all 3 sets of 12's
    bench 225x3x12
    incline bb
    pec machine
    side lateral raises *2 sets of 20
    db seated press
    tri pushdowns
    tri kick backs.

felt great to get a pump again and to be done in 1 hour.

2-21-12

Some back and bi's.

Pulldowns 4x12
    chest supported rows 3x12
    low band rows 3x12
    shrugs 3x12
    alt db curls 3x12
    fat bar curls 3x12

another less than an hour workout.

Ryan, what's your training schedule like?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Ryan, what's your training schedule like?
    Friday- squat/ dl
    Sat/Sun - off
    Monday - bench/shoulder/tri
    Tuesday - back / biceps
    Wed/Thur - off

It fits my work schedule best.

From Powerlifter to Bodybuilder.

MRI confirms 3 bulging discs and 1 is herniated. T11-12, L4-5, L5-S1. So all the trouble I have been having with back pain and leg weakness stems from this. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow to see what the options are.

I did this back in OCT 2011 while training for the last meet I did JAN 2012. I've been having it treated by chiropractor for last 6months. I was trying to compete at this years Raw Unity Meet in Feb. As soon as he squat reached 470, I reinjured it. Any progress I made during those month were lost when I did that weight. Now I hurts to squat 235 and DL 225.

Thought about bench only, but tore my bicep back in August and that played with my bench. It seems almost fully healed now.

I've decided to do a bodybuilding show. I started adjusting training and food at the beginning of the month. I about 13 weeks out now and sitting at 212.

I'm going to try and document the progress. Gym has been doing well and my days are filled with appointments.

Good news?

Doctor says it's not ruptured, just torn. Offered epidural or facet joint injections. After weighing the options we both agreed it would be best to not get them.

Injections would only mask the pain, and IMO would maybe allow me to train heavy and really do more damage. I need to feel whats going on.

So, I just need light weight and time...perfect time for a bodybuilding show.

Focus is on all 6 meals and 4 days a week training.

Right now I'm using Nitrean 2x a day, ETS morning and night, BCAA preworkout, post workout and before bed, as soon as I get my next order I will add creatine to my BCAA drinks.

Bodyweight has been holding at 212.

Should be interesting to see how I end up looking 13 yrs after my last show. There is a picture from my last show in 2013 on one of my sponsors pages. http://www.rawhealthintl.com/ryan-celli.asp I was 166 lbs in that picture.

Started my first session of cardio today. 20 minutes on recumbent bike. I thought I was going to die. My knees are not liking me after that. I plan I doing 3 x 20 min sessions a week for the next 3 weeks and then I'll have to bump it up. Want to ease into it so knees don't get too pissed off. I walk the dog for 30min at least 2x a week also.

Wow... all this time and i never clued in you had a journal here. I really should pay more attention...

Got a question for ya.

I just read the entire journal, mainly the bench entries (i'm interested in raw benching), and i noticed that you never seem to go heavy at all on any ov your assistance stuff. I mean the accessory stuff like triceps, biceps, upper back stuff (DB arm stuff, rows, lat-pull, press-downs, curls, etc.). Any particular reason for this? Do you do them just to pump everything up after the big stuff? or to actually build a bit more size/strength?

We have very similar styles for raw benching; solid set-up, slow controlled descent (well, mine is slow), fast concentric, and actually your (raw) programming isn't all that different than mine either, i just tend to go extremely heavy on the assistance stuff... always looking for PR's etc. I'll go to war on DB extensions/press-downs/rows, etc.

Your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Judas; 02-07-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Wow... all this time and i never clued in you had a journal here. I really should pay more attention...

Got a question for ya.

I just read the entire journal, mainly the bench entries (i'm interested in raw benching), and i noticed that you never seem to go heavy at all on any ov your assistance stuff. I mean the accessory stuff like triceps, biceps, upper back stuff (DB arm stuff, rows, lat-pull, press-downs, curls, etc.). Any particular reason for this? Do you do them just to pump everything up after the big stuff? or to actually build a bit more size/strength?

We have very similar styles for raw benching; solid set-up, slow controlled descent (well, mine is slow), fast concentric, and actually your (raw) programming isn't all that different than mine either, i just tend to go extremely heavy on the assistance stuff... always looking for PR's etc. I'll go to war on DB extensions/press-downs/rows, etc.

Your thoughts on this?

Hey man,

Thanks for reading. I often wonder if anyone reads this. hahahaha. Maybe now that I'm posting more Chris will promote this better.

I really go by feel and actually bump up those assistance lifts closer to a meet. When powerlifting my goal is always to increase the 3 lifts. I Don't care much about the accessory stuff. I do it for bodybuilding purposes more or less.

IF I was entering an incline bench press meet, I guess I would focus on inclines and do them first and much heavier. I feel you can only get so strong on those assistance lifts. No need to set a pr on barbell curls if you know what I mean. Staying injury free is also a main goal.

Hello Ryan,
    good to see you posting on here!
    I was wondering what is your take on multifrequency training vs monofrequency?

I know you train each lift once per week, but why is that? Better recovery? Job obligations? Better longevity?
    Do you ever recommend multi-frequency training to other lifters/clients?

Thank you for your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Hello Ryan,
    good to see you posting on here!
    I was wondering what is your take on multifrequency training vs monofrequency?

I know you train each lift once per week, but why is that? Better recovery? Job obligations? Better longevity?
    Do you ever recommend multi-frequency training to other lifters/clients?

Thank you for your answer!
    I have to admit I never heard of multi frequency. I assume you mean training a lift for than once a week.
    I have lifted and competed for about 23yr now. My training is different now than it was then. Now my body requires the recovery time. I was doing a speed squat day until I had knee surgery. I liked that and had great results.
    My clients do best on 1 lift a week for strength.
    I've played with benching twice with clients and most do best once a week. Maybe it just how I train them and the amount of assistance work we do? Who knows.
    If your up in the air about it I suggest you try it. You may surprise yourself. If your lifts go down, drop back to once a week.

Knees are sore from damn bike.

20 minutes step mill.
    biceps and triceps

Steps about killed me too. Took everything I had to stay on the whole time.

Ryan,
    thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    I'm already training each lift more than once per week (usually 2 times/week each) but since joining here I've noticed that many of the best lifters on this forum tend towards the once-a-week philosophy, and I was thinking about giving it a go.

The reason I asked you is because you're lighter than the majority of the other big name lifters here, so probably your recommendations/methods would fall closer to home (I lift at 183 currently).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Ryan,
    thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    I'm already training each lift more than once per week (usually 2 times/week each) but since joining here I've noticed that many of the best lifters on this forum tend towards the once-a-week philosophy, and I was thinking about giving it a go.

The reason I asked you is because you're lighter than the majority of the other big name lifters here, so probably your recommendations/methods would fall closer to home (I lift at 183 currently).
    Your welcome.

Yeah man, It all depends on so many factors, age, intensity, sleep, food, strength level, volume... all these factors come into play.

I suggested earlier, to maybe change it up and change it to once weekly lifts, but If your making gains in your current routine, I'd say don't change it. Worst case, you build a solid foundation from all the work your putting in. Once you've remained stagnate for a while (6 months) maybe change it up then?

Let me know what you decide, and how things progress.

Leg day. I have to pre exhaust legs before squatting, too keep the weight 235 and under. I'm going to attempt to keep my leg size without going heavy for the next 12 weeks.
    belts squats, gh superset with leg ext, ssb sq super set with leg press, calfs and abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    Hey man,

Thanks for reading. I often wonder if anyone reads this. hahahaha. Maybe now that I'm posting more Chris will promote this better.

I really go by feel and actually bump up those assistance lifts closer to a meet. When powerlifting my goal is always to increase the 3 lifts. I Don't care much about the accessory stuff. I do it for bodybuilding purposes more or less.

IF I was entering an incline bench press meet, I guess I would focus on inclines and do them first and much heavier. I feel you can only get so strong on those assistance lifts. No need to set a pr on barbell curls if you know what I mean. Staying injury free is also a main goal.
    I guess what i was asking was that at your level, or even say when you were still benching around 450 max, do you think that really pushing the limits and weights up on these lighter assistance exercises (again, the isolation stuff, maybe rows/machines) will build your ultimate bench 1RM faster? or do you think you'd make slower progress?

I guess the proof is really in the numbers... and you have world records. I see many other high level benchers doing very light numbers on the assistance stuff too (MUCH stronger benchers than me doing MUCH lighter assistance than i do). Personally... i go extremely heavy on them, it's worked for me, but maybe backing off the savagery AFTER the big lifts are done i'd progress faster...???
    Last edited by Judas; 02-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

I guess what i was asking was that at your level, or even say when you were still benching around 450 max, do you think that really pushing the limits and weights up on these lighter assistance exercises (again, the isolation stuff, maybe rows/machines) will build your ultimate bench 1RM faster? or do you think you'd make slower progress?

I guess the proof is really in the numbers... and you have world records. I see many other high level benchers doing very light numbers on the assistance stuff too (MUCH stronger benchers than me doing MUCH lighter assistance than i do). Personally... i go extremely heavy on them, it's worked for me, but maybe backing off the savagery AFTER the big lifts are done i'd progress faster...???
    I replied to this! But it disappeared. Let me try again.

I believe If I would try to set pr's on assistant stuff It would only be a matter of time before I got badly injured. JMO. No way I could be flat benching over 500 and going near max on assistant lifts. I do usually ramp up some of those weights maybe the last 6 weeks before a meet.

You also have to remember I've been lifting for over 24 years.... I have built a good base and consistently gone heavy on every lift at one time or another. Once you reach certain numbers I believe things change as far as what your asking.

40min cardio walking dog. about 2.2 miles.
    Also did z-health joint mobility dvd for back rehab.
    Tanning bed for 25min
    food prep for most of the week.

I replied to this! But it disappeared. Let me try again.

I believe If I would try to set pr's on assistant stuff It would only be a matter of time before I got badly injured. JMO. No way I could be flat benching over 500 and going near max on assistant lifts. I do usually ramp up some of those weights maybe the last 6 weeks before a meet.

You also have to remember I've been lifting for over 24 years.... I have built a good base and consistently gone heavy on every lift at one time or another. Once you reach certain numbers I believe things change as far as what your asking.
    Yeah... well i knew you'd been lifting for a long time... but 24 years? Wow. I suppose you've been through pretty much everything in that time. I only ask because you are a high level lifter... i do well on bench, but i'm still only around double bodyweight at 230lbs. Maybe its time to start backing off the less important stuff and maybe even the bigger stuff to some extent. I've only been lifting for 8 1/2 years. I mean, do i really need 20" arms to bench 500...??? (well, maybe... i do have really long arms... haha)

Thanks.

Yeah... well i knew you'd been lifting for a long time... but 24 years? Wow. I suppose you've been through pretty much everything in that time. I only ask because you are a high level lifter... i do well on bench, but i'm still only around double bodyweight at 230lbs. Maybe its time to start backing off the less important stuff and maybe even the bigger stuff to some extent. I've only been lifting for 8 1/2 years. I mean, do i really need 20" arms to bench 500...??? (well, maybe... i do have really long arms... haha)

Thanks.
    You missed the point. You do need big arms for a big bench. Can you name any big bencher that doesn't have big arms? The point is I don't think you have to max out on barbell curls. There is a difference.

Really looking forward to seeing you get ready for the bodybuildng show!!
    Last edited by muscle_g; 02-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Snowed in and took a look through your journal thinking, "solid numbers for a 220/242" then I come to find you compete at 198. Awesome strength man, especially the pressing.

You missed the point. You do need big arms for a big bench. Can you name any big bencher that doesn't have big arms? The point is I don't think you have to max out on barbell curls. There is a difference.
    Haha, well that kinda was my point. I already have pretty big arms, and currently i am maxing the shit out ov my assistance lifts. That was the back off i was talking about. I'm gonna try that for this 4-month program into Nationals and see what difference it makes. Definitely works for you.