Thread: It is almost the end of the year...

It is almost the end of the year...

Hi everyone,

It's the time of year we all tend to reflect on our accomplishments and results over the past 12 months, and compare them to the goals we set for ourselves at the beginning of the year.

Everyone does this, but lifters do it not only for our personal and professional lives, but our gym pursuits as well.

So how did you do?

Did you have written goals to begin with? Was that document alive during the past year?

Are you happier in your personal life than you were a year ago?

Did you move in the right direction in your chosen profession? Did you do well in that class?

Did you do all the right things?

Did you work hard to reach the additional goals we set for ourselves? Did you add that inch to your arms? Did you compete in that contest? Did you squat that magic number that will make all the work over the past year worth it?

Spend some time reflecting on these things. Be honest with yourself about your success, and about the reasons for your success. Find the opportunities for next year.

Then... forget it.

Start putting together that plan for next year. Set your goals, and WRITE THEM DOWN. We all have computers, set up a file or a folder for your goals - all of them - and document what they are, and what you have to do to reach them. I've got one, in my personal folder on my work laptop. I document what I want to do in my personal life next year. I want to improve my relationships with my two oldest, best friends. We've drifted apart over the last couple of years, and I'm going to fix that. My wife and I need to do some financial planning for our future, so one of my goals is to set up a personal investing account (e-trade) and put some money in there and start trading.

Refer to your plan on a regular basis, and stick to it. Remember it is a living document, and change it as you need. You might find a new love in March that will change your priorites. You might get a dog that pees on the carpet, and you need to make the time to train the damn thing. But stick with documenting your plans and your progress.

Since we are all lifters, we've got part of this process in common... and the shared passion we have for physical culture makes this a perfect forum to present our goals and plans for review, critique, criticizm, and support.

So what are you going to do next year?

What's your plan?

You don't have to do it today - I'd rather you didn't. Just take the time over the next few weeks to do some reflecting, goal setting and planning... and use your peer group to help you achieve everything you wish.

General, specific - the method is up to you... but do it.

Want tips?

Ask.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bump.

Well, how are we doing?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

fine thank you!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Good.

Decided to quit cutting for a while and add some mass back. I'm enjoying the bulk phase too. Maybe a little too much, damn chocolate haha...

Strength is sky high and ever growing (just read my journal to note the difference). More than half of my monthly goals were met last month and i'm close to meeting a few already this month.

Weight is right up. Bit of fat too, but like i say, i'm enjoying the bulk

I have another 8-11 weeks of bulking left before i go back to cutting. I have already got a good idea of this cutting strategy also. Semi-looking forward to it too

All good on the Robboe front.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Re: It is almost the end of the year...

Originally posted by Paul Stagg

So how did you do?

**Pretty damn good, made some good gains..

Did you have written goals to begin with? Was that document alive during the past year?

**no written goals, but did have certain places to be, they were reached for the most part.

Are you happier in your personal life than you were a year ago?

**eh..

Did you move in the right direction in your chosen profession? Did you do well in that class?

**HELL YES..

Did you do all the right things?

**um.... read the two little words underneath the name..

Did you work hard to reach the additional goals we set for ourselves? Did you add that inch to your arms? Did you compete in that contest? Did you squat that magic number that will make all the work over the past year worth it?

**yes, i dunno never measured, no, no.

Spend some time reflecting on these things. Be honest with yourself about your success, and about the reasons for your success. Find the opportunities for next year.

Then... forget it.

Start putting together that plan for next year. Set your goals, and WRITE THEM DOWN. We all have computers, set up a file or a folder for your goals - all of them - and document what they are, and what you have to do to reach them. I've got one, in my personal folder on my work laptop. I document what I want to do in my personal life next year. I want to improve my relationships with my two oldest, best friends. We've drifted apart over the last couple of years, and I'm going to fix that. My wife and I need to do some financial planning for our future, so one of my goals is to set up a personal investing account (e-trade) and put some money in there and start trading.

Refer to your plan on a regular basis, and stick to it. Remember it is a living document, and change it as you need. You might find a new love in March that will change your priorites. You might get a dog that pees on the carpet, and you need to make the time to train the damn thing. But stick with documenting your plans and your progress.

Since we are all lifters, we've got part of this process in common... and the shared passion we have for physical culture makes this a perfect forum to present our goals and plans for review, critique, criticizm, and support.

So what are you going to do next year?

What's your plan?

You don't have to do it today - I'd rather you didn't. Just take the time over the next few weeks to do some reflecting, goal setting and planning... and use your peer group to help you achieve everything you wish.

General, specific - the method is up to you... but do it.

Want tips?

**sure..

Ask.

Wannabebig Member
    I am currently about to start a mass program. I was hoping I would not have to ever do this again(food bill!!!!). I had made it up to 180 recently(from a starting weight of 130 senior year of high school I am now 28) but between my basketball league, australian rules football, and alot of surfing I have now dipped down to 165. My damm ectomorph genes just don't make it easy on me, any cardio turns me into a marathon looking man(not good).
    I still have 2-3 months of basketball depending how far the team advances and about the same for aussie football.

So my situation is to find a routine that will start putting muscle back on while not taking too much from my recovery system. I am torn at this time between a 2 day a week breathing squat routine or a 3 day split concentraing on bench, deadlift, and squat on different days adding in a few accesory lifts but keeping total sets low each day.

I am not good at making decisions so any input would be appreciated.

Jack:

I too am an activity freak.

I Mt. Bike weekly for 10 - 15 miles, run 2 x weekly for anywhere between 2 - 3 miles in the South-Western Desert (America) play tennis for a couple of hours each weekend and still do cardio in the gym a couple of times p/week as well.

I'm primarily ectomorphic w/meso. tendencies and use the following routine to keep the GOOD pounds on.

3 x weekly (chest,tri's,shoulders - back, bi's - legs) workouts, 2 sets p/group, high intensity (1 rep. shy of total failure), weekly progression in either reps. and/or weight.

I vary my caloric intake between 3,900 and 2,500 depending upon what type of cycle I'm in. Using 30p/15f/55c (higher calorie intake) or 35p/25f/40c ratios.

I only supplement w/whey protein normally using an intake of 1g/1 lb total bodyweight. (as the calories decrease the protein goes up accordingly)

My current weight is 215 at 10% and it changes based upon what I want to do (gain-up or lean-out) by modifying the diet of
    6 x daily meals. In the past I've never gained more than 15 lbs. at a time, nor have I lost more than 10.

I'm comfortable at 215, so here I stay, only modifying my b/f, but thats just as a hobby to see what I can do.

My ultimate goal is to attain 225 at 10% and stick there for the remainder of my years. I stand 6'4" and at 39 y/o I feel pretty good about my physical self.

Hope this helps somewhat w/your goals.
    Best Regards,

Wannabebig Member
    MRJ,
    Thanks for the reply. One vote for the 3 way split.
    215 @ 10% is impressive for someone who does that much cardio.
    225 should definetely be doable.
    Good luck with your goal!!!