Thread: How do I go about getting back in shape?

Wannabebig Member

How do I go about getting back in shape?

Im an ex-athlete so I have always been in shape. Up until my senior year of college last year I was 6"4 205-210 and muscular. Now after I graduated I have been working to save up to go to grad school next year and havent touched a bball for almost a year and it has killed my body. Now I'm 6"4 228-230. How do I go about losing it, I never had to try to be in good shape before.

Do I just start going back to what I used to do..play lots of bball and lift a little or do I have to diet as well. And if I need to diet how do you think it would take to get back to my playing weight. I'm moving to California mid July and I want to be in shape by then.

Lift heavy and get lotsa protein. Aim for around 2500 calories a day. Try that for 2 weeks. Adjust calories accordingly if you're not losing any weight. Protein is important, so you keep most of your muscle while losing mostly body fat.

Some people get the idea that you need to do cardio to lose weight, or if you're lifting it should be low weight and high reps. Bull****. Lift heavy. And don't drink soda.

If you're dedicated, you should be able to get down to around 205 by July.

Also, Suns > Lakers
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers24 View Post
    Im an ex-athlete so I have always been in shape. Up until my senior year of college last year I was 6"4 205-210 and muscular. Now after I graduated I have been working to save up to go to grad school next year and havent touched a bball for almost a year and it has killed my body. Now I'm 6"4 228-230. How do I go about losing it, I never had to try to be in good shape before.

Do I just start going back to what I used to do..play lots of bball and lift a little or do I have to diet as well. And if I need to diet how do you think it would take to get back to my playing weight. I'm moving to California mid July and I want to be in shape by then.
    get a solid routine and get your diet in check. i use fitday.com, it's free. when i started getting my diet under control (almost 2 years ago) i went off the premise that "if it doesn't run, fly, swim or isn't a green veggie...think twice before eating it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Lift heavy and get lotsa protein. Aim for around 2500 calories a day. Try that for 2 weeks. Adjust calories accordingly if you're not losing any weight. Protein is important, so you keep most of your muscle while losing mostly body fat.

Some people get the idea that you need to do cardio to lose weight, or if you're lifting it should be low weight and high reps. Bull****. Lift heavy. And don't drink soda.

If you're dedicated, you should be able to get down to around 205 by July.

Also, Suns > Lakers
    OK..so lift heavy. Is juice OK instead of soda and should I stay away from fried foods and stuff. I always hear people talking about measuring food and stuff wasnt sure if I needed to get into all of that just yet. I think I might do one of those journals I saw too to help keep motivated too. thanks for the advice

edit: didnt see that Suns>Lakers part. Dont let the last 2 years fool you. We are back and ready for a dynasty
    Last edited by Lakers24; 04-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.

NO JUICES...juices are just as bad as pop. You should stay away from the fried foods too.

Heres a basic idea of what to eat.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
    Quiters never win and winners never quit.

Big 3:
    Bench:230lbs Deadlift:455lbs Squat:350lbs
    Total:1035lbs

Switched to http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php for my bodybuilding needs

Step 1: clean up your diet.

Step 2: Become more active throughout your daily life (biking instead of driving, etc).

Step 3: Solid weight routine (can be found at this site).

If I followed 1 and 2 I'd be pretty ripped.

Wannabebig Member
    Thx for the advice its working like a charm. I'm already down to 222. This losing weight thing is a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers24 View Post
    Thx for the advice its working like a charm. I'm already down to 222. This losing weight thing is a piece of cake.
    Not to burst any bubbles, but you probably just lost some water weight. I doubt you lost 6 pounds of fat in two and a half days.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Not to burst any bubbles, but you probably just lost some water weight. I doubt you lost 6 pounds of fat in two and a half days.
    I started from last Thursday...I just posted here to get an opinion. I feel your probably right though. I have been running 2 miles in the mourning+ lift, playing ball from 6-8 at night. Im just happy I can start to see my shape coming back.