The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Should we boycott the Olympics?

Due to the fact that China has been violating the human rights of Falung Gong practitioners, Tibetan Buddhists, and other 'undesirables', people have been calling for a response by the global community to at least boycott the opening ceremonies. Here's my list of what we should do as the global community:
    1. Boycott the opening ceremonies, as they are run and paid for by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party)

2. Boycott the games period.

3. Have the IOC (International Olympic Committee) cancel the games as China, and Beijing, does not live up to the standards as the host city for the games.

What are your views?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Boycott the opening ceremony. This will still bring a great deal of shame to China while allowing the athletes to compete. The Olympics are not supposed to be so politically dominated. They are about the world's best athletes coming together and competing in the name of sports. Some athletes are only Olympic caliber for so long. It will screw the athletes over a lot worse than China.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Gamer/Lifter
    For America to critizce Chinas record on violation of Human Rights is laughable. We have no moral ground to stand upon when it comes to this issue therefore I say do the opening cememories, and understand its not worth the hassle.

Olypmics are about sports, not genocide, ethic killings, wars, crimes, and human rights violations.

Wanna worry about that go G8, wanna see some guy run really fast go to the olyompics.

My view may seem like I don't give a **** type deal, which it pretty much is. Boycotitng of olypmics just isn't worth it.

And to those peace loving hippies getting invovled in the olymic torch running thing BS type deal, get over it seriously. Sure China has slapped a lot of people around with a iron fist, we haven't done much better oursevles, the western world as a whole. I can pretty much point several human rights violation for each nation.e
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    They are about the world's best athletes coming together and competing in the name of sports. Some athletes are only Olympic caliber for so long. It will screw the athletes over a lot worse than China.
    I cant say it any better
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I wannabebig!
    why criticize China now? this has been going on forever... and no we shouldn't boycott the olympics for many reasons beyond that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    For America to critizce Chinas record on violation of Human Rights is laughable. We have no moral ground to stand upon when it comes to this issue therefore I say do the opening cememories, and understand its not worth the hassle.

Olypmics are about sports, not genocide, ethic killings, wars, crimes, and human rights violations.

Wanna worry about that go G8, wanna see some guy run really fast go to the olyompics.

My view may seem like I don't give a **** type deal, which it pretty much is. Boycotitng of olypmics just isn't worth it.

And to those peace loving hippies getting invovled in the olymic torch running thing BS type deal, get over it seriously. Sure China has slapped a lot of people around with a iron fist, we haven't done much better oursevles, the western world as a whole. I can pretty much point several human rights violation for each nation.e
    Im no hippie (even I wouldnt do anything that drastic and violent), but even America doesnt have organs pulled from living doners!!!!!!

I perfer my number one choice anyhow.

Option 1.

Boycott the opening ceremony. This will still bring a great deal of shame to China while allowing the athletes to compete. The Olympics are not supposed to be so politically dominated. They are about the world's best athletes coming together and competing in the name of sports. Some athletes are only Olympic caliber for so long. It will screw the athletes over a lot worse than China.
    Very well said.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

so, what's the Iraqi death toll at nowadays?
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    whole heartedly agree, why talk about this **** now its been going on for years, let the athletes compete and bring pride to their country
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    Agreed - I personally feel that the Chinese administration has, for the past 40 years or so, done a positively abysmal job at protecting the rights of their citizens. Breakneck-pace economic growth has benefited the littoral elite and left the rest of the country in shambles.

Everyone's so caught up in this boycott/no boycott thing... sooooo uhh aren't we still at war, guys?
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    A nation which enslaved its people with a corrupt and unconstitutional Federal Reserve and Income Tax should not waste energy criticizing China.

A nation which lied to its own people to go to war with a third world nation and refuses to leave despite the fact it is threatened with bankruptcy should not waste time criticizing China.

A nation that brought you Operation Ajax then had the audacity to believe American hatred in the middle east was due to America being free or prosperous, (try smoking some weed or starting your own business without being gouged of 50% of whatever you earn) should watch its own affairs before commenting on foreigners lack of human rights.

Lets learn to not cast stones because we live in a glass house.

Besides, the Olympics is about bringing the world TOGETHER, not driving it apart. I don't see how alienating China from the international community will help anyone. The Olympics should not be used as a political tool.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    A nation which enslaved its people with a corrupt and unconstitutional Federal Reserve and Income Tax should not waste energy criticizing China.

A nation which lied to its own people to go to war with a third world nation and refuses to leave despite the fact it is threatened with bankruptcy should not waste time criticizing China.

A nation that brought you Operation Ajax then had the audacity to believe American hatred in the middle east was due to America being free or prosperous, (try smoking some weed or starting your own business without being gouged of 50% of whatever you earn) should watch its own affairs before commenting on foreigners lack of human rights.

Lets learn to not cast stones because we live in a glass house.

Besides, the Olympics is about bringing the world TOGETHER, not driving it apart. I don't see how alienating China from the international community will help anyone. The Olympics should not be used as a political tool.
    EEP. I thought *I* was liberal.

Compared to China though, America hasnt done anything like...oh I dont know

Imprision people based on their religion

Havent kept people locked up because theyre minorities (we have in the past but not now)

Kept people as living organ donars

Outlawed anything that goes against the tenets of the Constitiution (Bush is not one of us period because he's more of a greedy corprate type than a man who is supposed to protect the constitution, i cant believe he wasnt impeached after the patriot act)

ETC

America, even with the Iraq War going on (I actually found out that most people in the Middle East dont hate america, they hate the bush administration, so 99.9% of us are safe) has a better human rights record than china

Even though we both torture, but thats another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkalban View Post
    EEP. I thought *I* was liberal.

Compared to China though, America hasnt done anything like...oh I dont know

Imprision people based on their religion

Havent kept people locked up because theyre minorities (we have in the past but not now)

Outlawed anything that goes against the tenets of the Constitiution (Bush is not one of us period because he's more of a greedy corprate type than a man who is supposed to protect the constitution, i cant believe he wasnt impeached after the patriot act)

ETC

America, even with the Iraq War going on (I actually found out that most people in the Middle East dont hate america, they hate the bush administration, so 99.9% of us are safe) has a better human rights record than china

Even though we both torture, but thats another story.
    The point is, they have been doing this for a while now.
    Why boycott something that will just hurt the worlds athletes?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I'm not saying America's human rights record is worse than China, that would be extreme.

All I'm saying is America should focus on whats wrong with America before expending energy and time worrying about what goes on several thousand miles away. This strange fascination with what other countries do is at best childish at worse a distraction to whats wrong with our own country.

This inane interventionist thought process has America stationing troops in 130 nations, foreign aid being expended all over the earth, and American soldiers dying to protect non-Americans.

Meanwhile Americans are having trouble meeting ends meet, are facing an energy crisis, and are facing a steady and wasteful erosion of their own civil and economic rights.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Do you have a source for this? I've read it before, but thought it was probably just a rumor. That is ghastly, if it's true.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I've read it before, but thought it was probably just a rumor. That is ghastly, if it's true.
    I got a brochure for a human rights rally at school the other day. According to one of their sources, two Canadian Parliment members, David Kilgour and David Matas, investigated and published what they found.

They have a website too, www.organharvestinvestigation.net

As for boycotting the olympics completely, I would rather we go and not attend the opening ceremony (which is run by the host country rather than the IOC) and just participate in the games.

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better my self. Using the Olympics as a political tool will only cause more problems down the road.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ockhams_Razor View Post
    I couldn't have said it better my self. Using the Olympics as a political tool will only cause more problems down the road.
    TOO LATE!

New York City is still pissed at the Mayor for his bid to build a stadium so NYC can host the 2012 Olympics

And may I remind you (though it happened long before I was even concieved) that we boycotted the Moscow Olympics and the USSR boycotted the LA Olympics

Not to mention the tragedy at Munich.

I doubt China would care anyways, the USA would just look like hypocrites. Boycott the games, then do a trillion dollars of trade with them? Way to make a statement.
    -Matt

How is the removal the removal of a dictator who murdered over 200,000 people in act of genocide related to human rights violations? The US violated Iraqs sovereignty an entirely different issue. Sure there is alot of suicide bombers in Iraq, but look at Kurdistan to see the progress that has been made.

I doubt China would care anyways, the USA would just look like hypocrites. Boycott the games, then do a trillion dollars of trade with them? Way to make a statement.
    Again if China didn't keep its currency value artificially depressed, and have wages which essentially amounted to slave labor then the US would not, but globalization forces a race to the bottom, and for the time being China is that bottom.
    Last edited by TKisner; 04-27-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TKisner View Post
    How is the removal the removal of a dictator who murdered over 200,000 people in act of genocide related to human rights violations? The US violated Iraqs sovereignty an entirely different issue. Sure there is alot of suicide bombers in Iraq, but look at Kurdistan to see the progress that has been made.
    Kurdistan is a drop in the progress bucket.

China violated Tibet's soverignty and Falung Gong member's right to practice the faith of their choice. (Falung gong is not a religion, or a cult (as the CCP calls it) but more of a yoga group one could say, unlike scientology.)

Kurdistan is a drop in the progress bucket.

China violated Tibet's soverignty and Falung Gong member's right to practice the faith of their choice. (Falung gong is not a religion, or a cult (as the CCP calls it) but more of a yoga group one could say, unlike scientology.)
    Uhhh, this might be splitting hairs, but have you read the English translation (hell or the Chinese if you do understand that?) of the "Falun Dafa", the book of all of FG's tenets? It's pretty cultish if you ask me

Then again, that's splitting hairs, and I agree. But it IS out there, in one man's humble opinion.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

and how many Iraqis have died since you guys showed up? The U.N., ie the international community, told you that you had no business in Iraq. Now you're suggesting that you make a statement to that same international community by not showing up to the Olympics?

Again if China didn't keep its currency value artificially depressed, and have wages which essentially amounted to slave labor then the US would not, but globalization forces a race to the bottom, and for the time being China is that bottom.
    It's not that simple and you know it. If China magically decided to institute a minimum wage of 5USD/hr, the manufacturing would just move where the wages are lower. China is willing to supply the labour for the price. It's not fair, but it's economics.
    -Matt