Thread: Resisting the bands?

Resisting the bands?

I was playing around with the bands tonight on my light squats. I really don't do Dynamic Effort type workouts per say, I just do light workouts alternated with heavy ones. Anyway to get to the real point on all my sets I tried something that I had never tried before nor can I remember anyone talking anything about it and that is resisting or doing a slower(not super slow!)controlled negative while blasting up as hard as I could. This made it much more difficult than the way I have did the before by letting the band load me up pretty fast and getting a nice rebound out of the bands. Have any of you guys thats got alot of time in with the bands ever tried this? If so, was the outcome negative or positive? I know there is a bunch of quantam physics that goes along with the bands and all of it is of no interest to me. I just like to hear if anyone found this a go or no go. If noone has tried it I may give it a whirl a few weeks and see what comes of it.

Banned
    This is typically how I do my DE days. The negative is not necessarily slow though.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Well Jeff I'm sure it has its good and bads. As a BD im sure the added muscle strain is great for growth and releasing HGH into the body. Also loading up the band tension and going slow could better simulate the squat suit but my mindful that you risk injury from not be support from the suit. Speed is the main reason for using the bands. My advise is try it for 6 weeks and see where your ME sets are. You have to give anything at least 6 weeks. Thats just my opinion
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Eric,
    Yeah I am going to try it with my light day squats. I am going to keep the weights close to what I did last night and just focus on keeping the negative really controlled and blasting the hell out of the positive. I've never been in a squat suit so I wouldn't know anything about that. Like you said the bands are about speed and thats what I am going to focus on when I explode straight up.

Do that voodoo that he do
    That's the best way to do it when using bands for hypertrophy purposes.

When using them for speed work I like to use a fast (but controlled) eccentric to utilize the stretch reflex.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

you can easily overwork your joints and cns wiht bands if you use them TOO much..just cycle them out from time to time AND.. remember that the bands might be heavier at the top but your working weight is lighter at the bottom. Don't let that fool you into thinking your whole squat is getting much stronger via bands if that's all you use. STraight weight will squash your ass at the bottom if you do'nt keep it strong as the top end.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    you can easily overwork your joints and cns wiht bands if you use them TOO much..just cycle them out from time to time AND.. remember that the bands might be heavier at the top but your working weight is lighter at the bottom. Don't let that fool you into thinking your whole squat is getting much stronger via bands if that's all you use. STraight weight will squash your ass at the bottom if you do'nt keep it strong as the top end.
    Right. Thats why I will only use them on my light days. I learned this lesson way back.

Right, bands can be used as a form of accomdating resistance thus making a barbell a more effective tool in that the bands kick in when the barbell is tending to provide the least resistance and or when the body is in a stronger position thus making the load relatively lighter. In that way the bands are somewhat akin to a Nautilus cam.

I truly think bands should be incorporated into one's ME training with some frequency for the above reason. If you have a weak lockout on the dead (for example), incorporating bands into your heavy work can really make a difference.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris,
    I think that is an excellent point and on that I need to keep in the toolbox. Take for instance my deadlift from the floor and 5inch blocks are basically the same. I pulled 550 to the same height on both lifts and that right up to around knee level and I just stall. I think the bands would probably benefit me a bunch there. I've never did any rack pulls or pulling off the blocks(I believe I prefer pulling off the blocks)so just doing those may give me some great carryover by themselves. I can always add bands when I see they will fit into the equation.