Thread: DE squat days - also help flexibility?

DE squat days - also help flexibility?

dynamic effort squats are usually used to work on form and speed, But are they also good for working on hip flexibility? I have fairly inflexible hips, and it takes a lot of warming up for me to hit about an inch below parallel with a wide stance. Is it safe for me to be working on this during DE days?

And when I say "working on flexibility," I mean usually I'll set up the weight and my box (about two inches below parallel) and squat with a wide enough stance so that its pretty uncomfortable at the bottom of the squat. I have to really keep tight and focus on keeping my knees from caving in.

Oh, and I already use one of those stretching machines after workouts, and do all sorts of hip stretches afterwards to little avail.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

there is nothing wrong with workout on your form!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Thats one of the main points on DE days, speed and form. I think flexibility would fall into the category of form, so yes that is a good idea I think.

How long have you been doing it? Sometimes its just a weak area like hamstrings and not a flexibility thing and it will just come with time. Keep a strong mental focus on your form during the lifts.

stretch out though as well

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I have very inflexible hips, so warming up to squat with a wide stance takes a good 30 minutes. Start with a box that is at parallel or an inch above, then work your way down once you get warmed up.

APT Sponsored Lifter Jason Pegg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    dynamic effort squats are usually used to work on form and speed, But are they also good for working on hip flexibility? I have fairly inflexible hips, and it takes a lot of warming up for me to hit about an inch below parallel with a wide stance. Is it safe for me to be working on this during DE days?

And when I say "working on flexibility," I mean usually I'll set up the weight and my box (about two inches below parallel) and squat with a wide enough stance so that its pretty uncomfortable at the bottom of the squat. I have to really keep tight and focus on keeping my knees from caving in.

Oh, and I already use one of those stretching machines after workouts, and do all sorts of hip stretches afterwards to little avail.
    Why so far below parallel? If you want to squat that deep, youre going to have to close your stance in a bit, then gradually work it out. Do you wear briefs? They will help supprt your hips, even as you work on flexibility.

Jason

Banned
    Squatting doesn't help flexibility. It may help mobility. Flexibility is basically, static stretching. Stretch after you warm-up (non squat warm-up) then after you're done training.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Squatting doesn't help flexibility. It may help mobility. Flexibility is basically, static stretching. Stretch after you warm-up (non squat warm-up) then after you're done training.
    Hey man, it's been a while since i've seen a post from you. Where have you been?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Hey man, it's been a while since i've seen a post from you. Where have you been?
    What's up man? I've been busy with work. I've stayed away from my favorite Nutrition forum because I'm tired of being told how dumb I am and how wrong I am with my ways of gaining weight. But, I'll be back there soon. I need some cyber-drama.

It's so gay of you to miss me.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    What's up man? I've been busy with work. I've stayed away from my favorite Nutrition forum because I'm tired of being told how dumb I am and how wrong I am with my ways of gaining weight. But, I'll be back there soon. I need some cyber-drama.

It's so gay of you to miss me.
    Hey I never said I missed you.

Yes, I think theyve been calling your name in the nutrition section lately.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Hey I never said I missed you.

Yes, I think theyve been calling your name in the nutrition section lately.
    LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!