Thread: Ectomorph and Mesomorph

Ectomorph and Mesomorph

Whats the difference between these two? I've seen them talked about quite alot. Advantages and Disadvantages to both? Anyway I can tell which one I am?

Oh and there's endomorph as well. What does this mean?

general opinion on this board seems to be its mainly bullshit.
    read the other thread about it in here

endomorph has 0 advantages.. ectomorph stays lean all the time , and mesomorph is the best...

Simply use the search function on the internet for "ectomorphic" and you'll find everything you need to determine which is which and how you fit into the categories.

In summary:

Meso: are naturally more muscular, genetically gifted, athletes
    Ecto: are tall-thin, for lack of a better term bookworms
    Endo: are heavy-stalky, the happy and jolly types

Most persons are a combination of two of the types with a single type being the primary body-characterization.

For example BB players are primarily Ecto. w/Meso tendencies, while Running backs or sprinters may be Meso. w/Ecto. tendencies, then there are say Linemen who are Endo. w/Meso. tendencies in that they are usually higher in b/f, but also athletic.

You really need to read-up, as these descriptions are rudementary at best.

I'd rate them as follows relating strictly to the ability to attain mass as is required for Body Building:

Meso (higher genetic potential, most any type of exercise works)

Endo (has genetic potential, but requires work)

Ecto (lower genetic potential, much work, little results)
    Last edited by MRJ; 03-20-2002 at 12:18 PM.
    Best Regards,

the kid from oz
    Originally posted by MRJ
    For example BB players are primarily Ecto. w/Meso tendencies, while Running backs or sprinters may be Meso. w/Ecto. tendencies, then there are say Linemen who are Endo. w/Meso. tendencies in that they are usually higher in b/f, but also athletic.

i agree.. we did this in sport science last year... i dont think you can be just one because everyone has different genetics and qualities

^ is a horny teenager.
    ITS bs dude i use to be ecto now im meso, it changes. but the theory is correct, but no one adds you can change from one to the other with work, or lack of work
    Last edited by Zalxder; 03-20-2002 at 03:22 PM.

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    Zalxder, like MRJ said, most of us are combos of said somatypes. You are probably an ecto-meso combo. You build muscle well. But if you were to stop lifting you would probably lean right back out.
    I'm an endo-meso combo. I muscle up really well. But if I quit lifing, I just get fat.
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by Zalxder
    ITS bs dude i use to be ecto now im meso, it changes. but the theory is correct, but no one adds you can change from one to the other with work, or lack of work
    Mr. Z:

Body-types don't change . . .

You may be a more muscularly developed Ectomorph, but you're still primarily an Ecto. (slim frame, small wrists, small ribcage, etc.)

Conversely, an Endo may slim-down a bit or a lot, but he/she is still an Endo, just in shape.

Possibly, your type was that of a Meso. but you were simply under-developed and have now reached your true potential ?

In any event, you are what you are. You can't change what nature has supplied, only mold it.

Respectfully.
    Best Regards,

Wannabebig Member
    " endomorph has 0 advantages.. ectomorph stays lean all the time , and mesomorph is the best...
    "

Endomorphs put on mass easily and are usually very strong. The only problem is cutting up.

-Zulu

What Zulu said.
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

Personally I don't buy into the whole "body type" thing. I'm gonna probally write an article on it so I'll leave it at that.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    I agree MRJ and xraygirl. Some of the comments remind me of interviews I have read with Arnold and other professionals where they brag about how they came from ectomorph/hardgainer genes and how they struggled to put on muscle. Then in the next section of an article they talk about putting on 30 or 40 pounds of muscle when they first started training(not someone who would be considered a hardgainer or with predominant ectomorph traits).

Obviously there are a bunch of other factors that go into how someone responds to training fiber makeup, hormonal levels, etc.. I am just a big believer in different exercise prescriptions instead of these magazine articles that start off with a definition of individual differences and then prescribe one routine to the masses. I know the main part of weight training is experimenting and finding out what is best for you but for newbies and confused trainees it is helpfull to expand on the cookie cutter routines and to show them how to tweak the routine to fit their somotype and fiber makeup. Ian King, Charles Poliquin, Steve Holman, and many writers of the past especially John McCallum constantly make references to individual differences and give recomendations. Even though they might not agree on advice it is good to see that they recognize that a big boned trainee with a majority of fast twitch fibers should train like a small boned trainee with a majority of slow twitch fibers(just one example)

Wannabebig Member
    I meant to say that a the trainees in the last example should not train the same. Damn I need to remember to proofread.

Dead Sexy Member
    jack, you seem very intelligent, welcome to the board.

I'm an ecto, sometimes it's frustrating, but everyone has their problems, whether it be gaining weight or say, reading.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen,
    Thank you very much.I fit the sterotype of the typical hardgainer where gains did not come easy so I went and read everything I could about building muscle(unfortunately I also spent way too much money on supplements also). I have gathered a bunch of usefull info on ectomorph training that has made a big difference in my gains. If you want I will post tomorrow what has helped me the most besides the obvious(compound movements and eating a surplus of calories).
    Maki,
    I look foward to your article.

Mr Jack:

Post your findings . . . Sounds like it would be helpful to those with similar circumstances.

I appreciate your comment re: "I spent way to much on supplements". The placebo effect is an amazing thing, isn't it ?

Food for thought re: Information & Supplementation

"Read everything, believe half of what you read , apply the other half to your person and maintain the half that has a benefit"
    Best Regards,

maki...please do!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Wannabebig Member
    MRJ and Allen,
    I will state the obvious advice I have read regarding ectomorphs:
    1) Eat alot(I believe the optimal way to find out how much to eat is to write down everything you have eaten during 3-5 days to find your set point and then start adding 500 calories to that)

2) Use compound exercises and make sure to add either the squat or deadlift(Most ectomorphs are suited to the deadlift but regardless should still concentrate on gaining flexibility and learning proper technique to utilize squats).

3) Lower cardio(3 x20 min of walking or other low impact aerobics a week should be more then enough)

The following advice is not universally recognized but just advice I have seen directed at ectomorphs. I am by no means saying everyone should follow all of this tips but some might prove usefull to a trainee.
    (no particular order)(this is all geared to the traditional hardgainer/ectomorph)

Theory 1: Hardgainers produce more cortisol the most trainees(I won't go into the reasoning behind this right now just ways to combat this)
    -Sleep 8-10 hours, Avoid stress, nap, carbs post workout, protein shake or meal b4 bed and upon rising, avoid long workouts and intense cardio, and take vitamin C. (there are more ways these are the most common)

Theory 2: Hardgainers/Ectomorphs are better suited for endurance activities and not bodybuilding due to fiber makup(majority of slow twitch fibers).
    -Advice on this has been split the majority believe that these trainees should train the opposite of what they are inclined to: low reps in compound movements allmost like a powelifter. On the other side are authors such as Charles Poliquin and Steve Holman(Ironman Editor) who believe that ectomorphs/hardgainers should train for muscle with a higher time under tension at least 40 seconds. There also seems to be two schools of thought regarding workout splits for ecotomorphs one school believes full body workouts done 2-3 x a week are best while others believe the best way to train is a split routine concentrating on just 1-2 bodyparts a day.

Could most of this advice apply to all somotypes? Yes. Does bodybuilding come easier to the ectomorph? NO. I am by no means making excuses for ectomorph/hardgainers but just pointing out advice that has been given out over time by individuals who have recognized the differences of trainees and who have tried to give guidelines to optimize training of individuals.
    (not proofread due to the fact that I need to get back to my pile of work on my desk that I have been ignoring all week)

Wannabebig Member
    A link to a funny article by one of my favorite writers in the weightlifting game regarding ectomorphs:
    http://www.cyberpump.com/features/roam/sean014.html

Mr Jack:

Thanks for taking the time to post the related comments/suggestions for those in need.

I find much of the information provided in the above posts to be valid and worthy of one's consideration & evaluation on a personal level.

One additional element of a successful ecto. (in any variation) routine is: Desire & Effort, above & beyond what would normally be expected.

Ecto's. can build terrific physiques, they just need to work harder & smarter.
    Best Regards,

Originally posted by JACK JOHNSTONE
    A link to a funny article by one of my favorite writers in the weightlifting game regarding ectomorphs:
    http://www.cyberpump.com/features/roam/sean014.html
    "Read the Article" & "Have at It"

Great reading for those interested in very applicable advice.

Thanks, again Mr. Jack !
    Best Regards,

Dead Sexy Member
    Thanks Jack, while I don't necessarily agree with all your findings, I'll take them into consideration