The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cheating Once Per Week

As many know or say they know...eating a strict diet 6 days per week and then cheating on the 7th, supposedly speeds up your metabolism. Does anyone have any studies on this? I always like to back up my information with studies and the like, plus showing studies to my ignorant parents helps all the more. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

do a search on mfw. Lyle or Elzi might have posted one.

Par might know - check out his site.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Re: Cheating Once Per Week

Originally posted by heathj
    As many know or say they know...eating a strict diet 6 days per week and then cheating on the 7th, supposedly speeds up your metabolism. Does anyone have any studies on this? I always like to back up my information with studies and the like, plus showing studies to my ignorant parents helps all the more. Thanks
    Read my articles on leptin -- there are probably 150 references:

http://www.avantlabs.com/big_mfr/big_mfr_magazine.htm

Issues 3, 4, and 5
    ParDeus

Gracias.

If I used, let's say a party day for my cheat day, and I drank alcohol there, would this be worse then just eating regular food....equal to the amount of calories of alcohol plus other food I consume or would this be way worse? What am I saying is..would there be a difference in having a cheat day of alcohol + food or just lots of food?

Yes.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by heathj
    If I used, let's say a party day for my cheat day, and I drank alcohol there, would this be worse then just eating regular food....equal to the amount of calories of alcohol plus other food I consume or would this be way worse? What am I saying is..would there be a difference in having a cheat day of alcohol + food or just lots of food?
    Par also has some articles on the hormonal effects of alcohol at Big Motherf*cker. So, it does make a difference--at least if you're drinking excessively(I'm assuming this to be the case.)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If youre body is so use to digesting the "perfect" foods you should be eating, that when a cheat meal comes around once in a great while, it will not know how to handle it and you will gain more fat than you should. However, if you periodically throw cheat meals in, your body will not be as negatively shocked by the grub (think of it as practice).

LOL !!! Practice, you crack my ass up

So if my goal is to lose body fat, then i should have a cheat day once per week? Containing of anything? Or just higher calories of clean food? *prob should have asked this after I read the articles*
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    You need to eat grease and candy on this cheat meal, homes. Kit Kats, buckets of cheese, yards of sushi, and gallons of delicious Sierra Nevada unfiltered wheat beer.

Sweet sweet nectar...

I went for a period of about 9 weeks in 2000 where I didnt eat any junk food at all. Period. I ate some candy on Halloween and I felt like trash. I got all bloated for about 3 days, and my energy was completely sapped. Now if I'd just had a few cheat meals in those 9 weeks I'd still have my sanity.

And my girlfriend, that superficial whore.

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Par also has some articles on the hormonal effects of alcohol at Big Motherf*cker. So, it does make a difference--at least if you're drinking excessively(I'm assuming this to be the case.)

Also, alcohol does not provide substrates for the hexosamine pathway, which is what signals leptin, so the calories are sort of wasted.
    ParDeus

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I've said it before and ill say it again, I think, that cheat meal=carb load, so it really does make sense it makes you lose weight. Think about whats in your cheat meals, and it will dawn on you. U should just carb load with some wheat pasta or something, im serious, it will most likely be the same.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."