Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Never Back Down

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    409

    Never Back Down

    Went to see Never Back Down tonight and loved it. I know a lot of people hated it but I thought it was great.
    Anyway I found it quite motivating and after couldn’t wait to work out.
    I was wondering if there are any other good motivating movies that get you pumped? The Rocky series is an obvious one but any others?
    Pumping Iron is awesome but looking for fictional movies.

  2. #2
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,372
    Never Back Down = Karate Kid + The Fast and the Furious

  3. #3
    Senior Member yankeekd25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lake Worth, FL
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Never Back Down = Karate Kid + The Fast and the Furious
    + 1/2 Fight Club
    Age: 19 Height: 5'11'', Weight: 185 BF: ~14-16%

  4. #4
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Arnold's early movies motivate me. Nothing after Predator though. Also Lou as the original Incredible Hulk series. He was not super lean, just classic "buff".

    These new movies just promote the "I'm lean and only have a six pack" look that I can't stand. Nothing impressive about being 185 lbs.

    Being lean AND 285 is evidence of hard work. THAT is inspiring.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 04-20-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member yankeekd25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lake Worth, FL
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    Arnold's early movies motivate me. Nothing after Predator though. Also Lou as the original Incredible Hulk series. He was not super lean, just classic "buff".

    These new movies just promote the "I'm lean and only have a six pack" look that I can't stand. Nothing impressive about being 185 lbs.

    Being lean AND 285 is evidence of hard work. THAT is inspiring.
    I was thinking the same thing. That blonde dude in Never Back Down thought he was such a bad ass because you could see his abs. I'm sure he couldn't press his way outta a paper bag!!!
    Age: 19 Height: 5'11'', Weight: 185 BF: ~14-16%

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    391
    Undisputed II. Much better than Undisputed 1 and doesn't have much to do with it actually.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Darcy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    Arnold's early movies motivate me. Nothing after Predator though. Also Lou as the original Incredible Hulk series. He was not super lean, just classic "buff".

    These new movies just promote the "I'm lean and only have a six pack" look that I can't stand. Nothing impressive about being 185 lbs.

    Being lean AND 285 is evidence of hard work. THAT is inspiring.
    Being lean and 285 isn't usually a sign of hard work. Usually it's simply a sign of freaky ass genetics mixed in with hard work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    582
    I saw the trailer to that film and it looked ridiculous.

  9. #9
    Determined View 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Space...
    Posts
    1,962
    Movies for motivation? Are you serious... Motivation comes from inside either you have it or you don't period...
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member Jess21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23
    Yeah, you might have motivation inside you, but if you watch a Rocky movie, you want to rip the weight room in half

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Movies for motivation? Are you serious... Motivation comes from inside either you have it or you don't period...
    completely serious. you got to be motivated for other reasons otherwise you would only work out after you watch a movie... but are you sayin you've never saw a movie, anythin on tv or any sort of training video on the internet and got a lil pump and more excited to go and work out?

  12. #12
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Happy Gilmore gets me motivated to play golf.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. That blonde dude in Never Back Down thought he was such a bad ass because you could see his abs. I'm sure he couldn't press his way outta a paper bag!!!
    I know man that movie pissed me off just from watching the previews, it looked like something made by the cast of MTV's "The Hills".

  14. #14
    Senior Member yankeekd25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lake Worth, FL
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I know man that movie pissed me off just from watching the previews, it looked like something made by the cast of MTV's "The Hills".
    Yeah, I'm glad I got to see if for free 'cause if I had to pay to see it, I'd demand a refund lol.
    Age: 19 Height: 5'11'', Weight: 185 BF: ~14-16%

  15. #15
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    0
    New rule ... no one is allowed to even mention that movie again .

    I'm talking about the thread starters movie .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

  16. #16
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,965
    I'd never even heard anything about this movie till I read this thread.

    Seriously though, doesn't every high school have an underground MMA club??? Yawn
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  17. #17
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    I think Arizona is the worst. EVERYONE in arizona is an MMA fighter. For all the WBBer's in my area, they'll know EXACTLY what I mean. It's so annoying working at a bar and EVERYONE tells me they're an MMA fighter right before I throw them out on their ass.

    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter"
    me-"get the **** out (#1)"
    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter"
    me-"get the **** out (#2)"
    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter, you don't even know me"
    me-*grab said perp around the throat and drag out then hip toss onto the street
    perp-"I'm a professional fighter, why dont' you come out here on the street and see what happens"
    me-"really?" *walks away*


    its really humorous, but it gets so old.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  18. #18
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Unwritten rule:

    Street fighters are good at street fighting, and bad at cage fighting.

    Cage fighters are good at cage fighting, and bad at street fighting.

    In my experience this is about 98% accurate. There are SOME exceptions.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  19. #19
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    Unwritten rule:

    Street fighters are good at street fighting, and bad at cage fighting.

    Cage fighters are good at cage fighting, and bad at street fighting.

    In my experience this is about 98% accurate. There are SOME exceptions.
    Kimbo Slice seems to be doing well..

    lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  20. #20
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    which is why I said "some exceptions"
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn NY/Daemen College, Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,955
    I actually like what story and message was deeply rooted in the Laguna Bullbleep of it all.

    Id like to be 185lbs, but bigger than those bloody underwear models.

  22. #22
    Who is John Galt? CrazyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    Unwritten rule:

    Street fighters are good at street fighting, and bad at cage fighting.

    Cage fighters are good at cage fighting, and bad at street fighting.

    In my experience this is about 98% accurate. There are SOME exceptions.
    Please define "street fighter"?

    Someone with training has quite a bit of advantage against someone that doesn't. When all the motor skills break down and adrenaline sets in, the trained fighter will hit harder and longer.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

    "A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

  23. #23
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    Please define "street fighter"?

    Someone with training has quite a bit of advantage against someone that doesn't. When all the motor skills break down and adrenaline sets in, the trained fighter will hit harder and longer.
    but a seasoned "street fighter" will do the same.. anyone that can take a bareknuckle punch and keep on trucking like it aint no thang will do extremely well in a street fight. a "street fighter" is obviously someone who has experience fighting on the street, thus their motor skills won't break down since they are comfortable in that surrounding. Hell, a trained fighter may actually be demoralized by the uncomfort of the situation of not being in a ring.

    a trained fighter is trained, therefore unless engaged in prior street fights, will not think to use their surroundings to their advantage, or even hold off on knee's, elbows, headbutts etc that a "street fighter" would use.. I'm trained in boxing, so if I've never been in a street fight before, I would not think to use my knees or elbows to my advantage.. however, since I have been in a considerable amount of street fights, I know what to expect, how to deal with it, and how to make myself come out on top... you get the gist of it..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  24. #24
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    I think Arizona is the worst. EVERYONE in arizona is an MMA fighter. For all the WBBer's in my area, they'll know EXACTLY what I mean. It's so annoying working at a bar and EVERYONE tells me they're an MMA fighter right before I throw them out on their ass.

    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter"
    me-"get the **** out (#1)"
    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter"
    me-"get the **** out (#2)"
    perp-"Don't touch me, I'm a cage fighter, you don't even know me"
    me-*grab said perp around the throat and drag out then hip toss onto the street
    perp-"I'm a professional fighter, why dont' you come out here on the street and see what happens"
    me-"really?" *walks away*


    its really humorous, but it gets so old.
    I visualized this scene, and the guy was about 5'8 150, white, buzz cut, with urban slang dialect. I read it twice and laughed twice.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  25. #25
    Grammar Nazi BG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,977
    People who are getting into street fights often should re-evaluate their priorities in life.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

    Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Similar Threads

  1. Doggcrapp training
    By BigMatt in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
  2. Squat form
    By The Bran Man in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 07:18 PM
  3. [Injury] Low Back Pain
    By NeuroParadox in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
  4. Low back pain from squats, Need some suggestions
    By Ironminded in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 05:17 AM
  5. MonStar's Journal: A New Beginning
    By MonStar in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 612
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 04:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •