The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training my younger brother

My brother turned 13 this year, and he's a couch potato. A ****ty diet full of chips, pop, junk food and video games has him putting on weight and he's pretty chubby. I decided to take him under my wing and get him to lose the excess fat and get him into lifting.

The first thing I want to go ahead and do is clean up his diet, I'm gonna cut the unhealthy snacks, get him to make his lunch for school and just get him eating cleaner. I wanna show him that eating healthy means you can still eat tasty food.

Secondly, I bought him a 3 month gym and swim pass to come out with me and start lifting. Here's where my question comes in, I wanna get him on a routine like starting strength. Are there are health risks I should take into consideration with him doing deads, squats, or any heavy compound in general? I've also been getting him to run outside, none of that treadmill gerbil crap.

Any other advice is welcome as well.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd imagine getting him to train would be hard enough as it is. After 2 months or so of progressing through the lifts and getting stronger, maybe then you should try getting him onto a more healthy, productive diet. Take it one step at a time, you know?

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I'd imagine getting him to train would be hard enough as it is. After 2 months or so of progressing through the lifts and getting stronger, maybe then you should try getting him onto a more healthy, productive diet. Take it one step at a time, you know?
    yeah, i gotta agree with kastro. ease him into it, you don't want him to get frustrated and give up right away. remember, he's only 13, the last thing he probably wants to do is eat perfectly healthy and workout all time.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I would start him on a routine using mainly plyometrics at first (maybe 4 weeks) then focus on form of one movement then into SS. Then slowly start integrating the cardio into it. Running, then sprinting, then hiit, then sled work, then swimming then hiit with swimming... keep changing something up til he is addicted. And keep a log of his lifts so he can see progress and encourage him in everything he does! Just a thought...

Well, he's actually really looking forward to it and really excited about it. Had the first workout yesterday, and he said it was great.

But that's a good point, and I'm going to keep that in mind and ease him into the entire thing.

Start with LOW weights and teach the proper form (I hope yours is good! ). Rippetoe suggests ALWAYS starting with just the bar.

Keep him focused. Tell him not to try and emulate the curl jockeys, and keep him away from exotic lifts. For example, we have a guy who hangs a pair of handles from the chin bar and does pushups on them.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    and keep him away from exotic lifts. For example, we have a guy who hangs a pair of handles from the chin bar and does pushups on them.
    What do you have against exotic lifts...everyone has differant goals.

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    What do you have against exotic lifts...everyone has differant goals.
    But novice trainers should stick with the basics to build a good foundation, IMO. Trying to do many varieties of lifts can be distracting.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

start him with functional movements and light jog for the first 1-2weeks, then you move him to strength compound exercises, do some planks & rotations every week(do not neglect his core)

So far, we've done legs, chest and bis. I started all exercises at bar, and just worked on him balancing everything and working on his form. We did legs yesterday which meant squats, front squats and romanian deads. It went really well and around the third set (5x5s) he had it balancing for himself, back straight, and good feet positioning. But he couldn't do front squats, my guess is that the bar was too heavy for him to hold up and squat at the same time, so I had him grab dumbbells and do lunges.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    But novice trainers should stick with the basics to build a good foundation, IMO. Trying to do many varieties of lifts can be distracting.
    I'm gonna stick to the common compounds till he gets his lifting legs
    Last edited by lakeripple; 04-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.