The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Still trying to find a routine.

So after getting a well deserved small flaming session on my last routine post I decided to look into routines people have recommended on here. I like the DeFranco Skinny basterds workout and I know what everyone is going to say when they look at it..."Why two upperbody days and only on lower body day". Anyway it gives you multiple exercises to pick from for each body part and this is the selection I made.

Monday:
    -Weighted Dips--Max set x 5 reps
    -Flat Dumbbell Bench Press--4x8
    -Seated Cable Rows 4x12
    -Standing Face Pulls 3x12
    -Decline Weighted Sit-Ups 4x15

Wednesday:
    -Leg Press (Due to lack of equipment at my gyn)
    -Walking Lunges 3x8 (Sets actually are 16 reps of 8 each leg)
    -Leg Curls 4x8
    -Heavy Dumbbell Holds 3x25 seconds

Friday:
    -Push-Ups 3 x max reps
    -Rope Pressdown or Skull Crushers 4x8
    -Weighted Pull-Ups 4x8
    -Dumbbell Shoulder Press (Seated) 3x10
    -Alternate Dumbbell Curls or Preacher Curls 3x10
    -Ab Circuit (Ab Maching, Hanging Leg Raises, Medicine Ball Russian Twist)

Questions:
    -Should I add another Leg day and do Upperbody Monday and Friday and Lower Body Tuesday Thursday?
    -I would like to switch my dumbbell bench press between flat, incline, and decline...How often should I switch or should I now switch?
    -On the seated cable rows I am going to switch bars, how often should I or should I not switch?
    -On the dumbbell holds how long should I hold each set for, I have 25 seconds is that too much or too little?
    -How often could I switch between alternate curls and preacher curls or should I not?
    -I am currently doing skull crushers with the wbb1.1 so I decided to do rope pushdowns but I would like to switch back to skull crushers sometime would that be alright?

I know my questions are very similar and deal with switching exercises but I researched it and I could not find how long to stick with a certain exercise or anything of the sort. I appreciate all the help and just so you all know this is a premade routine that people on this site have recommended.
    Last edited by SteveW; 04-22-2008 at 09:54 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you're not going to squat you might as well not even bother to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    If you're not going to squat you might as well not even bother to train.
    You're so awesome. Nice work man. You sure told him.

Now he'll probably squat because you sound so badass right now.

Can you tell I am making fun of you?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    So after getting a well deserved small flaming session on my last routine post I decided to look into routines people have recommended on here. I like the DeFranco Skinny basterds workout and I know what everyone is going to say when they look at it..."Why two upperbody days and only on lower body day". Anyway it gives you multiple exercises to pick from for each body part and this is the selection I made.

Monday:
    -Seated Cable Rows 4x12

Wednesday:
    -Leg Curls 4x8

Friday:
    -Push-Ups 3 x max reps
    -Weighted Pull-Ups 4x8

Questions:
    1. -Should I add another Leg day and do Upperbody Monday and Friday and Lower Body Tuesday Thursday?
    2. -I would like to switch my dumbbell bench press between flat, incline, and decline...How often should I switch or should I now switch?
    3. -On the seated cable rows I am going to switch bars, how often should I or should I not switch?
    4. -On the dumbbell holds how long should I hold each set for, I have 25 seconds is that too much or too little?
    5. -How often could I switch between alternate curls and preacher curls or should I not?
    6. -I am currently doing skull crushers with the wbb1.1 so I decided to do rope pushdowns but I would like to switch back to skull crushers sometime would that be alright?

I know my questions are very similar and deal with switching exercises but I researched it and I could not find how long to stick with a certain exercise or anything of the sort. I appreciate all the help and just so you all know this is a premade routine that people on this site have recommended.
    Kastro is right, even though he answered in a stupid way, you need to squat, or deadlift or find some way to do any of the exercises DeFranco suggests:
    Trap bar deadlift
    Box squats
    Rack pulls (partial deadlift)
    Front squats
    High bar Olympic squats
    Straight bar deadlifts (various grips)

I numbered your questions...
    1. If you were going to do another lower body day I'd go Monday - Upper, Tuesday - Lower, Thursday - Upper, Friday - lower. Read the article again, DeFranco's major reason for not having 2 lower body days is that it is designed mostly for athletes who would probably be doing lots of running and plyometrics with their sports and so would not recover from 2 lower body days a week.

2. You could rotate so that you're doing a different one each week or you could do each for 2 or 3 weeks at a time before going to the next variation.

3. See answer for #2.

4. As long as you can. Pick a weight that you can ONLY hold for 25 seconds if that's what you want to do. Once you can do 3 sets of 25 seconds without dropping the weights early then add more weight.

5. See #2, also, it doesn't really matter what kind of curls you do. Whatever you prefer.

6. Yup, that's fine.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Monday:
    -Seated Cable Rows 4x12

Wednesday:
    -Leg Curls 4x8

Friday:
    -Push-Ups 3 x max reps
    -Weighted Pull-Ups 4x8

Questions:
    -Should I add another Leg day and do Upperbody Monday and Friday and Lower Body Tuesday Thursday?
    -I would like to switch my dumbbell bench press between flat, incline, and decline...How often should I switch or should I now switch?
    -On the seated cable rows I am going to switch bars, how often should I or should I not switch?
    -On the dumbbell holds how long should I hold each set for, I have 25 seconds is that too much or too little?
    -How often could I switch between alternate curls and preacher curls or should I not?
    -I am currently doing skull crushers with the wbb1.1 so I decided to do rope pushdowns but I would like to switch back to skull crushers sometime would that be alright?

A couple of other great leg exercises you can do with just DB's would be step-ups, goblet squats, one-legged squats. You don't need a barbell to work your legs hard.

1. Your choice
    2. Doesn't really matter. But every 3-4 weeks is fine.
    3. Same as #2. You don't really need to worry about this unless you stop making progress. Every workout, or every 3-4 weeks is are both fine.
    4. Depends on how heavy the DB's are. If they are heavy you will be able to hold them for less time, if they are lighter you can hold them for longer.
    5. Same as #2/#3 it doesn't matter, every workout or every couple of weeks. Whatever you want.
    6. Yes

I appreciate the help guys. The reasons I don't have any deadlifts or squats is because as bad as it sucks my gym has hardly any free weights beyond dumbbells and barbells. The barbell only goes to 110 at the gym I go to (only reason I go is because its 24/7 and with my schedule I often have to do workouts pretty late at night). Any suggestions besides finding a new gym?

1. I agree with Deeder
    2. D'oh...I again agree with Deeder
    3. Same
    4. If you can't hold the biggest DBs your gym has for 25s, it probably wont be long before you can. Then you can either go for max holding time or you can do other, similar things. You could hang from a pullup bar for as long as you can. Or do a double-overhand deadlift/rackpull and add enough weight that you can only hold it for ~25s or so. (So, not that I disagree with Deeder, but felt I had something to add).
    5. Yeah, why not?

Thanks for the input, I will just have to do trial and error with the dumbbell holds and such. Any idea on how to incorporate deadlifts or squats with the equipment my gym has?

So they don't have any barbells that you can just load weight on to?
    Full Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You're so awesome. Nice work man. You sure told him.

Now he'll probably squat because you sound so badass right now.

Can you tell I am making fun of you?
    I see hundreds of these posts per day on various websites, and haven't the interest in correcting them all. I merely hope that someone will pick up where I left off, as you clearly did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I see hundreds of these posts per day on various websites, and haven't the interest in correcting them all. I merely hope that someone will pick up where I left off, as you clearly did.
    Why post at all?
    Overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    So they don't have any barbells that you can just load weight on to?
    Nope. For the Wbb1.1 I was able to go to my schools gym on days when I needed to but I don't think that option will be available to me this summer. With gas prices and being a college student I don't have the money to drive across town to a better gym. My gym is within 2 minutes of walking distance so basically I am stuck with it no matter what for now. Any thoughts or am I SOL on this one?

I tried this for awhile. . . my gains were less than impressive. I would recommend this:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

or the very similar starting strength, but since you don't want to use barbells I don't know what to tell you. I think using one of these routines with the leg press and dumb bells would still give faster results. how big are the dumb bells in this gym anyway? If they don't have any setups for squats i'm guessing the dumb bells are 50 lbs or less?

Dumbbells go up to 110 lbs. Its not that I dont want to use barbells its the fact they dont have any above 110 lbs either which is not enough for some of the lifts.

Don't worry about the squats, Stepups, lunges and goblet squats are more than enough to give you a solid leg workout. Also, DB cleans/snatches are great.
    Last edited by Bupp; 04-23-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Nope. For the Wbb1.1 I was able to go to my schools gym on days when I needed to but I don't think that option will be available to me this summer. With gas prices and being a college student I don't have the money to drive across town to a better gym. My gym is within 2 minutes of walking distance so basically I am stuck with it no matter what for now. Any thoughts or am I SOL on this one?
    It's getting nice out. Ride a bike or roller blade.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.