Thread: The break within a routine... do you need it?

The break within a routine... do you need it?

Here's some food for thought...

Typically, routines have something like this

Day1: gym
    Day2: rest
    Day3: gym
    Day4: rest
    Day5: gym
    Day6:rest
    Day7:rest

Do we really need that two day rest? I think we are cutting ourselves short. Why should we limit our body's capabilities like this? What I am proposing is to continually go to the gym and have a rest day with no two day rest. The only time we should is if we feel like it.

This would be more beneficial for the intermediate lifter as they have been accustomed to the soreness from the gym and know when they have over worked.

Anyone agree with me here? Only rest when you feel like it, otherwise just keep going.

I have been doing ripptoe's and have done away with the two day rest and am having great results. I still just started it (a month) and have only recently needed a two day rest. This way, I can push my body to be able to handle more frequency.

The best training plans are still just plans... If you think you should do more, then train harder, longer or more frequently. If you are getting beat up, take more rest.

Generally speaking, it's better to be undertrained than overtrained.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

It's not only muscles that need rest, but the CNS, too.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Everyone is different. My body loves rest, I think it's important to give yourself 2 days at least of rest every 2 or 3 weeks. In my case, when I give myself a couple days of rest and eat good food, I come back stronger and I gain a little mass. For the longest time I worked out every-other-day, and after a while I realized it wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I liked my old routine at the time, it helped me acclimate to more frequency like you say, and I did have solid gains, but I hit a plateau.

The two day rest is good to reset and start the next week fresh. I only rest two days straight every 2 or 3 weeks though.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I still just started it (a month) and have only recently needed a two day rest.
    So you did feel that you were overtraining a little and needed to take a little more rest even after 1 month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Generally speaking, it's better to be undertrained than overtrained.
    I agree with this
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    So you did feel that you were overtraining a little and needed to take a little more rest even after 1 month.

I agree with this
    My body felt exhausted. I actually felt like I couldn't perform. This was my body probably telling me to take a rest.

And over training obviously isn't something people strive for, but pushing your body to the limit in a safe secure manner never hurts. Sure, Ill get over trained and have to take a few days break, awesome. I wont continue to go to the gym, thats how people hurt themselves. Ill get right back to it when I feel like it.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-16-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Here's some food for thought...

Typically, routines have something like this

Day1: gym
    Day2: rest
    Day3: gym
    Day4: rest
    Day5: gym
    Day6:rest
    Day7:rest

Do we really need that two day rest? I think we are cutting ourselves short. Why should we limit our body's capabilities like this? What I am proposing is to continually go to the gym and have a rest day with no two day rest. The only time we should is if we feel like it.

This would be more beneficial for the intermediate lifter as they have been accustomed to the soreness from the gym and know when they have over worked.

Anyone agree with me here? Only rest when you feel like it, otherwise just keep going.

I have been doing ripptoe's and have done away with the two day rest and am having great results. I still just started it (a month) and have only recently needed a two day rest. This way, I can push my body to be able to handle more frequency.
    Hehehe, joining the club are we?>
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

If your body can handle it, go for it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Many weightlifters have adapted to far more frequency than this. Go for it.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Many weightlifters have adapted to far more frequency than this. Go for it.

Keep in mind though that any of these weightlifters that use "far more frequency" than training every other day, are very likely professional athletes.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 04-16-2008 at 07:40 PM.

I think it depends on what you are doing in these days. As long as you are hitting a different body part each day I would say it's fine to train five times a week. A lot of bodybuilders I know go 5 days a week and they are big as hell.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-16-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I think it depends on what you are doing in these days. As long as you are hitting a different body part each day I would say it's fine to train five times a week. A lot of bodybuilders I know go 5 days a week and they are big as hell.
    I am except for squats.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I do

Gym
    Gym
    Rest
    Gym
    Gym
    Rest
    Rest
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I do

Gym
    Gym
    Rest
    Gym
    Gym
    Rest
    Rest
    If my routine was set up differently that may be an option, but two days in a row of heavy squatting is murder for me at this point lol.