10

    bodyweight 231-leg strength is climbing.
    _____________________________________________
    wednesday:
    after two baseball games and I pitched alot.
    oly squat\
    152x5
    242x2
    312x2-another team member told me I could get lower on squat if I bend my back over less, so worked on that.My form could havee just been bad from throwing 87+ pitches in the game.
    242x3-better form
    152x5
    152x2
    bench
    135x5
    185x2
    225x2-tough
    245x1
    185x6-weak from game
    135x25
    close grip
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    rack pulls around 18"
    135x5
    225x5
    315x1
    405x1
    495x1
    545x1
    done back was really hurting when I got there thats why I didnt do full deadlifts only rack pulls. Back is still tweaked a bit.
    _____________________________________________________
    thursday:
    today: got farmers in the mail,and I had to try them.'
    farmer walk-weight is each hand
    105x120ft
    195x60
    195x60
    245x40
    245x40
    hold
    265x5 sec. wasnt going for time
    should of went heavier but back and had two games+ powerlifting yesterdy
    STONES to 48
    230x1
    270x1
    230x2
    nothing much
    _____________________________________________

    friday
    bench press
    45x5
    135x5
    185x3
    225x4-good
    power jerk
    135x3
    185x2
    205x1
    225x1
    230x1-good
    245x0
    deadlfit
    135x3
    225x1
    315x1
    405x1
    500x1
    570x1
    good
    ____________________________________________
    saturday:


    training events+squats with alex.
    frontsquat
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    back squat
    275x1-easy
    315x1
    365x0
    315x2
    365x0
    stones to 60"-no tacly
    230x1
    230x1
    230x1
    240x1
    230x1
    then lapping-very very little tacky (finger tips)
    340x1-lil supriseed i did this with little tacky and it being wet.
    340x1-
    Last edited by strongkid963; 03-31-2008 at 09:33 AM.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,329
    Well, from prior experience it's tough to go at overhead and bench and have them both go up.

    Have you thought about moving your overhead to a different day? Maybe do it on your event days?

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Well, from prior experience it's tough to go at overhead and bench and have them both go up.

    Have you thought about moving your overhead to a different day? Maybe do it on your event days?
    in a perfect week I have the following routine
    Tues:bench+overhead
    wednedasy:deadlift and lower body

    fri:same as tuesday
    sat:same as wenesday

    sun:events


    I have been reading articles t-nation and thinking about revising.

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,329
    Why are you doing the same workouts twice per week?

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Why are you doing the same workouts twice per week?
    Because I dont get sore/tired out from 3 w/o's a week.

  14. #13
    Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by strongkid963 View Post
    Because I dont get sore/tired out from 3 w/o's a week.
    Ask yourself, does your body have time to heal?

  15. #14
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    880
    i like all that's been suggested..for my tricep work I'll do ..

    banded jm presses or barbell extensions

    pin presses in the cage right at my sticking point to help develop it
    board presses...but if you're a raw bencher I wouldn't ever go over a 3 board. A 4-5 board is so damn big that even if you get used to supporting the weight the RM isn't that much to get any benefit of unless you're in a shirt

    floor presses do wonders and floor presses with chains..

    close grip floor presses, close grip inclines, close grip bench presses in general...

    anything that's a BIG compound movement with a narrower grip will do wonders for your triceps.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  16. #15
    Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    349
    My favorite exercise is pinpresses with bands

  17. #16
    small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    aylesbury
    Posts
    376
    close grip bench and weighted dips do wonders for my triceps. but i reckon too youre doing too much in the week. if youre not getting sore from that something funny is going on. sounds like your knackering yourself out too much to lift heavy enough, and doing too many singles.

    just my tuppence of course.

  18. #17
    small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    aylesbury
    Posts
    376
    plus if youre doing the boards with more weight i wouldnt say you have 'extremely weak triceps'. dont go overboard trying to push up the weight too quick.

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestCometh View Post
    Ask yourself, does your body have time to heal?
    yeah, I eat alot (ramen noodles 4 paks at a time), but I am afraid I take longer time off I'll get weak (esp. deads)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    i like all that's been suggested..for my tricep work I'll do ..

    banded jm presses or barbell extensions

    pin presses in the cage right at my sticking point to help develop it
    board presses...but if you're a raw bencher I wouldn't ever go over a 3 board. A 4-5 board is so damn big that even if you get used to supporting the weight the RM isn't that much to get any benefit of unless you're in a shirt

    floor presses do wonders and floor presses with chains..

    close grip floor presses, close grip inclines, close grip bench presses in general...

    anything that's a BIG compound movement with a narrower grip will do wonders for your triceps.
    ok I am better at raw benching than in my 1ply loose shirt (long arms)
    Quote Originally Posted by PriestCometh View Post
    My favorite exercise is pinpresses with bands
    I like these for overhead

    Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    close grip bench and weighted dips do wonders for my triceps. but i reckon too youre doing too much in the week. if youre not getting sore from that something funny is going on. sounds like your knackering yourself out too much to lift heavy enough, and doing too many singles.

    just my tuppence of course.
    yeah I don't get sore much anymore I used to couple years ago, but I have never had a sore back from deads.

    Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    plus if youre doing the boards with more weight i wouldnt say you have 'extremely weak triceps'. dont go overboard trying to push up the weight too quick.
    well this week I did 315 5 board, and just missed a 255 regular bench.

  20. #19
    small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    aylesbury
    Posts
    376
    but I am afraid I take longer time off I'll get weak (esp. deads)

    rest is good dude.

    and by the sounds of it your tris are nice and strong. sounds like you may need to work on the delts pecs and lats if your having trouble doing a full bench press.

  21. #20
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,317


    Yep it's doesn't sound like your tri's are really that much of a weakpoint at all.

    Perhaps try working down to lower boards each weak, and do paused, full range pressing.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  22. #21
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    ahhh the joy of being young. in high school i could lift twice a day every day of the week and not think twice about it. time off is good, you'll find that out as you age, haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  23. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    but I am afraid I take longer time off I'll get weak (esp. deads)

    rest is good dude.

    and by the sounds of it your tris are nice and strong. sounds like you may need to work on the delts pecs and lats if your having trouble doing a full bench press.
    ooo but its seems to be tri's on overhead jerk, I can get the weight up sometimes but can't hold it there. understand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post


    Yep it's doesn't sound like your tri's are really that much of a weakpoint at all.

    Perhaps try working down to lower boards each weak, and do paused, full range pressing.
    ok I should start at three board, then two, then max out then again?

  24. #23
    small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    aylesbury
    Posts
    376
    you find you get shaky holding the lockout around the shoulders like you cant push upwards anymore? i had this when i used to do olympic lifting, and holding lockouts when i went heavy was near impossible because of weakness in the delts/traps, especially controlling the snatch. probably explains the problem with the bench too. try strengthening up your delts and traps and see how that changes things.

  25. #24
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhall View Post
    you find you get shaky holding the lockout around the shoulders like you cant push upwards anymore? i had this when i used to do olympic lifting, and holding lockouts when i went heavy was near impossible because of weakness in the delts/traps, especially controlling the snatch. probably explains the problem with the bench too. try strengthening up your delts and traps and see how that changes things.
    yeah i second that..attack that shoulder girdle and work on your back as well. The thicker you are the less distance the bar has to travel and the more power you develop when you press hard into it OFF your back. Shoulders man...nothing better than heavy laterals and presses for shoulders!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  26. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117

Similar Threads

  1. tiny red bumps/marks on the back of triceps
    By intensity in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
  2. Inner Triceps (Longhead) Workout
    By XecutionStyle in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
  3. rep test guide.
    By JSully in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 01:43 AM
  4. could my problem be weak abs?
    By intensity in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 02:59 PM
  5. My annoying triceps
    By Nightmare in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2001, 07:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •