The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

gaining weight for football

all right so i am currently a sophomore in highschool. i played football this year and would like to play varsity my senior year. i am not gonna play next year because i am too small. i would like to gain about 15-20 lbs. of muscle in time for my senior year (about a year and a half).
    Current weight: 148 Lbs.
    Bench: 125 Lbs.
    squat: 275 LBs.
    Clean: 130 Lbs.

Also, what can i do to increase my clean? i am having a hard time increasing it. thanks for any help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by erikerodri View Post
    all right so i am currently a sophomore in highschool. i played football this year and would like to play varsity my senior year. i am not gonna play next year because i am too small. i would like to gain about 15-20 lbs. of muscle in time for my senior year (about a year and a half).
    Current weight: 148 Lbs.
    Bench: 125 Lbs.
    squat: 275 LBs.
    Clean: 130 Lbs.

Also, what can i do to increase my clean? i am having a hard time increasing it. thanks for any help.
    After my sophomore year I was 155, when the next football season rolled around I was a little under 185. Halfway through this offseason ive gotten up to about 195, then slimmed down a couple pounds for track.

The point is, you can put on far more then 15 pounds of muscle before your senior year if you do it right. It's all about the diet, I wish I would of known that a lot earlier.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

try out for football next year, even if you get smashed. trust me. probably the best advice you'll get if you want to play your senior year. i know you're small, but if you have heart, you'll play. smaller kids have done it.

what position do you want to play, that would help out a lot. I'm guessing with your size you could play cornerback or safety or something. here's the deal. eat!!!!! simple as that. eat a ton. as much as you can, as often as you can. literally, feel sick throughout the entire day. try to eat as lean as you can, but at your size, i wouldnt sweat about it all too much. when you go to the gym, work on your big 3 (squat, bench,
    DL). use a good workout split that you can find on this site. when you hit the weightroom, hit it hard. work your balls off. you want to be in good football shape too, so make sure you do some football type cardio, ie tire flips, sled pulling, etc. this is all really vague advice, but start a journal and ask for continuing advice, and if you stay on here and bust your hump, i promise you we can help you get a good bit stronger and bigger before your Junior season.
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

From a coaches point of few you got to keep playing and not sit out one year. The game changes so much. Go to my Football workout and read it if you have any question send me a message.
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the advice. i forgot to include this. i played cornerback and wide receiver. i sucked at corner and i was slow for a wide reciever. i catch very good it's just the speed is bad. I was hoping to become a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    try out for football next year, even if you get smashed. trust me. probably the best advice you'll get if you want to play your senior year. i know you're small, but if you have heart, you'll play. smaller kids have done it.
    x2. personally, on our team when someone sits out their junior year. they come back and get absolutely no respect. even if you do get pushed around, if you get back up and just keep trying people take notice and it will make your senior year a lot better

get your form down first by watchin some videos. high pulls and heavy deads worked pretty well for me. you could try upright rows too, but i dont like them. they just feel unnatural to me.
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

You should play next year.

yeah, you gotta play next year if you want to play as a senior. unless you become a beast in the year you would take off, the coaches might not even give you a look. how tall are you?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    i just started growing again (late sadly) but i am i've been 5'6 for about 2 years but now i'm about 5'7 / 5'8 'ish

A year and a half to gain 15-20lbs?!?!

You could put that on in a month and as long as you were training right and staying in shape it would all help you. How long until football tryouts for next year? I'm with everyone in saying don't skip a year if you intend on playing your senior year.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

5' 7" 148 lbs + 10-15 lbs by next season, +20 the next would be a good and obtainable goal. You want to maintain the speed you have too when putting on weight, keep that in mind. I gained 40 lbs between junior and senior years, and it messed me up speed wise. too much fat. it took me until the winter of my sophmore year in college to get things back on track as far as size, speed, and strength was concerned, and get back to my peak playing condition. I don't know anything about you as a football player, but have you considered playing linebacker? HS football is as much about heart and technique as size.
    Last edited by joey54; 04-17-2008 at 04:49 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

also, are you a wrestler or play any other sports?

Just get under the bar!

Dude, just start eating. Eat lots of beef and rice, drink milk, eat ice cream. Eat whatever you can. You'll gain weight. You should be able to gain at least 20 lbs by next season.

Sitting out your junior year is a bad idea. You'll regret it. Really think about this decision.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I've coached the last five years and not once has a kid sat a year and come back better. We had a bunch of kids sit my first year because we had to cancel the JV team, 9th on up were on Varsity. About ten 9th graders quit, so they could get bigger, faster..... Only one came back his sophomore year and got any time at all and he would have been better off if he had played as a freshman. Granted, this was a good team, but the kids who sat, missed a ton of experience and had to learn the game at another level. You don't pick that up in the weight room, or by gaining 20 pounds. You can still gain the weight, improve your speed and get experience, even if it's just through practice, by playing your junior year.

On the other hand, while I haven't seen a kid sit and come back better, I have seen undersized, slow kids have great years. We had a WLB, 5'6" tops, 150 tops and slow 40 time. He played a little time as Junior, but started as a Senior. He was the oustanding defensive player in the sectional finals, 2nd team all league. He had a ton of heart and worked hard. He was a kid that was a fourth string DB his sophomore year, I moved him to LB because he was scrappy and could tackle, he got some practice his junior year, learned the spot and was a very good LB his senior year. I've got more examples of the undersized, slow kids working their asses off during the season and coming back the next year and being very good.

Banned
    Why would you sit out a year and not play a game you like/love? Stop crying about being too small. Google Darren Sproles. He plays for the San Diego Chargers and for Kansas State in college. He's 5'6" and I bet he's about 200lbs. He's in the NFL! Same thing with Maurice Jones-Drew. He's 5'5" about 220lbs. They are both grown men (in their 20's). You're a baby still (no disrespect).

I walked on at The University of Arizona at 6'4" 190lbs. I was a DE. I played against 300+ lb tackles and 2 280lb TE's everyday in practice for a whole season. It sucked ass. I came back the next season at 230lbs and the following season around 250lbs. My point is, play football because you like it. If you're "big enough" or "not big enough" doesn't matter. Reach down between your legs and see what you grab onto. If you have a pair of balls, use them and kick some ass as a junior. The only thing that's "big enough" or "not big enough" are your balls.

Wannabebig Member
    well, i don't play any other sports at school. all i do is lift and do a little boxing. I am considering playing but i have to work with my schedule (work, drivers ed, babysitting,etc.) but like you guys said, i should at least try to do something i love.

schmitty199
    well, i don't play any other sports at school. all i do is lift and do a little boxing. I am considering playing but i have to work with my schedule (work, drivers ed, babysitting,etc.) but like you guys said, i should at least try to do something i love.
    Big problem. If speeds a problem area for you, why arent you out for track?
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty199 View Post
    Big problem. If speeds a problem area for you, why arent you out for track?
    Good point. When I was in HS, football players were expected to be on the track team.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    If you're worried about size in high school football, Don't! At the high school level size really isn't that important. It's all about hard work and determination. I had always wanted to play football, but I never tried out until my freshman year and at that time I was about 5'6 and weighed 130. I never let my size get me down and I learned to play fairly well. I ended up starting over Juniors who weighed 180-200 pounds on the JV team. And my sophomore year, I got some varsity time at TE when I was 5'9 165 pounds. This past year my coach asked me to move to guard even though I only weighed 180 pounds and I ended up starting all 11 Varsity games. I played games against kids who were 90 pounds heavier and a year older and I still dominated them. If there is one thing I've learned, it's that size doesn't matter.

This year I'm going into the season as captain of my high school football team instead of those kids who played in youth football because I worked hard. If I had not tried out because I was too small, I would have never made it to this situation.

On another note, in my three years as a player, I have never seen someone who has taken a year off come back and play better because they lose the experience that they need to play well.
    Last edited by supersam3; 04-20-2008 at 09:05 AM.

great advice supersam, couldn't have said it any better.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

I second that one. well said sam.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member

Play

Son if you are serious about wanting to play not to mention start as a senior; do not do something bonehead and regretable by not playing as a junior. This game is about passion and zeal. Play the game and live without regrets. No one regrets playing as much as possible; they do regret not giving it their all and sitting out a year. I'll recoment two books to you if you are serious about gaining weight and being able to preform on the field. One is The New HIT The other book is 52 Week Football Training. These books are a wealth of knowledge and should be vital parts of any plan you might want to make. Listen to your coaches, and DO NOT SIT OUT!!!!!!!!!! I have watched way too many kids make this horrid mistake. Play hard and live without regrets. Everyday ask does this help me better myself and my team, or am I just pissing it away?

Wannabebig Member

Cleans

Cleans are about form and speed. Keep your feet shoulder width apart. Too many let their feet go wide as they try to rack the weight on their chest. Get you elbows as high as possible to relieve the pressure on your wrist and drop your but early. If you can get the weight to just above your belly button you can clean it. Oh yeah KEEP YOUR BACK FLAT. People lose the weight when the arch their backs.