The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

drinking and lifting

i no drinking and lifting dont mix, but is there a way around this? like staying extemly hydrated while your drinking. if not how often can you drink with out big effects in the gym. when i say drinking i'm talkin getting hammered

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you get drunk just drink a lot of water before bed and you'll be fine. I've had some good lifts the morning after.

Wannabebig Member
    i'm not talking bout the morning after, i lift normal with a hang over but doesnt alcohal dihydrate your muscles making it harder to make them grow?

Quote Originally Posted by jblair420 View Post
    i'm not talking bout the morning after, i lift normal with a hang over but doesnt alcohal dihydrate your muscles making it harder to make them grow?
    Yup. I believe I've read somewhere that alcohol actually inhibits protein synthesis.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

deeder is right, but im not so sure about the protein thing, ive heard the EXACT same thing about mary jane, but i dont believe either.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Quote Originally Posted by youngguns View Post
    deeder is right, but im not so sure about the protein thing, ive heard the EXACT same thing about mary jane, but i dont believe either.
    ...why? I love how people choose what to believe based on how it affects them, not on science.

I don't know about weed, but it is fact that large amounts of alcohol inhibit protein synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    ...why? I love how people choose what to believe based on how it affects them, not on science.

I don't know about weed, but it is fact that large amounts of alcohol inhibit protein synthesis.
    are you trying to defend lifting weights while having alcohol in your system? if you can't go without an hour drinking, then you don't belong around weights. you're asking for an injury.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

You can get drunk occasionally and still make long and short term gains (in strength, I'm not sure about hypertrophy), just probably not as good gains as without boozing.

I love how people choose what to believe based on how it affects them, not on science.
    Experiments trump theory. That's how science works.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    are you trying to defend lifting weights while having alcohol in your system?
    Not at all. Reread my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Klotz View Post
    Experiments trump theory. That's how science works.
    I meant more like "I like drinking alcohol and smoking weed, therefore I don't believe it is bad for you."

it is fact that large amounts of alcohol inhibit protein synthesis.
    Very true.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 04-20-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm an alcoholic, so I can't stop drinking. But I am OK with this fact. I still lift though and see gains.

best advice..don't do it... i drank a couple times a week this past month..and i'm talking DRANK.. and not only did i lose 15lbs but my lifts int he gym suffered.

if you like to drink.. but love lifting more...drink in moderation. Not to mention a ****load of alcohol in your system won't be helping your body recover. IT's poison... it will be DETREMENTAL.

makes those fat chicks not so bad looking though huh?! HA
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I don't quite understand why you would want to drink the night before a big workout. If your priorities are to drink, smoke and have a good time the night before a heavy workout, don't expect much from your system the next day. It's just not gonna happen if you aren't prepared. If your priorities are to increase your strength, I'd lose the bottle and the bong the night before and save it for another time. I REALLY don't understand people that lift high either...that's just about the stupidest thing I think you could do.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

i love how people jump to conclusions.... i dont drink or smoke, i just havent read any science journals about alcohol-related protein inhibiters, and i dont buy into anti-drug/alcohol propaganda.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Just lift heavy during the week and get hammered on the weekends. Just make sure you drink enough water and keep eating on the weekends though. I was using a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday split and drinking pretty heavily on the weekends for a while and saw pretty good gains. Just make sure to grub down before you go to sleep on fri and sat night. Sometimes when I start drinking at like 9 and drink till 4-5 am I'm so full of beer/liquor you don't feel like eating. Gotta do it though. Now that summers back I can find much better things to do at night on the weekends then chill inside bars though.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    I drank between 3 and 7 beers every night for the last several years. I started weight lifting just 6 weeks ago and wanted to see what would happen if I quit drinking too. Wow, what a difference. I've lost a bunch of belly fat while making some nice muscle gains. The cool thing is, it's like dieting without having to cut back on food.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Matrix View Post
    I'm an alcoholic, so I can't stop drinking.
    Yes you can:

A.A.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I'm glas this topic came up actually. I haven't seen a boozing and lifting post in 3.6951 days. Whew!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Yes you can:

A.A.
    several studies have been done that show people who go through AA are no more likely to stop drinking then quitting cold turkey. that and its a pseudo cult

to the OP, really think about the question and you'll come up with the answer yourself

I'm really not sure there is anything that is ever done better while drunk or even buzzed but I'm sure someone will come up with at least one thing

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by youngguns View Post
    i just havent read any science journals about alcohol-related protein inhibiters
    Have you looked?

There are many.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    Have you looked?

There are many.
    no, i havnt, im sure theres plenty of stuff out there, i just havent taken the time to look into, that and its kinda hard identifying whats bull**** and whats not.... so i usually just go to BB.com and read up on what they all say over there and take it as gospal.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Just drink, ****. Do you know how many huge/ripped guys I see at the clubs/parties drinking obscene amounts of alcohol?
    None of you are going to go pro, so you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy life.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Are we talking about drinking at the same time as lifting, or just getting drunk during a given lifting cycle?
    When I first started lifting, on our Fri workout my partner and I would go through 1/2 a bottle of tequila. Afterwards we would spar until blood was spilled. After the newbie gains stopped all progress came to a grinding halt until we stopped that dumba** s**t.
    As for muscle, getting DRUNK is never a GOOD idea for many obvious reasons: dehydration, lack of nutrition, lack of sleep, etc.
    But if your young and can still make progress, do as you please.
    The older a person gets though, more of an effort must be applied to recuperation. Optimize it now and you'll only get BIGGER gains from your efforts. And you might not have to worry about getting rid of a belly later on like some of us have to WORK at, ahem. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe