The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997

    Straight sets or heavy ramped sets?

    For a volume routine, someone told me that on my work sets I should be increasing the weight through the sets and that that is more effective then just straight sets at a static weight. I am trying to figure out what he meant by that. Is this the correct way of doing this?:

    For example, if I was doing 4 sets of 6-10 reps of an exercise

    Instead of this:

    Warmups, 250x10, 250x10, 250x8, 250x6

    I would do this:

    Warmups, 235x10, 250x10, 265x8, 275x6
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    I would do this:

    240 x 10 for 4 sets.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    407
    Straight sets. If no one posts why later, I'll be back on in like 10 hours and I'll write up why.

  5. #4
    Banned MPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    947
    I've used heavy ramped sets before. After a few months, my muscles and cns were so overtrained I just couldn't lift heavy anymore. It's really taxing physically as well as mentally to go heavy all the time and keep increasing weights after each set.

  6. #5
    Raw K.Huget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Straight sets. If no one posts why later, I'll be back on in like 10 hours and I'll write up why.
    Alright i'm waiting for that explanation because I thought it was common to pyramid, and i've been doing it since I started lifting.

  7. #6
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    For a volume routine, someone told me that on my work sets I should be increasing the weight through the sets and that that is more effective then just straight sets at a static weight. I am trying to figure out what he meant by that. Is this the correct way of doing this?:

    For example, if I was doing 4 sets of 6-10 reps of an exercise

    Instead of this:

    Warmups, 250x10, 250x10, 250x8, 250x6

    I would do this:

    Warmups, 235x10, 250x10, 265x8, 275x6
    Either is fine. It depends on your goals. If you want to keep getting stronger and bigger...at some point you are going to have to increase the weight.

  8. #7
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    I'm talking about a hypertrophy focused routine here. Obviously ramping up to a max set is good for low volume strength routine or powerlifting routine just because you need to be ready to lift the heavy weights, but is it better to do heavy straight sets or heavy ramped work sets for a high volume bodybuilding-type routine?

    And I mean small jumps between the weight, like 5%. I think it would probably be easier to make faster progress in weight by ramping, but IDK.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-16-2008 at 09:07 PM.

  9. #8
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I'm talking about a hypertrophy focused routine here. Obviously ramping up to a max set is good for low volume strength routine or powerlifting routine just because you need to be ready to lift the heavy weights, but is it better to do heavy straight sets or heavy ramped work sets for a high volume bodybuilding-type routine?

    And I mean small jumps between the weight, like 5%. I think it would probably be easier to make faster progress in weight by ramping, but IDK.
    Well a high volume bodybuilding-type routine is generally not the best routine for natural trainers. A low volume routine can give just as good if not better results in terms of hypertrophy or strength.

    I'd stick to low volume and do ramped sets. You should grow off of that, (if your diet and rest are in check)

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    407
    Just spent over an hour looking for the damn article. Didn't find it, yet.

    Anyways, IF you could do both of the things you said...the 235x10, 250x10, 265x8, 275x6 OR 250x10, 250x10, 250x8, 250x6...then the pyramid sets would probably be better...however, it's more likely that you wouldnt be able to. And in that case, I'd definitely go with what deeder said - 240x10x4.

    It's about the average weight and the total weight lifted.
    Your two examples moved 8620 and 8500lbs respectively. Deeder's suggestion, however, moved 9600lbs.
    If I could find that damn article, I'd have a few more examples of stuff. Oh well.

  11. #10
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Just spent over an hour looking for the damn article. Didn't find it, yet.

    Anyways, IF you could do both of the things you said...the 235x10, 250x10, 265x8, 275x6 OR 250x10, 250x10, 250x8, 250x6...then the pyramid sets would probably be better...however, it's more likely that you wouldnt be able to. And in that case, I'd definitely go with what deeder said - 240x10x4.

    It's about the average weight and the total weight lifted.
    Your two examples moved 8620 and 8500lbs respectively. Deeder's suggestion, however, moved 9600lbs.
    If I could find that damn article, I'd have a few more examples of stuff. Oh well.
    What was the article about? And I mean you get more working volume with straight sets maybe but you get more intensity the other way around and probably faster progression.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-17-2008 at 01:51 AM.

  12. #11
    1000 or bust motoko013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    393
    i think he's saying that with 240x10 the load your muscles get is greater than if you ramped up...the more load you lift the better.

    Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

    Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

  13. #12
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    Well one problem I had with Deeder's suggestion is that you wouldn't be able to progress without losing some of the reps near the end of the last 2 sets even though it presents itself that way. Once you go up in weight you won't realistically be able to nail the reps for the last set or two. It would basically turn into the straight set scenario which I presented.

    I think part of the reason ramping has merit is because you can set a PR in the last set and then up the weight in the rest of the work sets, which causes you to progress faster and make better gains.
    Last edited by OGROK; 04-17-2008 at 08:25 AM.

  14. #13
    2008 World Champs! SMK41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Diego (PB)
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Just spent over an hour looking for the damn article. Didn't find it, yet.

    Anyways, IF you could do both of the things you said...the 235x10, 250x10, 265x8, 275x6 OR 250x10, 250x10, 250x8, 250x6...then the pyramid sets would probably be better...however, it's more likely that you wouldnt be able to. And in that case, I'd definitely go with what deeder said - 240x10x4.

    It's about the average weight and the total weight lifted.
    Your two examples moved 8620 and 8500lbs respectively. Deeder's suggestion, however, moved 9600lbs.
    If I could find that damn article, I'd have a few more examples of stuff. Oh well.
    I was under the impression that the total weight lifted isn't that important. For instance it's the same total weight if you do 135x10x3 as if you did 270x5x3, but obviously you are going to make better gains if you are putting up heavier weight. I remember reading some article that shows how much work you were doing and it involved not just weight x reps x sets but it also accounted for what percent of your 1RM that weight was.

    Typically what I do in my workouts is a small ramp of usually 5 lbs increments between sets. So maybe I'd bench something like 250x6 255x5 260x4 265x3. Then the next week I'd try 255x6 260x5 265x4 270x3. I feel like it helps me gradually increase the weight better than doing straight sets, but maybe it's just a mental thing.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Similar Threads

  1. rep test guide.
    By JSully in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 01:43 AM
  2. Routine for.....huge-ness
    By phatstauff27 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 08:13 PM
  3. bulk '04
    By heathj in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 07:28 PM
  4. "Bulk routines to choose" wich?
    By -=Jd=- in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 08:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •