The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How is my speed (DE bench)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEYjSEaoKBI

this is about 50-51% of my best paused bench(365)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i'd say cut the pause out but the speed looks damn good.. I think I remember correctly a few of the big boys here saying "think of each rep taking 1 second total...and the whole set taking 3 secs all together"

or something like that...nice power big guy!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

yeah, Travis says to bring it down fast and up fast, but i wouldnt do it so fast you are messing up your form. also, what are those people doing behind you? band pull apart shoulder presses? hahaha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    yeah, Travis says to bring it down fast and up fast, but i wouldnt do it so fast you are messing up your form. also, what are those people doing behind you? band pull apart shoulder presses? hahaha
    that's right... go as fast as possible without compromising your form or groove...

haha i was thinking the same thing LXE! people like to make up their own exercises in your gym?! HAHA
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

you guys are right on the money! haha. Speed is the key and i would agree, drop the pause. I definatly think you could use that weight for speed work. I really like your set up as well. Great arch, elbows somewhat tucked, shoulders pinched pretty good and nice leg drive. Very good stuff.

Just drop the pause and maybe drop the weight to about 155-165 to get the feel of doing them faster and then go back to 185. But the guys are right, you need to stay under control (not that you're out of control) so go as fast as you can while staying under control. Nice work man!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    I take a different view than Travis. Food for thought. I like to break the triple into 3 singles. I also like the pause for 2 reasons:

1. It makes me really focus on pressing as hard as I can
    2. When i do a triple, I tend to not lock my arms at the top. This can lead to not finishing with heavy weights.

I agree with Travis on the weights, as well. The key is to be fast. If it "feels" fast, you're on the right track. If not, take 20lbs off and be fast. The weight doesn't matter so much as the speed.

I like your set-up and everything, as well. You look a little unstable. Try to drive your feet into the ground harder and stay that way for the whole set. But, it looks pretty good, either way.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah I need work on my set up, I am a little unstable sometimes and sometimes I get no leg drive. Work in progress.

Oh, the ladies behind me were working with a trainer at the gym. At the time they were just doing stretches and shoulder and hip mobility work (I think that is what that band thing is). Later on they did move to bodyweight box squats, sldl, db bench, and fat man rows, so it really wasn't that bad. I think they were just warming up.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post

Oh, the ladies behind me were working with a trainer at the gym. At the time they were just doing stretches and shoulder and hip mobility work (I think that is what that band thing is). Later on they did move to bodyweight box squats, sldl, db bench, and fat man rows, so it really wasn't that bad. I think they were just warming up.

Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say. Just admit that the lady in the pink sweater is your training partner.

IMO your speed was good. I have always suggested that if you are just beginning with de work do triples..if you have a pretty solid base of speed (been doing it a while) then break it down into singles. I do singles...about 12-14 sets of 1.

remove the pause for most of the de work....it would be ok to pause it every now and then,,,but mostly no pause.

also..the best results for speed work are going to be achieved by using some sort of accomodating resistance added to the bar..preferably bands, but can also be chains. If you decide to use bands...use around 135 bar weight and a monster mini band...or 155 and a mini...will make a big difference in the speed training.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    IMO your speed was good. I have always suggested that if you are just beginning with de work do triples..if you have a pretty solid base of speed (been doing it a while) then break it down into singles. I do singles...about 12-14 sets of 1.

remove the pause for most of the de work....it would be ok to pause it every now and then,,,but mostly no pause.

also..the best results for speed work are going to be achieved by using some sort of accomodating resistance added to the bar..preferably bands, but can also be chains. If you decide to use bands...use around 135 bar weight and a monster mini band...or 155 and a mini...will make a big difference in the speed training.
    I do speed bench in cycles, meaning basically I don't always do it. I usually do it for 3 weeks and then don't do it for 3 weeks.

But anyway, the last two cycles I did speed bench I used doubled minis. I was under the impression you should switch it up every three weeks so this time I use straight weight. I just changed to a better, my powerlifting oriented gym, soo now I even have access to chains and weight releasers.

thats a good idea to wave the speed work...especially if you are using bands and such...they can really take a toll on elbows, wrists and shoulders.

well IMO pausing the weight wouldn't have much to do with locking it out. A single is just easier to focus on firing through the entire range of motion. Harder to do that with triples..plus with triples it is easier to injure yourself as the 2nd and third rep are usually sloppier than the first.

IMO there isn't really a need to train with the pause cause all you are doing is training the stretch reflex..no need for that as the stretch reflex lasts for up to 15 secs.

If you pause the weight you are really just decelerating the weight as you get closer to your chest....some of the eccentric action is being used to slow the weight down before you touch. The whole point is to be moving the weight as fast as possible.

there would be some positives for pausing though. You can stay tighter, you can bulid some pretty explosive power by pausing. I dont do it, but i can see why someone would train de bench with a pause...at least sometimes. I dont think it should always be done with a pause though.

The whole trick to being able to perform de work explosively with out a pause is that when you lower the weight you must be able to release your arms completely, while also keeping your back tight to allow you to be able to control the weight and hold it in the groove...

The main advantage to doing them with no pause is increased speed throughout the entire rom...just takes practice to be able to do it effectively.

So all the big dawgs seem to be split on wether speed benches should be paused or not. Rhodes listed a few of the advantages of pausing, being that he can focus better on pressing up hard and that he locks each one out like a single.

What are the advantages of doing them with no pause (at the bottom and/or top)?

I've done them both ways. I prefer doing them paused, I feel like I can't stay tight when I do them touch and go. Also, all of my other benches are paused, so why not speed bench?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    So all the big dawgs seem to be split on wether speed benches should be paused or not. Rhodes listed a few of the advantages of pausing, being that he can focus better on pressing up hard and that he locks each one out like a single.

What are the advantages of doing them with no pause (at the bottom and/or top)?

I've done them both ways. I prefer doing them paused, I feel like I can't stay tight when I do them touch and go. Also, all of my other benches are paused, so why not speed bench?
    I can see what Travis means in the post above. He feels speed work is more important that max effort. I feel the opposite. Our bodies are different and his way works very well for him. What I would take from this is, find what works best for you. That's been said a thousand times, but it's so true. Without ME work, I would go nowhere. Part of the fun of training is to find your holy grail and run with it. As I look back at my benching, my way isn't working too well. My squat is taking off, though. Experiment, and you'll find the answers.

I really can't say it any better than Paul did. I competly agree. I do cycle my band work, but that just means I'll switch to chain weight every now and then. I'll also cycle between singles and triples. For myself though, odd as it is, I get faster for reps 2 and 3 and am actually a little tighter. To me speed work is more important than the ME work.

The idea is to go fast. As fast as possible. Yes in a meet there is a pause, but you'll develop a better stretch reflex training without one on your DE day. Do your pause work on ME day and you'll be fine IMO

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good post Rhodes. I agree with that too.

You're right about the ME workouts, they are invaluable, but for myself ME work with out the speed of DE work doesn't end too well. The combination of the two is awesome, but if I had to miss one or the other on a given week, I'd rather get in my DE work.

I do recommend a pause in training, I just do it on my ME day