The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    881

    looking at briefs for squatting...

    posting this on another forum but wanted to throw it out to you guys as well since there's more of a powerlifting community here than on the other site. I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier ****. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

    http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

    second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time? I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

    I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,338
    Those will not give you anything more than some hip support. Take a look at the power pants if you want something that will have a little carryover.

    I like the Frantz better but I'm biased since I own them.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    aurora IL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post

    I like the Frantz better but I'm biased since I own them.
    x2 i get a lot out of there 2 ply briefs

  5. #4
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    881
    i guess my number one question would be... will they help my RAW numbers at all?
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  6. #5
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    i guess my number one question would be... will they help my RAW numbers at all?
    frantz are good to start with. inzer power pants i've also heard good things about. those groove briefs we call inzer diapers, not many people like em. metal pro briefs are good too. you're going to be more confident with weight on your back raw, if you've had more on your back even with briefs on. there are different opinions on if geared squatting helps out raw squatting.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  7. #6
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    there are different opinions on if geared squatting helps out raw squatting.
    I'd like to hear more on this.

    I don't see a lot of discussion on this in here... unless I've missed it.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  8. #7
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I'd like to hear more on this.

    I don't see a lot of discussion on this in here... unless I've missed it.
    check elite FTS. think about it. if you squat 315 raw, and you squat 405 in briefs...squatting 315 isn't really as big of a deal as it was prior to you having 405 on your back, and squatting it. briefs or not. chris clark has talked about this i believe.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  9. #8
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    check elite FTS. think about it. if you squat 315 raw, and you squat 405 in briefs...squatting 315 isn't really as big of a deal as it was prior to you having 405 on your back, and squatting it. briefs or not. chris clark has talked about this i believe.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's a much better way to prep your CNS for heavier loads, but that's all I can see it doing for you..
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  10. #9
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    i guess my number one question would be... will they help my RAW numbers at all?
    Maybe, maybe not. If you are coming back from an injury and you wear a pair of briefs or suit bottoms to give some extra support, it certainly may.

    Giving you a little extra confidence when you go back to hit heavier numbers raw is not something you can overestimate IMO.

    If you use the briefs only when you are getting used to the groove of them, or for your heaviest sets (the sets heavier than what you'd generally hit raw), there is really no reason to feel like you are developing a "equipment dependency". So, the argument that you might make your raw squat worse is not valid IMO.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-11-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  11. #10
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,645
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    posting this on another forum but wanted to throw it out to you guys as well since there's more of a powerlifting community here than on the other site. I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier ****. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

    http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

    second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time? I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

    I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.
    Dude, whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE INZER GROOVE BRIEFS. They suck donkey dill. Why do they suck? Because all they do is cut the crap out of your legs and groin. Might as well wear a very tight and uncomfortable pair of sturdy whitey-tighties.

    If you're going to bother to buy briefs, at least get a pair of decent ones that will give you some support. They will be worth the extra $$. I'm sorry I can't give you advice on a good pair of single-ply briefs, because I've never tried any that were worth recommending - not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't tried them.

    I've heard great things about Titan Boss briefs. I like the Metal Pro briefs. I'm sure there are others - it's been a while since I've looked into them.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  12. #11
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Dude, whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE INZER GROOVE BRIEFS. They suck donkey dill. Why do they suck? Because all they do is cut the crap out of your legs and groin. Might as well wear a very tight and uncomfortable pair of sturdy whitey-tighties.

    If you're going to bother to buy briefs, at least get a pair of decent ones that will give you some support. They will be worth the extra $$. I'm sorry I can't give you advice on a good pair of single-ply briefs, because I've never tried any that were worth recommending - not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't tried them.

    I've heard great things about Titan Boss briefs. I like the Metal Pro briefs. I'm sure there are others - it's been a while since I've looked into them.




    All Metal briefs are good.

    Your best bet if you want single ply only would be to get a single ply suit and just leave the straps down. In that case you would have a lot to choose from. Inzer, Metal, Titan all make good single ply suits.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

  13. #12
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,933
    I can't comment on helping your squat numbers since I don't compete in the squat, but benching in a shirt definatly helps my raw stuff big time. After 3 weeks in the shirt, I hit a huge PR this week raw

    I hit my first 455 bench after being in the shirt for 2 months straight.

  14. #13
    Getting Better..... bigmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,016
    the general consensus from my training partners is that the metal pro briefs are a great pair to start out with!

  15. #14
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    881
    thanks guys..i think i'm going to just look at a single ply suit and just working with the straps down..


    and just incase I ever decide to do a singly ply fed meet...
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  16. #15
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    thanks guys..i think i'm going to just look at a single ply suit and just working with the straps down..


    and just incase I ever decide to do a singly ply fed meet...
    the v-type has done me well.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Similar Threads

  1. Attaching Handles to Ace Briefs
    By Sidior in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 05:15 AM
  2. inzer briefs...whats this about screwed sizing?
    By jtteg_x in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 12:42 PM
  3. Squat Briefs worth it?
    By Optimum08 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM
  5. Boxers or boxer briefs
    By Munky in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 08:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •