Thread: Vitamin supplements may increase risk of death

Hybrid View

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

Vitamin supplements may increase risk of death

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Vitamin supplements may increase risk of death

Vitamin supplements taken by millions of people do not increase life expectancy and may raise the risk of a premature death , according to a review of 67 studies with more than 230,000 subjects.

The review, by the Cochrane Collaboration which regularly pools data from trials to evaluate drugs and treatments, found supplements vitamin A, vitamin E and beta-carotene are detrimental to health. In 47 trials with 180,938 people and a low risk of bias, the "antioxidant supplements significantly increased mortality", the authors wrote. When the antioxidants were assessed separately and low risk of bias trials were included and selenium excluded, vitamin A was linked to a 16% increased risk of dying, beta-carotene to a 7% increased risk and vitamin E to a 4% increased risk.

Evidence for vitamin C and selenium was more equivocal, suggesting there was no benefit to taking these pills compared with a placebo.

"The bottom line is current evidence does not support the use of antioxidant supplements in the general healthy population or in patients with certain diseases," said Goran Bjelakovic, who performed the review at Copenhagen Universityhospital in Denmark. "There was no indication that vitamin C and selenium may have positive or negative effects. So regarding these we need more data from randomised trials."

All the supplements are categorised as antioxidants; research has suggested these chemicals underlie some of the beneficial effects of eating fruit and vegetables because they soak up harmful byproducts of metabolism which can damage cells and cause aging.

While the evidence of a beneficial effect of a diet rich in fruit and veg is solid, the Cochrane data suggest antioxidant supplements are either useless or detrimental.

Bjelakovic's team evaluated 67 randomised clinical trials with 232,550 subjects; 21 of the trials were on healthy subjects, while the rest tested patients with a range of diseases. The evidence suggests it would be safer to obtain the chemicals not as supplements but by eating plenty of fruit and vegetables.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...edicalresearch

Once again, people in these trials are taking about six times the amount any sane person would take on a given day. Enjoy everything in moderation, pretty much the universal rule of life.

So will breathing our city air.

What can ya do. I guess we'll never truly know the effects of what we put in our bodies every day.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I'm glad you posted this article; I almost forgot to take my multi again!

Quad riding can result in serious injury, but 99% of the time just serious fun!

Who gives a ****? Cell phones will kill us. Beer will kill us. Creatine will kill us. Every-time you masturbate God kills a kitten! OH NOES!

We aren't meant to be living so damn long anyway. Enjoy life.

increase risk of death? is it just me or doesnt everyone die at some point? this study is awful.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    increase risk of death? is it just me or doesnt everyone die at some point? this study is awful.
    Word. This article has been posted here before. It reads like a 6th grader wrote it. I would love to know what these people died from.

Risk of death is probably the broadest statement ive ever heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

yeah right.....and pumps in the gym reduce your life span by 10%

wow.. thats crazy doubt they kill ya though

Banned
    I have to agree with all of you. They are most likely taking more than needed. I take two because im so underweight (one of the reasons im bodybuilding) and it looks like the people taking the suppliments in vast amounts concentrated on three vitamins, either of which is bad news

Increased risk of mortality? I'm no rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure we all die.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

So what you're saying is that taking my mutli will give me a 115% chance of death? Scary stuff gentlemen, very scary stuff.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

"increased risk of death"

ha ha ha

can't really get much higher than 100% risk.

I think...
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Hmm.
    Everything kills you; so pick your poison.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.