The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Problems touching

Last edited by kingkong51; 04-16-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rob,I have said before what the problem is man...

You aren't tucking your elbows near enough, you aren't bringing the bar down in a low enough groove either. Your elbow tuck is most of the problem though...if u tuck your elbows enough, you can go lower...if u look closely, your wrists are in front of your elbows...

While I think it is no secret that strength still plays a role in benching, technique is the biggest thing. Let me tell you...with your natural strength..800 should be a pitstop...900 is where u would be with some tech work.

You might not want to hear the solution though...you have to train in the shirt a LOT more to get the tech down. I didn't like it either...I like to train for strength as well...but if u want a bigger shirted bench...you have to train in it....it is going to be up to you to decide what you want...a bigger shirted bench or a bigger raw bench. The only thing you will get by training both is kinda good at both...but not great in either. I tried it...

I hope u are gonna be at Jon's meet this weekend!

Wont be able to make it paul mom is sick and going to spend the weekend with her

Definitely an elbow thing, I'm not an expert by any means, but I lift in a Titan Fury and I can touch 365-405 easy (which is less than half of what your doing)

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Rob,I have said before what the problem is man...

You aren't tucking your elbows near enough, you aren't bringing the bar down in a low enough groove either. Your elbow tuck is most of the problem though...if u tuck your elbows enough, you can go lower...if u look closely, your wrists are in front of your elbows...

While I think it is no secret that strength still plays a role in benching, technique is the biggest thing. Let me tell you...with your natural strength..800 should be a pitstop...900 is where u would be with some tech work.

You might not want to hear the solution though...you have to train in the shirt a LOT more to get the tech down. I didn't like it either...I like to train for strength as well...but if u want a bigger shirted bench...you have to train in it....it is going to be up to you to decide what you want...a bigger shirted bench or a bigger raw bench. The only thing you will get by training both is kinda good at both...but not great in either. I tried it...

I hope u are gonna be at Jon's meet this weekend!

What do you think about having him raise his head Paul? good idea or no?

Personally I like to raise my head. Its the way Lou taught me to bench but also when I get down to the bottom, its more my shoulders forcing my elbows to drop down that last little bit. Alot of guys don't raise there head though

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

well, raising his head would help him lower the bar more, but the problem is still elbow position....if he picks his head up with his elbows in that position...he will dump it from right there.

my solution is to get in teh shirt more...start with a 3 maybe even a 4 brd...and start teaching him t go lower and tuck the elbows more. ..starting on the 4 brd..work his way down the brds and not allow him to advance to the next lower brd till he hits it right on the previous brd. Thats what George did to me anyway lol

It's really just a habit from all the heavy raw training he does....knowing Rob he prolly worked up to 585 or 600 warming up for that lift lol

Banned
    Gotta tuck those elbows. That'll help you touch for sure.

I don't like lifting the head. It makes the belly drop down. Tuck the elbows hard, drive the feet into the ground and push the belly to the sky.

845 should be an easy touch. Work the technique and it'll fly.

How in the hell can someone not touch 845 in a single ply shirt?! How freaking tight is that thing?? Also, is it open back?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

well, raising his head would help him lower the bar more, but the problem is still elbow position....if he picks his head up with his elbows in that position...he will dump it from right there.

my solution is to get in teh shirt more...start with a 3 maybe even a 4 brd...and start teaching him t go lower and tuck the elbows more. ..starting on the 4 brd..work his way down the brds and not allow him to advance to the next lower brd till he hits it right on the previous brd. Thats what George did to me anyway lol

It's really just a habit from all the heavy raw training he does....knowing Rob he prolly worked up to 585 or 600 warming up for that lift lol
    that makes sense. Good advice

I guess with myself, when I raise my head it allows me to tuck even harder those last couple inches. when I raise my head, at the same time I drive harder with my legs so I'm ready to slam my head back and throw that weight up.

Keep at it Rob, you'll get it

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    How in the hell can someone not touch 845 in a single ply shirt?! How freaking tight is that thing?? Also, is it open back?
    when the guy wearing the shirt benches 630+lbs without it, it is really not that difficult to understand. Technique is more the issue here, not the shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    when the guy wearing the shirt benches 630+lbs without it, it is really not that difficult to understand. Technique is more the issue here, not the shirt
    Well then that's 200lbs over his raw max. I've done 285 raw and am probably capable of more now and I can touch 350 relatively easy in my single ply metal king presser.

I guess what I'm asking is, what the hell did he do to that shirt to not be able to touch that much weight?! Riculously tight? Chest plate cranked down really low? Sleeves torqued like there's no tomorrow?

If he's having that much trouble touching he must be getting a ton out of it....
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

I hope your mom feels better Robert.

Chris

actually no i didnt paul

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I hope your mom feels better Robert.

Chris
    Thanks Chris

u didn't rob? well....call me impressed. I figured u went up tp 600 or so every time u trained bench lol

deed...it doesn't have anything to do with how tight the shirt was or how the shirt is placed. It is still technique based....better technique and 845 wouldn't be a hard touch in that shirt. I would dare t guess....without having seen u lift, that your technique may be better than that shown here by Rob...thereby letting u touch with lighter weight.

Rob, is really just crazy ass strong....he just hasn't figured out how to harness that strength in a way that applies to equipped lifting...once he figures out the tech changes and groove changes.....800 will be nothing and 900+ would be there.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Well then that's 200lbs over his raw max. I've done 285 raw and am probably capable of more now and I can touch 350 relatively easy in my single ply metal king presser.

I guess what I'm asking is, what the hell did he do to that shirt to not be able to touch that much weight?! Riculously tight? Chest plate cranked down really low? Sleeves torqued like there's no tomorrow?

If he's having that much trouble touching he must be getting a ton out of it....

You also have to remember that 285 is over 80% of your 350 shirt bench. 630 is just under 80% of the 800 he was going for. So realistically, it's about the same. You can't expect a guy his size to be touching 350 in a single ply shirt. That would be ridicuolus and he might as well be wearing Under Armour instead of a bench shirt. Plus, you have a lot more experience in the shirt than he does. Touching weights comes with practice, frustration, practice, frustration, practice, etc., unless you have a loose shirt.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    You also have to remember that 285 is over 80% of your 350 shirt bench. 630 is just under 80% of the 800 he was going for. So realistically, it's about the same. You can't expect a guy his size to be touching 350 in a single ply shirt. That would be ridicuolus and he might as well be wearing Under Armour instead of a bench shirt. Plus, you have a lot more experience in the shirt than he does. Touching weights comes with practice, frustration, practice, frustration, practice, etc., unless you have a loose shirt.
    Yeah I guess I never thought of it that way... So as you get stronger, you get more out of a shirt? That's awesome

I don't know if I have more practice than him... I put on a shirt for the first time a little less than a year ago. I might just be more awesome

Haha, actually, the guys I train with have told me that my raw bench looks like a shirted bench anyway... Probably from all the articles I've read about technique.
    Full Powerlifting

okay first let's put things into perspective here...

845 HAVING PROBLEMS TOUCHING IN A SINGLE PLY?!?!?! WTF IS THAT EVEN HUMAN?!?! saw your movie on TBS the other night kong..way to kick trex ass! lol

seriously though.. you shoudl be bringing that bar down lower and bring those elbows in tighter like everyone else said. maybe bringing the grip in a finger or two to forces them closer like a closed grip bench? might be some things to try. Push that midsection up higher if you can to meet it halfway.

900 or bust baby! bring it home big black!

well wishes for your mom too bro..
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!