The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Volodkovich's training log

Hey everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself - my name's Robbie and I've been lifting on and off for the last couple of years while studying. I'm currently studying Engineering in Christchurch, New Zealand. I've decided its time to do make some proper gains, so i thought i'd start a training log. I think it will help with my motivation.

I've been lurking around for a while, mainly just reading and not much posting.

Basically i've increased my lifts slightly since learning how to do them. My current big 3 are:

Dead: 200kg (440pounds)
    Bench: 95kg (210pounds)
    Squat: 160kg (352pounds)

I'm sitting at 202pounds bodyweight at the moment, and i assume around 20-22% BF. Not too keen on the BF so ive decided to cut for 4-5months (however long it takes me), then slowly bulk. I've got unfortunate genetics in that even when i slim down i still have a lot of fat in the stomach area. I got down to 78kg (170pounds) last year and still had a lot of fat in the stomach region.
    Ideally in a years time i'd like to be around 200pounds but at 10% bodyfat. Who knows if this is possible but im going to give it a damn good shot.

The plan so far is:

-PSMF (TKD) until i reach around 15% bodyfat
    -UD2.0 after this, try to get some visible ab's etc going.
    -Then change to UD2.0 for mass gaining, as to try keep the fat off.

When i got down to 170pounds before i was using a PSMF approach, but i felt like it just slowed my metabolism so much i stopped making gains. I came off it and gained the weight back. So the approach now is to do a less intensive PSMF (doing tkd - so carbs before workouts, hopefully i can still make some strength gains while training) to cut to a lower BF, then use UD2.0 to get rid of the rest.

After i achieve that i plan on upping calories during UD2.0 to maintenance and doing a mass building ud2.0.

Goals for a years time as far as lifts go are:

Bench: 120kg (265pounds)
    Deadlift: 230kg (506pounds)
    Squat: 190kg (418pounds)
    Overhead press: 90kg (200pounds)

Currently going for around 2000calories a day, limiting carbs to around 10grams on non lifting days, and 40 or so on lifting days(taken just before workout). Eating 160-180grams protein/day, and the rest fat.

Supplements are the usual Fish oil caps, Creatine, multivitamins, Ground flaxseed (for fiber in shakes), and ive just ordered some Nitor.

Wish me luck!

Will start posting daily lifts / diet up in here. Will take some pics for before/after too.
    Last edited by volodkovich; 03-03-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Impossible is nothing

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, so today was workout day.

Got up, had my multi-vitamin, 3 caps of fish oil, tablespoon of ground flax, scoop of nitrean, teaspoon of creatine and a vit C pill because ive been feeling a little cold come on.

Went to class, came back and Sweet! my stuff arrived from At Large. Finally got my Nitor, and a free t-shirt. At large rocks!

Had half of a big cookie (around 35g carbs), another scoop of nitrean, and a nitor half hour before going to the gym.

Got there an did my workout as follows:

BB Bench:
    Warm up on 40kg(88pounds)
    60kg(132lb) x 10
    60kg(132lb) x 10
    80kg(175lb) x 4
    No one could spot me and i didn't feel comfortable, so i moved onto some DB Bench:
    31kg(69lb) x 6
    31kg(69lb) x 2

Man, what a **** bench workout. I felt drained and just wasn't getting into it. I guess i will just have to get used to this PSMF. I seem to have a mind block with bench, i feel like i'm crap at it and i think it generally makes me worse. I really need to sort out my form and start pulling some numbers.

Went to BB mil press:
    bar warmup
    40kg(88lb) x 10
    50kg(110lb) x 6
    60kg(132lb) x 1 only just got it up.

Again, felt like crap. I'm not particulary tired, but i have been having weird sleeping patterns lately, so that could explain some of it. And of course the PSMF. 1RM hasnt really gone down, but i feel like i have no muscular stamina.

Chest Dips:

Body weight x5
    Body weight x5

Peck Deck:
    54kg(119lb) x 10
    68kg(150lb) x 6

By this time i'd had enough. Too many curl jockeys around and i was feeling tired. My middle Delts were still sore from Back day so i decided not to do anymore direct shoulder work.

Just had another Nitrean and i'm having some Corned beef and veges for dinner.

I always seem to have the problem of my front delts getting annihilated during bench, and then having problems doing mil press / arnold press. Any ideas what i can do to fix this? My current split is push/pull/legs, however i'm thinking of going horizontal/vertical/ham dominant/quad dominant like Baby god back.

Other than that i need to work harder next time. I think i will start going gym earlier in the day.
    Last edited by volodkovich; 03-04-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Leg day.

Some tool's were in the squat racks so i couldn't squat. Gym was closing in an hour so i decided to leg press and use some machines. I normally don't leg press because i think it gives you the illusion of strength, but oh well.

Leg press:
    176pounds x 10 warm up
    352pounds x 6
    352pounds x 6
    616pounds x 3
    704pounds x 3
    792pounds x 2

Felt quite good. Surprised i pulled a PB (the last set) during PSMF though. As i said before, i think that muscular stamina is effected, max strength doesn't seem to go down much.

Leg extension:
    Machine max x 6 x 3

Lying leg curl:
    Machine max x 5 x 2

Come to the conclusion machines aren't the best. Looking forward to squats next week.

Eating hasn't been too bad lately. Made some Beef stew and been eating tuna . Lots of veges, and of course protein shakes. Looking forward to carb up next Friday though.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Another average workout. Carb load is on Friday so i will bench on Saturday as i feel chest what needs the most work.

Cable row:
    54kg(118lbs) x 10
    78kg(171lbs) x 6
    84kg(184lbs) x 5
    90kg(200lbs) x 6
    96kg(211lbs) x 5

Chin up:
    Bodyweight x4
    Bodyweight x5

Lat pull down:
    60kg x 5
    72kg x 5
    72kg x 5

Upright Row:
    40kg(88lbs) x 5
    50kg(110lbs) x 5
    50kg(110lbs) x 5

Rear delt machine:
    44kg(96lbs) x 5
    51kg(112lbs) x 3
    61kg(134lbs) x 3

No deadlifts because my legs are still sore from last weeks leg day. And i feel like my lats need a lot more work than my lower back at the moment. I will do heavy deads next week and then some lat/general back work.

I'm losing quite a bit of fat, feeling pretty good too. Starting to get a little delt seperation, and lats are starting to become quite visible. Had a few weird headaches which i hope is not due to the ketosis. Nearly 2 week carb free now, I'm surprised i did it so easily.
    Dropped a 5cm's (2inches) off my waist since being on PSMF so thats good.
    Impossible is nothing

Solid workout. Good job sticking to the diet. Keep up the great work.

Wannabebig Member
    Had my carb load yesterday. Had a bit of trouble keeping down heaps of carbs without feeling bloated though. Feel good today however.

BB Bench:
    Warmup bar
    60kg(132lbs)x10
    80kg(176lbs) x 5
    80kg(176) x 5
    80kg(176) x 4

DB Bench:
    21kg(46lbs) x 6
    31kg(68lbs) x 2

Had problems getting the 31's up, so moved on to some other stuff.

BB Mil press:
    bar warmup
    40kg(88lbs) x 10
    50kg(110) x 5
    50kg(110) x 5
    60kg(132lbs) x2
    60kg(132lbs) x 3
    60kg(132lbs) x 3 (these last sets turned into push-presses, still felt good getting them up though)

Arnold Press:
    18.5kg(40.7) x 6
    21kg(46) x 5
    23.5kg(52) x 4

Dips:
    Bodyweight x 5
    Bodyweight x 5

Did a couple sets of peck deck too, didnt take note of what weight though.

Weighed myself - 90kg fully carb repleted. So i've lost 4.5lbs bodyfat. On track for 2 weeks dieting. I was actually worried i was losing too fast, but turns out a lot of the weight lost was water.

Back to low carbs now...for 2 weeks.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Legs day.

Felt like crap all morning, queezy stomach, feels like i want to throw up. Considered not going to gym but thought i'd harden the **** up and go.

Squats:
    60kg(132lbs) x 10 warmup
    60kg(132) x 10 warmup
    100kg(220) x 6
    100kg(220) x 3
    140kg(310) x 3
    140kg(310) x 3
    150kg(330) x 1 (got this up pretty quick)
    160kg(350) x 1 (Still got this up quick, but GMed out of the hole quite badly. Need to work on form a bit)

Leg Extension (max) x 6
    Leg Curl (max) x 5

As usual, the first couple days without carbs are ****. It takes a while to get used to it and stop feeling like crap / depressed. It is surprising how much psychological impact food can have.

But anyway, wasn't a bad workout. Had that same feeling - got the strength, just no energy. Sweated a lot during workout. Pretty sure with some carbs in me i could get a PB quite easily - i felt as though 400lbs could have been doable today.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Went home for easter weekend, but managed to get in some back work:

Pullups/chins - not sure how many i did, but basically did as many as i could everytime i walked past the bar.

Lat pulldown:
    104kg x 5
    104kg x 5

Bent over row:
    50kg x 8
    50kg x 8

T-bar row:
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 3
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Leg day:

Squats:
    60kg(132lbs) x 10 warmup
    60kg(132) x 10 warmup
    100kg(220) x 6
    140kg(310) x 3
    140kg(310) x 1
    150kg(330) x 1
    160kg(350) x 1

The 350 felt good, i psyched myself up for it with some heavy breathing and went for it. No Gm'ing out of hole, i focused on form, pushed my hips back while coming up and really engaged the hip flexors. Felt good as.
    Could have gone for more but might try 375 next week.

Good Morning squats:
    60kg(132) x 10

Wide sumo squats:
    100kg(220) x 5

Did the usual set of leg extension/leg curl machine at end of workout on max. I find it stretches me well.

Wasn't a bad workout, starting to shed some fat now. Another couple weeks and i'll be set for UD2.0
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Did push yesterday. I had a 21st last night and got drunk a little more than i had liked to but oh well.

Bench press:
    60kgx8
    60kgx5
    80kgx5
    80kgx5

Mil press:
    bar warmup
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 3 (last two sets were somewhat push-presses)

Decline bench:
    80kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Upright row:
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 5

Flys:
    9kg x 8
    9kg x 8
    9kg x8

Dips x 5

One arm cable delt raise
    18kg x 5 x 2 for each arm.

Feel good today, my serratus muscles are really sore, not sure why.
    Body fat is still dropping.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Back day. Finally time to get around to the deadlifts.

Started out with deads:
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 4
    100kg x 1
    140kg x 2
    140kg x 1
    160kg(350) x 1 < about where my energy ran out.
    180kg - failed
    100kg(220) x 8

The failed rep at 400pounds put me off quite a bit - as i pulled the bar slipped a bit of of my hand, which is why i think i didn't get it up. Max ive ever pulled is 440pounds so i should have got it up.
    I didnt have my chalk with me today so that would have really helped (i normally start chalking about my 3rd set). Oh well, can only get better. Want to hit 500pounds by end of year.

Pullups:
    Bodyweight x 8/5/3/3/3

I've never done so many pullups before, so that felt good. I feel my lats are lacking so i'm trying to keep to doing pullups/chins over lat pulldowns. Next week i hope i can do a couple sets of BW +5kg to see how that feels.

Lat pulldown:
    60kg x 5 wide
    70kg x 5 wide

Cable row:
    60kg x 10
    75kg x 5

That was it for the day. Seemed ok, but as one would expect, the deads took it out of me and all i wanted to do after them was go home and rest.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Chest workout:

Dips:

Bodyweight x 8
    BW + 5kg x 5
    BW + 10kg x 5 x 3

Mil press:
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5 x 2

Upright row:
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5 x 2

Peck deck:
    55kg x 10
    75kg x 5

Rear delt row:
    40kg x 5 x 2

Finished it up with BW dips - but only managed 3 because my shoulders were sore.

All up a good workout, blasted to tri's and shoulders but didnt feel like i hit chest too much.

Weighed myself - 85.5kg (188pounds). Seems as though i havent lost much weight, but i feel quite a bit leaner. I guess this is a good thing, as hopefully i'm not losing much muscle. Still got a bit to go though.
    Last edited by volodkovich; 04-09-2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, so its been a while...

I'll post up my last two workouts. Went home for the holidays and was a bit slack, but im back into it now.

Legs day : basically just squatted. Only did up to 140kg. Was a 'getting back into it' routine, didnt push too hard. Although my legs are pretty sore at the moment. I tried some front squats for the first time ever, which was quite satifying.

I'm now changing my routine ala BGB - so doing horizontal and verticle split for upper body. Hope this fixes my shoulders/chest issues as ive said above. I just did horizontal and found it good.

Chest Dips:
    BW x 5 x 2
    BW+10kg x 5
    BW+15kg x 4 x 2
    BW+17.5kg x 4

Rack pulls:
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 2
    180kg x 2
    220kg x 3
    250kg(550) x 2

First time ever doing rack pulls, found them quite good. I felt quite limited by grip strength, so hopefully these help my deads. Dont think i could have done much more than the 550pounds. I dont even know if thats good? I held each rep for a good 10seconds or so. My forearms are still hella pumped.

Cable rows:
    48kg x 10
    74kg x 6
    84kg x 5
    90kg x 5

Prone row:
    50kg x 5 x 2
    60kg x 5

DB bench:
    26kg x 8 x 2

Think next time i need to do a bit more chest but was a good first workout of the new routine.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Ham dominated day-

Started off with romanian DL's

60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 5

Goodmornings:

60kg x 5 x 3

GM's always feel strange to me - like they arent working my hams, and are just putting strain on my lower back. Decided they werent working for me today so i went to leg press...

Leg press (high foot position - as high as i could)

80kgx 5
    160kg x 5
    200kg x 5
    240kg x 5

Could def feel this in the hams.

I'm thinking next week i will just do RDL's on this day - but then i will be doing heavy squats, rack pulls, and RDL's all in one week - is this too much?
    Impossible is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by volodkovich View Post
    GM's always feel strange to me - like they arent working my hams, and are just putting strain on my lower back.
    I thought that was the point? GMs never seem to stress my hamstrings.

I'm thinking next week i will just do RDL's on this day - but then i will be doing heavy squats, rack pulls, and RDL's all in one week - is this too much?
    Should be fine. Two comments:

1. Working up to 1RM for the squat every week will burn you out pretty quickly, better do 2RM occasionally, when you want to see if you can push your squat working weight up.
    2. That 250x2 rack pull is 125% of your biggest DL. Where do you start the rack pull from? If it's from the kneecap or below, time to go for a max DL - that will either give you a new, higher 100% DL target to work from (as well as a PR ), or show you that your DL is limited by your starting strength and not your lockout, in which case you should do regular DLs and DLs from boards instead of rack pulls and RDLs to address the issue.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the comments!

Those rackpulls were from just below the knee. I definately couldnt DL 250 though. How can i work on my strength off the floor? I think i could probably rack pull ~270 at the moment, the 250 wasn't completely maxing out. So anything up to around 270kg i could get up if i can get the bar to my upper shins.

And i agree, i think doing 1RM's on squats often isn't too good an idea. I just want to lift heavy as to try keep as much muscle as possible during this cut
    Impossible is nothing

How can i work on my strength off the floor?
    DL from boards (standing on a platform so that the bar starts out lower than it normally is).

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks F-Rider, might give it a shot.

Just did my verticle push/pull. Shoulders good but lats need work.

Pullups:
    BW x 5 x 4

I cant get past doing around 5 pullups. Chins i can do a little more. Need to work on this. I feel like im not engaging my lats too well. Just feel it in the arms.

Mil press:
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 3 < felt good, got them all up without having to do any push-presses

lat pulldown:
    72kg x 8 wide
    78kg x 5 wide
    84kg x 5 wide
    84kg x 5 narrow

Arnold Press:
    23kg x 8
    26kg x 5 x 2 <PR, felt good as.

Upright row:
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 5

Then did some rear delt cable raises @ 18kg
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Quad day:

Squats:
    Warm up
    100kg x 5 x 2
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    150kg x 2
    150kg x 2
    160kg x 1

Leg press:
    8 plates per side x 3 x 2

Didn't do anything else, was a bit pushed for time. Squats were good but by the time i did the 160 i was a bit tired, and GM'd a bit. It def isnt my max anymore though. Need to work on form, which i will do at 160, then go for a PB in a month or so.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Horizontal push/pull

Dips:
    BW x 8 x 2
    +10kg x 5
    +20kg x 5
    +20kg x 5

Rack pulls:
    Worked up to 180kg. Didnt feel like going too heavy today.

Cable rows:
    78kg x 8
    84kg x 8
    90kg x 5
    90kg x 5

T-bar rows:
    3.5plates x 8
    3.5plates x 5
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Stated UD2.0 today, so i will only be updating weekly after my power routines.

Man, the first depletion work out reminded me how hard they were. I was in pain, nearly threw up, but managed to finish it. I remember it got a lot easier after a couple weeks from last time i did UD2.0, so im hoping it will be the same this time.
    Impossible is nothing

Wannabebig Member
    Weekend power workout.

Managed to PB on two things so pretty stoked

Did 170kg x 2 for squat, and felt good.
    And BW+30kg x 3 for dips.

Other lifts were pretty normal. Good workout. I forgot how much UD2.0 suits me. Probably stick to it for a while.
    I'm 90kg at the moment, so havent lost much weight at all.
    Impossible is nothing