The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Actually I'd really like to train with both of you guys. It'd be freakin sweet.

haha I did have to dig a little to find that video. If I go 3brd anymore it'd be 900+ which is more than I really need to have in my hands right now.

I'd hazard a guess though that you could come pretty dang close to or beat my 3brd raw. I'm talking to Ryan, Rob, I know you could hahaha!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

lol ok me and Wolfe will keep having some fun then
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Sorry

Wow, I've been busy lately.

Trainings been going well, and I just finished up the last of my heavy training sessions. Today is my last training day. Some speed work that's all.

Here's a quick recap of last weeks top working sets.

Monday June 16.
    Squat
    600 x1
    675 x 1
    775 reverse bands x 1

Wednesday June 18.
    Bench
    565 x 1 touch full range
    635 x 1 reverse bands
    650 x 1 reverse bands

Friday June 20.
    Speed Deadlift
    225 x 6sets of 3 with 6 sets of chain.

Leaving for Nationals

Well, my training is all finished, I finished up on Monday with my usual speed work on the squat and bench. I'm pretty happy with the way my training went. My training routine was very similar to the way I trained for the American cup in Feb. and my training poundages where all higher this time around.

The only thing that could have gone better is I would have gotten my new custom gear I ordered about 6 weeks ago? I've been switching my squat gear between a stock Hardcore and stock Centurion, I'm not sure which works better for me. I just don't get a ton out of either one. I'll make due with what I have.
    I'd like to beat my best total of 1962 and set the American bench record (584)even higher. I leave Thursday and return Monday.

I hope to have some pictures and video when I get back.

Sick workout Ryan as usual
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Good luck man!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

USPF Nationals Results

I arrived to RI late Thursday. I was weighing about 211 Thursday morning. On Friday morning I was down to about 207.5 and cut water and carbs. I weighed in Sat morning at 6:30am at 197.5 and by 11:30pm I was back up to 212 and weighed the same Sunday morning. Things couldn't have went better as far as the weight. I weighed right were I wanted and was back to exactly what I wanted to be later that night.

My plans were to total 2000+ and break my American bench record of 584 at 198.

I lifted Sunday and kept hearing horror stories of the absurdly strict judging done on Saturday. I just planned on doing what I planned on doing and adapting to the strict rules and super deep squats they wanted.

I opened with 661 on the Squat, super easy. I Then went to 700 and got red lighted for depth and not locking out my hips at the finish??? I had the rack signal so I thought I was good. And it was well below parallel. I took the attempt over again and sank it deeper and locked it out for a good attempt.
    I wanted to be over 7 but was just happy I got 7 with the way they were judging.

benches went great, 561 opener for a World record. 2nd attempt was 600.7 for A new American record and World record. I took 622.7 on the third and got that too. These were done with 3 commands due to the world rules. start, press and rack. Everyone wanted me to take a 4th but I saved it for the deadlifts as I was starting to cramp, forearms and quads.

Deadlifts, 644 opener super easy, 2nd 677.7 which gave me my 2000 total. then missed 710! AGAIN! just to right above my knees.

I just totaled 2000. @ 198. This was also a new World record Total, I think the old one was 1775?

sq 699.7
    bn 622.7
    dl 677.7
    total 2000.1

video and pics to follow soon.

Banned
    Good to hear your meet went well. Mine...not so much haha. That's an awesome total and some incredible lifting.

yeah I'd pretty much say you trashed your old bench record. Great stuff Ryan, look forward to the videos

Awesome stuff Ryan. So Powerlifting watch has a post of Dennis Cieri benching 595 at 198, don't get me wrong that is really good, but let's talk about your 622, now that's some impressive lifting bro. See ya at the gym.

Hey man, I heard about how your meet went. Congrats on the total. That is some awesome lifting!

world / american record bench

not the best angle, but the head judge told my lift off guy to stay close?

Video

Congrats on your USPF records Ryan!

Nice bench man!! That was a looong pause haha and you still had great speed off your chest

long pause

that was a loooong pause!

All world records had to be done with a press command. START, PRESS, RACK

All regular bench presses and american records the lifter does his own pause. so, you just have START, RACK.

the more I watch the 622 video, I honestly believe the head judge forgot it was a world record and forgot he had to call the press command.

With the different rules I could see how easy it would be for the head judge to forget what the commands would be.

it's all good I got the lift!

7-9-08 wed

first day back benching after Nationals.

135 x12
    135x 8
    225 x 5
    225x 5
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    275 x 3

kb presses alternating arms
    12k x 8
    16k x 8
    20k x 8

reverse grip pushdowns
    50 x 10
    60 x 10
    70 x 10

Wannabebig Member
    I wish i had your strength. Sick training!!!

Great vids Ryan! You smoked those lifts!

Chris

Accept No Substitutes LynxFaceKilla's Avatar
    This is the first time I have seen your 622 bench video. Wow! Again, awesome job!

I'm behind!

I got behind on my journal. A few new things going on.

Ever since nationals my ribs and Rt knee have been giving me some trouble. This is why I am just benching at the New Martinsville meet. Xrays show I have 3 ribs pulled on the right side. I'm pretty sure it was from the rock bottom squats required at nationals. Some rest, chiro and massage therapy and I should be fine, it really only bothers me sleeping, coughing, and sneezing.

I also injured my right knee there. While warming up for the squats I was stretching and my knee cracked violently.LOL that's the best way to describe it. I did the meet with little to no discomfort. But ever since then it has been bothering me off and on. I deadlifted great 2 weeks ago, but haven't been able to do much since then. I finally made it to the orthopedic Tuesday, he gave me cortizone, and script for an MRI which is scheduled for Thursday. He thinks something maybe torn, he couldnt tell for sure but said the joint was pretty loose feeling.

So, my squats have been horrible and deads hit and miss. Bench seems to be going good.

here are some of my last bench works out to catch me back up.

7-16-08
    original f6 2 board
    405x1 455x1 495x1 545x3 575x3 600x1

7-23-08
    original f6 pinkie on ring 2 board
    500x1 565x2 600x2

7-30-08
    original f6
    3 board 455x3
    2 board 525x2 585x2 felt heavy!

8-6-08
    f6 super nxg plus
    2 board 495x1 575x1 620x2
    4 board 660x1

8-13-08
    f6 super nxg plus
    2 board 495x1 575x1
    full range 606x1 got it but was out of wack.
    full range 606x1 much better widened grip one finger.
    2 board reverse band 660x1 680x1

that finishes up my bench training till meet day.

Ryan, hope you get some good news with the knee. Great videos! -Carl D
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

USPF RESULTS/knee update

I posted a video of my bench in the video section. I broke the220lb single lift american bench record aug 23. it was 633 and I did 639.2.

I also deadlifted last minute, 606,661 and missed 711 again. My knee held up and I didn't have any pain.

Turns out the MRI came back Friday. They told me there are some bone fragments in the joint. I don't know much more than that as they want me to talk to the doctor to see what he wants to do. This makes sense now because it hurts on and off.

I squatted for the first time in about 2+ weeks yesterday. I went up to 325 for 8 on a 13" box with no problem. 375 I couldn't start down from the pain. .....I seem to be able to leg press though. so, there are things I can do till i get this fixed which I'm happy about.

Hopefully this won''t hold me up too long, as I need to get ready for the RAW unity meet in Jan.

Wannabebig Member
    Great training brother. I am really enjoying both you and Travis'. Good fun competition between friends is good (and funny).