The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Best Master Lifter In The World? Any Good Master Lifter Stories?

Ok bros...lets start getting things cracking around here. I am going to start putting up some threads, and I want all of you to respond. We have great lifters from all over the world on here and WE WANT to hear what you have to share! If you have ever written a response...and then not sent it....then its not too late....put it up so we all can learn. Lets hear about who you think is the best MASTER POWERLIFTER in the world right now.

I trained with DICK AUSTIN, owner of AUSTINS GYM for several years. He has done 402 bench officially, at 73 years old!! YOU READ THAT RIGHT! He is now 76 or 75...geez I cant remember......and ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK CAN WALK IN AND DO 315 PLUS TOTALLY RAW AT ONLY 225 BW! Keep in mind he has done an official 600 squat as well at around 70 years old as well. He is someone I consider a big brother. Damian will also vouch for this guys amazing strength. Do you train with or have you competed with some strong master lifters? Please share your experiences right here please.

Semper Fi

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I ALMOST FORGOT...our training partner, Alan Cayer, TEN TIMES BODYWEIGHT AT 50 PLUS YEARS OLD...OFFICIALLY! Including a 633 dl at 165!!

Semper Fi

big bob
    im 53 yrs old bench 335. getting better o ya i have ra. keep on lifting

i've seen an older guy at a few meets deadlifting. he's at least 70. he used to bodybuild and oly lift. there were a couple articles in PLUSA about him, he got in a real bad car wreck and part of the car impaled his face. he's still lifting too, it's amazing.

i'm not sure of this guys name, does anyone know who i'm talking about?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

A couple years back I was at a push/pull in NH and there was an 82-year old man who benched 225 and pulled 405. Extremely impressive.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Trying to help toss some names out there. Roger Ryan - Benched 711.
    I'd probably have to vote for Alan Cayer at the moment. 10x bw total is just too impressive...not to mention that huuuge deadlift.

Wow some good names! I am going to try and haul out the formulas and see if Dick gets his goal of 402@230 at 76, what would it take to beat him on the bench? As for Alan? I think he has a meet coming right up so we will see if he breaks his total!

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Trying to help toss some names out there. Roger Ryan - Benched 711.
    I'd probably have to vote for Alan Cayer at the moment. 10x bw total is just too impressive...not to mention that huuuge deadlift.
    I vote for Roger Ryan, as well. He has in fact done 711 at around 55 years old in a single ply poly shirt. He trains about an hour away from me and he goes to a lot of the same meets. Great guy!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Odd Haugen has to be considered, as well. He mostly does strongman (beating guys half his age!) but he still competes in powerlifting every so often. He was at the WABDL Worlds this past November (where I met him, and he is another great guy) and deadlifted 722 lbs Raw at 57 years of age. He's been involved in strength sports continuously for over 40 years and has competed in World's Strongest Man and countless other meets.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I vote for Roger Ryan, as well. He has in fact done 711 at around 55 years old in a single ply poly shirt. He trains about an hour away from me and he goes to a lot of the same meets. Great guy!
    Thanks for the props, but I was 51 when I benched the 711 in a 2ply Titan F6. Also, I only compete bench only, which would make a huge difference in bench #'s compared to a full power competitor.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Anyone help me with getting the formulas? Odd is a GREAT puller as well! There are so many great master lifters, many not even peaking til their 40's now!

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Anyone help me with getting the formulas? Odd is a GREAT puller as well! There are so many great master lifters, many not even peaking til their 40's now!

Semper Fi

Check out this site for formula calculations:

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/relative_strength/
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

I'm interested in seeing some pics of these 70 year old powerlifters who are putting upt hese huge numbers. Are they still jacked? It would certainly be something to aspire to when I'm 70... :-D
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Dick Austin is def jacked up, he looks great! He is probably 5'6 or 5'7 230 or so solid. Huge chest, arms and delts. Look up the APF world records and many other feds, you will see him in there. He owns ALL OF THE MASTER WORLD RECORDS in the 75-79 age class in the 242 class, as well as many more records in the WPC.

Semper Fi

Oh yeah. What about Ernie Frantz?

EDIT:
    He should be around 74 by now. At the age of 64 he Squatted 821lbs.
    Last edited by Xellarz; 04-24-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: additional information

I am going back home in a month or two and will get some recent pics of Dick Austin. I will be training that week back at Austins, with Al Cayer..WHO JUST WONT THE BEST LIFTER AT THE MASTERS NATIONALS BY THE WAY!

Semper Fi

Me and wife were walking thorugh the hotel parking lot at the SPF worlds last year and a guy in his late 60's to early 70's was walking past us. As he got about 5 feet away he says to me "go home boy, because I'm winning it all".

The next day he benched in the low 3's without even wearing wrist wraps. Very impressive. There was a another guy there in his 60's and it was his 250 something meet. I had to ask him twice when he said it. He was in gear to which was cool.

The guy that benched was talking to my wife later and telling her how he worked as a personal trainer at his local gym so he could train "the ladies".

I hope I can still walk in the gym at 70 let alone work out.
    sponsored by Anderson powerlifting (Titan gear) AtLarge nutrition and APT prowriststraps

How sad do you have to be to lie to people on the internet. How weak or broken do you have to be to lie about how tough you are, how much you lift or how big or lean you are? You are lying to people you will never meet. The worst part is your the only one that does not see the lies show through so clearly. Just be happy with what you have, it may not be what you once had, but it is still better than many will ever have

Banned
    ERNIE Frantz at 73 puts up 600-700 squat what seems to be weekly...and an ocassional 500 deadlift.
    Last edited by strongkid963; 05-08-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    My brothers training partner has alot of masters records. He still has uspf records from the early 90's in sqauts and bench. He has raw benched 420 at 150 lbs and benched 500 in a shirt. I know he just strated using shirts again last year, but I guess there is more tecnique to them . I have heard he did 550 in the gym last week. The guy is 48 years old which is crazy at that age. I was reading a powerlifting usa from 1996 and there was a whole feature on him and his training. His name is Joe Scazlo.

Meh, at 48 the guy is practically just past his prime as far as bench goes, lol.

I used to work out at this one gym where a guy in his 60's and in a wheelchair would bench ridiculous ammounts of weight. Its so long ago I can't remember how much was on there but he was a beast.