Thread: Calibrating an HDTV

Calibrating an HDTV

I just purchased an HDTV about a month ago (Sharp LC46D82U) and I've been playing with the setting ever since trying to get that "perfect picture". Since I have armature eyes in getting this calibrated perfectly, I was wondering if anybody had advice on the best way to get a HDTV calibrated. Would you recommend using some kind of calibration disc (if so, do you have a specific recommendation), or just continue to play with the settings, or something else? I'll be using my TV mostly for ps3 gaming, blu-ray movies, and to watch football on.

Do a web search. I tried "Calibrate HDTV" and "Calibrate HDTV forum" and got a bunch of hits:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=calibrate+h...rc=0&o=0&l=dir

http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=167&o=0&...&search=search
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Do a web search. I tried "Calibrate HDTV" and "Calibrate HDTV forum" and got a bunch of hits:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=calibrate+h...rc=0&o=0&l=dir

http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=167&o=0&...&search=search
    I have done some searches online, and did find some settings for Sharp models, but I couldn't find anything for my particular model. I also tried some searches for calibration discs, but mostly found stuff on web sites wanting to sell me one. I don't have a problem buying one, I just wanted to know if anybody has used them (and if so, if they could recommend a good one) or if they are a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by CBates View Post
    I have done some searches online, and did find some settings for Sharp models, but I couldn't find anything for my particular model. I also tried some searches for calibration discs, but mostly found stuff on web sites wanting to sell me one. I don't have a problem buying one, I just wanted to know if anybody has used them (and if so, if they could recommend a good one) or if they are a waste of money.
    My (semi-) point was to maybe go to the technical forums and ask those folks. Chances are the population on those boards that have experience with calibrating HDTV's are slightly larger than the one here at WBB.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Bicster
    i use the avia dvd. works pretty good. also, on any disney dvd (i.e. incredibles)there are calibration options. they are remarkably thourough.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    My (semi-) point was to maybe go to the technical forums and ask those folks. Chances are the population on those boards that have experience with calibrating HDTV's are slightly larger than the one here at WBB.
    thanks...I'll keep that in mind next time. Since I already had an account here and since it was in general chat, thought I may post it here to see if anybody had experience with this, guess that was the wrong thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicster View Post
    i use the avia dvd. works pretty good. also, on any disney dvd (i.e. incredibles)there are calibration options. they are remarkably thourough.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out.