Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm 5'10", 140lbs and a high metabolism . . . . HELP!

Wannabebig Member

I'm 5'10", 140lbs and a high metabolism . . . . HELP!

its soooooo hard for me to gain weight! when i work out i just get CUT and not really gain nay weight. i can eat like a 300lb person for a while and i still wont gain more than a couple pounds . . i just **** a lot more.

people tell me to take weight gainers . . . others say take creatine . . .

i have started working out over the past week and a half . . . so should i take creatine and keep working out or take weight gainers and keep working out?

ps. i want to gain like 20lbs - 25lbs in a short period of time . . .

From what i've learned here on the boards is you don't need the "magic" supplement. You need to eat, feel full during the whole day. Eat every 2 - 3 hours and make sure maintain enough protein. Invest in a 100% Whey Protein powder, take that once or twice a day. Once you get your diet in order , you then should start looking into creatine and a weight gainer. My 2cents. Good luck bro.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

count your calories...you probably aren't eating nearly as much as you think. And you can't really just say you "eat a lot", you need to find out exactly how much you're eating.

I was in exactly your position when I started, I also have a fast metabolism. You have to learn how to REALLY eat a lot. There are little tricks and methods that help you out (e.g. peanut butter in your shakes) along the way.

I take a weight gainer, I would advise taking one to add to your shakes; they add a lot of calories. The ultimate goal is to raise your calorie count as much as possible, while making sure you get enough protein.

BE consistent. Also, it's easier to drink calories than eat them. Make a lot of shakes. Drink a lot of milk.
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    From what i've learned here on the boards is you don't need the "magic" supplement. You need to eat, feel full during the whole day. Eat every 2 - 3 hours and make sure maintain enough protein. Invest in a 100% Whey Protein powder, take that once or twice a day. Once you get your diet in order , you then should start looking into creatine and a weight gainer. My 2cents. Good luck bro.
    yea i feel you but trust me i eat like all day . . . and im always eating chicken and i try to eat some eggs everyone once inna while . . . but i just constantly go to the bathroom and let it all out . . . all this while im working out and im just getting cut even though im working out to get big, not cut.

Eat more. I was in the same boat. Thought I was eating all day non stop. Then I counted calories a few days. Turned out adding a 1000 calorie shake into my daily meal plan was what I needed to get over the hill.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardgainer169 View Post
    count your calories...you probably aren't eating nearly as much as you think. And you can't really just say you "eat a lot", you need to find out exactly how much you're eating.

I was in exactly your position when I started, I also have a fast metabolism. You have to learn how to REALLY eat a lot. There are little tricks and methods that help you out (e.g. peanut butter in your shakes) along the way.

I take a weight gainer, I would advise taking one to add to your shakes; they add a lot of calories. The ultimate goal is to raise your calorie count as much as possible, while making sure you get enough protein.

BE consistent. Also, it's easier to drink calories than eat them. Make a lot of shakes. Drink a lot of milk.
    yea i eat a lot of random food lol. but yea i'll get some protein shakes and drink them as well as milk as much as possible.

so you don't think i should use creatine or weight gainers?

Banned
    Write down your food each day for a few weeks and post it. Then we can tell you why you aren't gaining, which is going to be you aren't eating enough.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Eat more. I was in the same boat. Thought I was eating all day non stop. Then I counted calories a few days. Turned out adding a 1000 calorie shake into my daily meal plan was what I needed to get over the hill.
    alright so looks like i need some shakes. i guess ill get some of those today and check back in within a few weeks?

Run us through a list of foods today, and we'll see how much more calories you need.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    Run us through a list of foods today, and we'll see how much more calories you need.
    ummm ok today . . .

4 pizza pops in the morning, big bowl of my moms fried rice (has chicken, beans and eggs all in it), had a glass of milk sometime, had alot of water at the gym, another bowl of fried rice and a couple mini soft tacos bought at the grocery store to heat up.

4pm pacific time . . . and like i "went to the bathroom" twice already today and i need to go again =S . . so its constantly leaving my body . .
    Last edited by fabolous; 04-23-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fabolous View Post
    yea i eat a lot of random food lol. but yea i'll get some protein shakes and drink them as well as milk as much as possible.

so you don't think i should use creatine or weight gainers?

I did advise taking a weight gainer, simply for convenience.

Creatine is a very different supplement. You don't take it to gain weight, you take calories for that. Creatine is more for improving performance in the gym, and improving recovery.

Research it a bit and take it if you want. I take it, and I like it, as do many people on here.

But as I said, not for packing on pounds.
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal

ummm ok today . . .

4 pizza pops in the morning, big bowl of my moms fried rice (has chicken, beans and eggs all in it), had a glass of milk sometime, had alot of water at the gym, another bowl of fried rice and a couple mini soft tacos bought at the grocery store to heat up.

4pm pacific time . . . and like i "went to the bathroom" twice already today and i need to go again =S . . so its constantly leaving my body . .
    That's not really much at all.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

yeah...eat moar
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

schmitty199
    ummm ok today . . .

A glass of milk? It would be to your benifit to drink a whole lot more then that...
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Thought you said you eat a lot...4 pizza pops? "trust me i eat like all day" you must eat excruciatingly slow. Okay, look. Maybe you think you eat a lot, and maybe we can't convince you that you don't. Here's what you do, like others have said, write down what you eat...and write down how much. Count calories, carbs, fat, protein. It'll help you no matter what your goals are. It'll also likely show you that you have the appetite of a bird. That's okay, bro...but you've gotta change it, okay?

This morning alone i ate

715 calories
    36 g of fat
    70 g of carbs
    62 g of protein

And supposively, thats not even enough. So just keep eating....PM me if you want to know what i ate.
    Last edited by fooz; 04-23-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

I eat an average of at least 4500 calories a day.
    Last edited by hardgainer169; 04-23-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    age---------22
    height------ 5'9"

My Journal

Gonnabebig
    ummm ok today . . .

thats nowhere near enough... i'd say scrap the pizza pops and go for a protein shake in the morning and make yourself some eggs.. snack on almonds throughout the day.. when lunch rolls around have it with some milk.. go for anything with chicken in it... oh and scrap the mini soft tacos for something with more protein, and less sodium/fat
    "If you're not fighting for something you're dying for nothing."

18 y/o, 5"6', 151.6lbs.
    Goal: 160 LBS by July (under 10%bf)
    Bench: 195
    Squat: 205 (Outdated)
    Dead: 205 (Outdated)

Eat More...
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

ps. i want to gain like 20lbs - 25lbs in a short period of time . . .
    You can't gain 20-25lbs of muscle in any timeframe you would call "short".

ummm ok today . . .

So thats what, 2800 at most?

You need something in the range of 3500+, 4000 would be better
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

to be fair, that was only 4pm. I intake most of my calories from 3pm - 1am.

OP, you said you ate like a fat person and gained a couple of pounds. Just keep that up.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

"Big" bowl probably isn't all that big. I had it figured at around 2k calories at most.... but I do recognize that I almost always undercount.

I started the same weight as you, but I'm a little taller, I've put on about 10lbs since starting. Trying to eat as much as you can is something you just have to do. I could've eat a lot more yesterday, but here's what I had:

Morning

1 glass of oats with 2 cups of water
    1 glass of milk

Mid-afternoon

2 rolls and scrambled eggs
    500ml of milk

Lunch

1 steak bake (would normally have something more)
    1L of milk

Dinner

Chicken and Rick with a nice sause
    Big glass of milk

Post workout

2 double cheeseburgers
    2 scoups of protein with milk
    The Time is Now - My Journey to 180lbs
    Skinny Guy Starts Training
    Progress Pictures

Height: 6'-6'1" | Weight:160lbs | Start Weight: 140lbs | Goal Weight: 180lbs
    Bench: 176.4lbs x 5
    Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 264.6lbs x 5

Nothing maxed yet!

Standing at the same height as you, and about 5 pounds lighter, I take in around 3500 calories a day to maintain my body weight. Hit up the pasta, rice, peanut butter, chicken, eggs, milk, yogurt, anything and everything around you that is healthy.