The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, my first 'corporate' job...

Are you kidding me? Granted I'm not a VP of banking (I do fairly standard data entry... hourly rate, very entry level), but for f'ing serious? I don't even consider myself the most competent or put-together or 'go getting' guy I know (I can think of a dozen friends I'd want to run a company before me)... but my coworkers are it? This is our world? Seriously, America? Honestly, world? These are the most enterprising and competent people we can find?

Am I just imagining ****? Are people this stupid? Incompetent? I work for a major bank, and I am astounded at the office politics, mismanagement, inefficiency and general incompetence. I don't want to sound like an arrogant jerk but I could do better and I'm 20 w/o a degree. These people are in their thirties and forties and often went to school for this.

Do I really need to endure these people to hope to move up some day? Is business just a series of butt ****s until you're the boss- or close enough to being the boss- and the butt ****s diminish into rim jobs?

I know I screwed up by not finishing school and so maybe these responsibilities (dealing with incompetent workmates, observing inept upper management) are mine to bear, but holy God in Heaven. This is absurd.
    Last edited by Organichu; 04-18-2008 at 03:22 AM.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes, it really is that bad. I was pretty surprised at how inefficient the modern workplace is. Actually, I was shocked.

Whatever.

Yep.

20% of the people do 80% of the work (this has actually been confirmed via production numbers in my office) and the other 80% of the people are either lucky morons, or lazy douche bags. The same ratios apply to supervisory positions as well. It won't be any different anywhere you go. Welcome to life.
    Last edited by Patz; 04-18-2008 at 06:22 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

It can be different in other organizations, but, what you are experiencing is normal.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 04-18-2008 at 06:26 AM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

The best advice I can give you is..

Look out for yourself.

Shine whenever the opportunity arises.

Be careful about letting people latch onto you (i.e., management) when they figure out what you're capable of. But, don't be afraid to give and take while doing some networking. Make sure it's a win/win situation.

Be ethical at all times.
    Last edited by Patz; 04-18-2008 at 06:27 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

Yup. Par for the course. If you want to see some really awesome mental power, get a job working for (or even with) state government or agencies. Holy ****ing ****.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Welcome to every ****ing corporate job I've ever had.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Welcome to every ****ing corporate job I've ever had.

That's why I now work for myself.

My boss is still a douch but he's OK generally.

Banned
    I worked in a bank for a summer. I was amazed at how ******ed just about everyone there was. The only people that seemed to know anything were the CEOs, but they were rarely there.

My thoughts, experiences on corporate jobs:

1. Never, ever, be so good at your job you can't be replaced. Otherwise you will never move up.

2. Corollary to 1. Never, ever, be so bad at your job you must be replaced.

3. I think I miss the rigid heirarchy of old-time corporate relations. The time where you called your boss Mr. So-and-so, not "Mike" or "Jan" or "Timmy".

4. Corporations are they way they are party because people are too concious of other people's feelings. I'm not saying you should be a jerk or purposefully insult people. But if someone screws up, they should be reprimanded. A quick story:

I was working for a big insurance co (let's call it Prudent Life) in the 401k dept. I was entrusted to fix this guy's account and I messed up. It was a big client, and my boss called me in and very nicely asked me what happened and I professed my mea culpa. So, I had to re-fix the account, and I promised it would be done by Friday. Absolutely, positively done on Friday.

Guess what? I screwed up again. I accidentally sent in trades for FRSXY instead of FRSXX (mutual fund symbols). My boss was irate. I got called on the carpet right in front of everyone. He was even yelling. I got the point, and it made me more hyper vigilant in the future.

But my co-workers were aghast at the way I was treated. They couldn't believe he yelled at me. I was like, "Well, maybe if he yelled a little bit more, things would get done right."

Moral: I think today's coddling of employees, and the employees expecting it, getting rankled every time they are reprimanded, fosters a culture of laziness.

5. Though the procedures and policies may seem inane to you, remember, the person who came up with them had to balance the needs of the people below him and the people above him. Managers are in a delicate tug of war to get the most out of her workers while conforming to corporate police and budget constraints.

I could go on, but these are my thoughts off the top of my head.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Move.
    Nick V

It is hard to find a good organization to work for. Good corporate culture is hard to find. This is why they make a list of "The best companies to work for"

Generally, if everything is still working as it always has and the company is making money in the end, nobody wants to take the respobsibility of making major changes. So, you end up with a bunch of clowns like you described.

I wrote my thesis on change management
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

My advice: either get out now and find another job. Or, stick it out for at least 18 months. Employers are not keen to hire job-hoppers, because they don't want to go through the time, effort and expense to train a new worker if he or she plans on leaving soon.

But then again, if you leave now, chances are you will be entering into yet another entry-level job.
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I'm lucky enough to be with a company on the "best to work for" list. Nothing like that here, just seems to be the cream of the crop.
    33, 5'-10Ĺ", 205 lbs.

2009 Goal is to join the 1,000 lb. club:
    335 Bench (previously achieved in 2005)
    335 Deadlift
    335 Squat

IronGrip IV's Online Journal
    IronGrip IV's "Before" Pics (03/25/08)

20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    My thoughts, experiences on corporate jobs:

1. Never, ever, be so good at your job you can't be replaced. Otherwise you will never move up.
    I disagree, by being great at what I do I was able to get the position I am in now. Other workers with more senority were looked over because they were medicore.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    I disagree, by being great at what I do I was able to get the position I am in now. Other workers with more senority were looked over because they were medicore.
    True! Also kind of funny that yesterday our boss was telling me that the instructor of his night school class had applied for my job last year and was one of the folks that I beat out for the job.
    33, 5'-10Ĺ", 205 lbs.

2009 Goal is to join the 1,000 lb. club:
    335 Bench (previously achieved in 2005)
    335 Deadlift
    335 Squat

IronGrip IV's Online Journal
    IronGrip IV's "Before" Pics (03/25/08)

Our company is pretty efficient. If you want to find good companies, sometimes you need to find those that are growing quickly, in start-up mode or continually buying out other companies. They tend to shed those who are incompetant pretty quickly.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    I have a buddy who was pretty much indispensable at his job. Each time a promotion came up, other, less-deserving people got it because the firm did not want to replace him with someone else.

I did not say not to be good or great at your job (it is something everyone should strive for). I said don't be so good as they can't replace you.

And on another note: Try to be a "go-to" guy for something. Become an expert in on facet of your department's activities. Especially something arcane or new. Know your job fully, but become the "go-to" guy for one thing. That will get your name on your manager's lips more and her boss's lips, too, maybe. Stand out for the right reasons.

For example, when I was with that big insurance company, we started doing trades for the non-proprietary mutual funds (that is, for funds like Fidelity, Oppenheimer, Janus in addition to ours). I got to know the system and procedures very well; I learned everything I could about the way it affected my job, my area, and all the other areas it touched. When the supervisor of that area got promoted, they moved me up even though I wasn't technically in their dept because I knew so much about how things worked.

Moral: Become the "go-to" guy for something.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    There is rarely a strong correlation between working hard and getting promoted. Just make sure the things you do are of high quality.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Getting promoted is generally about someone above you liking you, or you've accidentally fooled someone above you (who, not coincidentally, is also much dumber than you) into believing you're better than you are.

Or, someone above you (still someone dumb, but sly enough to know the ropes) is using you to move up, and bringing you along with them. In some cases it's genuine loyalty, but in others is flat-out using you to get ahead.

BG is correct, though. Be a go-to guy. Be a go-to guy AND network outisde of your department. If you're afraid of being irreplaceable, make sure you have options that are not within the reach of your superiors, ya know?

Don't master just one thing, though. Master everything. If it doesn't help you in the here and now, that experience will be invaluable in future jobs or for your resume. I recently put together my first resume in almost 10 years, and I was blown away at all I've learned in 8 years at my current job. And, I'm reading all these job postings I'm interested in, and I'm a damned valuable guy in my industry.

SOAK IT UP.

5/3/1 Journal

I also have to add that with regard to promotion, I'm speaking from the perspective of working for a Fortune 15 company, yet I'm in a labor union. In the union, when a non-management promotion is available, we're all categorized and ranked based on education, experience, and appraisals. It's a crock, because I can SLAY 30-50 people in my office that have electrical engineering degrees. I have an Associate degree. But, my union ranking is still about the same. The big kicker is the appraisals. If someone in management likes you and wants to help you out, they give you the ever-elusive "exceeds requirements," and you trump anyone with the same ranking. With open management promotions, all bets are off. I've actually turned a couple of those down in the last year, but they've got some stability issues..lol

But, it's a union. With the good comes the bad. I can't be laid off. I can't be transferred more than 50 miles (which means I can't be transferred), and I make a fantastic living.

5/3/1 Journal

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Blue collar is different. I'm glad to be out of Corporate america. Where people have meetings to decide when to have meetings.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Maybe it was because I started out working at Subway's and Home Depot that I enjoy being in the corporate world. At least at the company I work at everyone is well educated and responsible, not to mention the big business benefits. Actually paying for me to go to law school next year, can't beat it.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

LOL. I used to do check data entry for a bank. Getting fired from that POS job is the best thing that happened to me.
    405 Deadlift
    275 Bench
    365 Squat